Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lion King (Favreau, 7/19/2019) Movie • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

coleslawed, Shrek and Grapevine_Twine like this.
  2. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I would love to see Disney invest in some original properties. Barring that though, it would be interesting to see them remake some of their lesser-known properties, like The Black Hole or, even better, The Watcher in the Woods.

3. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

I don’t think Disney would touch Pocahontas with a 10-foot pole. It’s better to leave that in ‘95.

Zilla likes this.
  4. Morrissey

Trusted

Being a history teacher, ruining the myth of Pocahontas is one of the most fun parts of the job.

5. A live action version of Emperors New Groove would be weird as hell haha

jkauf likes this.
  6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

they're doing a limited live theatrical Hercules but I don't know if that's going anywhere or just for the one off, I think the Broadway versions make more sense than the live action remakes though
    Hercules- Shakespeare in the Park

7. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Totally agree. I’m on board with any live theatre remakes of Disney films.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

this will haunt me for awhile now that I’ve thought of it

bradsonemanband likes this.
  9. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

jessica walter has to be yzma right

coleslawed, Shrek and Dodger like this.
  10. secretsociety92

Music, Gaming, Movies and Guys = Life

RyanPm40 likes this.
  11. Tim

grateful all the fucking time Supporter

I've never seen it, but isn't Terrence Malick's The New World already kind of a live action remake of Pocahontas?

coleslawed likes this.
  12. wisdomfordebris

Moderator Moderator

Yes, and you should see it.

coleslawed, gonz (Alex) and Tim like this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

it's good

14. RyanPm40

The Torment of Existence Supporter

I still think making a live action Lion King is dumb, but I still kind of want to see it for the Billy Eichner hype

15. Timon and Pumbaa were by far the best part about this.

I know the original sooo well that all of the subtle changes to dialog and whatnot was really distracting for the first 1/3 of the movie. But eventually I let go of that and just had fun with it. It was a good time.

RyanPm40 likes this.
  16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hear Disney just got the rights to Au Hasard Balthazar. Will be cool to see in CGI with Chris Pratt playing the titular character

wisdomfordebris likes this.
  17. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

It was basically a shot for shot and I'll always prefer the original but I enjoyed this too. Score from either movie will always give me goosebumps

18. eight30

Regular

Yeah Timon and Pumbaa were great. I didn't find this as soulless as others.

Dan Quinlan and bradsonemanband like this.
  19. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Outside of any scene with Eichner, this was not good.

Also, maybe this has been answered, but why does the entirety of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight?" take place...in the daytime?

RyanPm40 and ChaseTx like this.
  20. Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

As much as I don’t think that movie should be remade, that is brilliant casting. I could also see Kristen Wigg do it

Sean Murphy likes this.
  21. Greg

The Forgotten Son Supporter

Caved and went to see it today.

Incredible visually. As someone said above, not as soulless as some said it was. But the songs def suffered the most from the strict “real” factor. It lost personally and flair due to that. And Simba’s “no” was pretty weak.

22. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

[​IMG]

23. The more I think about it, I really wasn't a fan of John Oliver as Zazu

fowruok likes this.
  24. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

I thought he was a great choice, as was most of the cast, but the only voice actors who did anything for me were Eichner and Rogen. I think it comes down to direction more than the actors not performing well. I think the decision was made that because the photorealistic characters couldn't be as expressive as the cartoons, the voice acting should be subtle. And the movie suffers for it.

25. Blimp City Hero

Buddy Boy Prestigious

Saw this last night and I liked it, but not as much as the original. This is pretty much an echo of other reviews. Visually, it was amazing. While it's completely understandable to maintain the realism, the animals not being able to emote well did kind of dampen the reaction to the most moving moments though. Eichner, Rogen and Ejiofor were my favorite vocals in the movie, but many of them just felt like it was recorded at a table read. Still, it was an enjoyable experience, with Eichner/Rogen really getting some good laughs with slightly different actions.

ChaseTx likes this.