Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lighthouse (Robert Eggers, October 18,2019) Movie • Page 5

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Apr 23, 2019.

1. username

hey you lil piss baby

My list is far too long to post here but it's mostly mapped out here. A few I'm especially excited for are Zombi Child, Vitalina Varela, Uncut Gems, The Twentieth Century, and Anne at 13,000 ft. It's always my favorite event in the city and a huge part of why I actually still live here lol. I was able to get a press & industry pass this year (through school) which makes seeing all these films a bit easier, at least financially. Hope your first fest goes well!

matthaber likes this.
  2. matthaber

beautiful and chequered, the end

damnnnnn thats a list. I got my passes via bulk buying with my boss (who normally seeing like 20-30 films every year during the fest) + a bunch of his bosses, and i was REALLY tempted to just go wild and see like 20 films but i kept it very manageable. I defiantly wish i was seeing some more abstract stuff cause i do feel im just seeing a lot of the more "hollywood" films. Stuff like Joker im only seeing cause a friend really wanted to see it so i got him tickets and thought i might as well see with him.

3. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

4. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I need to stop going into this thread. I don't even know if that description is accurate but it's more than I want to know

Kuri44 and Mrplum5089 like this.
  5. angrycandy

I’m drama in these khaki towns Supporter

I need this

Mrplum5089 likes this.
  6. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

uncut gems at 9:15am?! are you gonna skip your coffee lol

7. matthaber

I’ll try and write up some thoughts tomorrow but this shit was absolutely bonkers. One of the most intense movie watching experiences I’ve had

8. matthaber

This film was an attack on my sanity

9. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

oh god yes, I need this to scramble my brain

matthaber and SpyKi like this.
  10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

ooohh baby that’s what I like to see

CarpetElf likes this.
  11. matthaber

i think this might be one of the most beautifully shot films i've ever seen. Its that rare case where every single frame is a work of art. There wasnt a single shot that didnt feel thought out and deliberate.

12. BackyardHero11

Trusted

stop all other reviews. nothing will be better, slap this on the poster and cover art haha

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  13. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

man. can’t wait.

coleslawed likes this.
  14. Dog with a Blog

Gonna refrain

15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

Yeah Matt’s review was all I need

Dog with a Blog likes this.
  16. matthaber

all i want to do is talk about this film and see it again and again and agin, but ima refrain.

coleslawed likes this.
  17. matthaber

also dont watch that trailer lmao

coleslawed and sawhney[rusted]2 like this.
  18. angrycandy

would you say it's a better film than The Witch?

19. matthaber

tossing this in spoiler tags even tho it has absolutely NO SPOILERS at all plot wise and is just my overall thoughts of the film. want to respect the people who wanna go in 1000000% blind,

I think that’s a hard question to answer for me because I tend to value the rewatchability of a film above almost anything. I think both films stand up on their own and are unique enough in tone and story telling that its a hard thing too compare. I would say this feels like a film by a more confident director than in the vvitch.

The most challenging part of this film is the dialect it uses (first question of the Q&A was “will this movie have subtitles in its wide theatre release” lmao) so Im real interested to just rewatch it a thousand times over and peal apart every sentence and see how my experience of the film changes as I learn and understand more of what the absolute fuck these characters were saying. Listening to this dialogue was like reading Shakespeare for the first time in high school, its like “I understand these words individually, but together I’m lost)

coleslawed, Matt and angrycandy like this.
  20. angrycandy

I got you. thanks for answering. cannot wait

21. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Reminds me of when I watched A Field In England, I only understood about half of what was being said lol.

angrycandy and yung_ting like this.
  22. angrycandy

great movie

Matt and yung_ting like this.
  23. yung_ting

Trusted Supporter

yeah I’m glad I had subtitles on for A Field In England, movie rips though

Matt and angrycandy like this.
  24. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Kill List is definitely my favorite Wheatley film of the three I've seen. It really sticks with you.

High Rise was okay.

SpyKi likes this.
  25. angrycandy

ya know I own High Rise and still haven't watched it in full. I should do that sometime