Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lion King (Favreau, 7/19/2019) Movie • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Blimp City Hero, Jul 10, 2017.

1. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Reading that Washington post article was one of the worst things I’ve wasted my time on this month.

awakeohsleeper likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

oakhurst likes this.
  3. williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

I'm just curious where the extra thirty minutes of run time are. My guess is they spend more time with Scar, they probably drag out the opening a little more. Is there an extra musical number?

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

From what I’ve read an extra Beyonce song and more time with Timon and Pumba ad-libbing

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. Taketimeandfind

Trusted

I may be a little extra harsh because the lion king is top 2 Disney animated for me but I thought this was just okay. The voice acting is very emotionless. It’s missing all the character of the animated version. And the scene that’s basically the intro to Forrest Gump went on a little long

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

7. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

I bet Lion King will have the 2nd highest domestic total of 2019. Behind Endgame but more than Rise of Skywalker.

8. As a 2-hr VFX reel, this is impressive. The movie overall is ok. I thought the voice-acting was decent, and Eichner as Timon was particularly fun. Most of my enjoyment came from nostalgia, and this one didn't leave much of a lasting impact.

Honestly, I was more impressed with the VFX work in the new Planet of the Apes trilogy. What they did with those movies was incredible.

ChaseTx and Dodger like this.
  9. Did it feel like Planet Earth meets Homeward Bound?

10. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Did they shoot background plates in live action or is this film entirely computer-generated?

11. GBlades

Trusted

Eichner and Rogen were easily the best part of this movie.

smowashere, ChaseTx and stayillogical like this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

parts of this really did look like a Windows screensaver lol
    Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen were great, I forgot Billy could sing
    Beyonce was distracting for a second but then it was like go Nala queen
    the emotional notes didn't hit as hard, Mufasa's spoiler alert everything with Scar, and I wasn't sure if it was because I'd already seen them or because of the way it was directed

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

Aside from the visuals, the original was better in every way. Some of the new cast sounded emotionless and I preferred the singing in the original over this one.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. Dodger Jul 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 19, 2019)
    Dodger

“The greatest teacher, failure is”

Watched the OG for the....millionth time? My favorite movie ever (or at least in my top tier). Not sure I’ll even see the remake, especially if it’s basically shot for shot. I got very little out of the Aladdin remake so I imagine this I’ll react the same to this.

Edit: yea I caved and listened to the soundtrack songs. Totally missed IMO. Im going to pass on this movie. The OG is enough for me.

Excited for Mulan though.

15. oakhurst

Trusted Supporter

$78 million opening day

16. ChaseTx Jul 20, 2019
    (Last edited: Jul 20, 2019)
    ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

All the criticism is accurate, if some is hyperbolic. This was fine, visually super impressive, but other than that it adds nothing significant and not really a reason to watch this again over the original. The same goes for the soundtrack: I enjoyed hearing those songs again and some familiar cues from the score, but it doesn't do much different and the original music was better.

Eichner and Rogen were great. The rest of the voice cast didn't do much for me

They did make a plot change in the first scene between Scar and the Hyenas which I thought was decent. Also the scene where Pumbaa is distracting the Hyenas got a pretty fun update

Oh and the opening Circle of Life scene was pretty cool in a way that, yeah, seemed like a tech demo

17. cryates

Trusted Prestigious

Can’t really say I understand any of the disdain for the movie. Yeah, it followed the original nearly scene-for-scene, but it didn’t take away from my enjoyment. The VFX were stunning. Eichner and Rogen were terrific.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  18. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

None of the live-action Disney movies have really made a compelling case for their own existence from a creative standpoint. What they have made though is a F*** TON of money each, so I don't see them going away any time soon. The ones I have seen have all been pretty good.

I can't even say I really fault them for doing these at this point. They already own all of the IPs, and these have shown to be profitable. The only one that bombed is Dumbo, correct?

19. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

This was enjoyable and was worth the price of admission. It’s the exact story from the animated film but that story is good so I don’t care. Here comes Mulan

20. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Favreau's Jungle Book is very good and justifies it's existence

21. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I thought the best out of the ones I have seen was Beauty and the Beast. I haven't seen Lion King yet. I didn't like Jungle Book that much but honestly, I never liked the cartoon for some reason either.

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

This movie being successful leads to more and more films like this being made and less and less original ideas or non-IP films being made

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Zilla like this.
  23. justin.

請叫我賴總統 Supporter

So in a way we are responsible for that as consumers. I am the killer of non-IPs.

24. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

They’ve pretty much run through their run of golden-era films. I can’t see them remaking “Hunchback” or “Pochahontas,” so maybe “Hercules” and “Emperor’s New Groove”? Or a bunch of prequels like they have with “Cruella”? Either way, it sucks.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  25. cryates

Trusted Prestigious