Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 6

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

probably has already been seen by most of you but this makes me so angry and sad. that Reagan is looked upon as one of the greatest presidents, and that Hillary recently extolled Nancy Reagan's role in "starting the discussion of the AIDS epidemic"... jesus.

2. clucky

Trusted Supporter

3. Dust Of Fallen Rome

Regular

4. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Shooting at a gay club in Orlando last night.

5. Malatesta

Hugs to all my queer folk :(

6. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Holy shit

7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Fucking terrible

8. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

Worst shooting ever on US soil because a man saw two people kissing.

He drove 100 miles to murder people because of who they love.

Tragic beyond words.

9. ImAMetaphor

absence 8/20/21 Prestigious

I'm fucking horrified. I just want to cry. I don't even know what to do today. This is the 3rd time this week I've woken up to news about people dying. What the hell is happening.

10. So tragic. When I woke up this morning, it was an estimated 20 dead and that alone was horrifying. To see the number now is just awful.

11. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Fifty dead with over fifty more injured. Absolutely horrific and insane. Apparently it lasted several hours and he took hostages.

12. Strikegently

close cover, strike gently

It's no coincidence that a man who has twice previously been investigated by the FBI for links to Islamic terrorist groups attacks a gay bar during Ramadan and Gay Pride Month. His father's recount of how traumatized he became by seeing two gay men kiss is nothing more than a cover to try and move the focus away from his religion.

Homosexuals have never been treated kindly in any Muslim country (almost all of which, even including Saudi Arabia who we like to claim are the more "moderate" ones, have a death penalty for homosexuality) and this attack is a manifestation of the beliefs shared across most of the Muslim world.

13. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I posted this on Facebook, but I'll post it here as well:

Now that the shooter has been identified as having been of Afghan descent, let us not be surprised when Trump and his ilk seek to exploit this for their own racist ends. Keep in mind that many of these same people attended a Christian conference in which a pastor advocated killing members of the lgbtq community. And this is what elicits fear within me because it is institutional and we see the beginnings of it in discriminatory laws. This is not to distract from the tragedy or to deflect, but to say that I fear the white men with power, because they foster reactionary ideologies that lead to death, both in the sense of supporting anti-lgbtqia beliefs and marginalizing communities of color in such a way as to foster radicalization.

We can't let anti-gay violence be a means to justify racism. It is precisely because those forms of oppresjon are joined together that we need to seek solidarity with one another.

14. Nick

@fangclubb Prestigious

I've been trying to say something similar on another forum I post on but this is far better put.

15. Malatesta

A Texas Christian lieutenant governer said this was what happened when we mock God

So yeah, fuck people who say this is unique to Muslims

16. Malatesta

17. Matthew

Regular

I'm speechless.

18. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

I've seen comments along the lines of "the shooter was doing God's work". These comments were all from so-called Chrsitians.

It's definitely not exclusive to Muslims.

19. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Alright. So you believe the "focus" should be on Islam. What conclusions do you draw from that? What is the solution? Because it sounds like you believe the focus should be on condemning Islam or fighting it. I reject any use of this tragedy to create or support racist beliefs or policies. I refuse to allow violence against one oppressed community to foster violence against another, and even though you've masterfully danced around it in this post, your point was taken, and I reject it outright.

DarkHotline and Zac Djamoos like this.
  20. Obama to speak momentarily

21. "15th time the president will speak after a mass shooting in the US"

Obama on NOW

22. clucky

Trusted Supporter

do you have a link? I'm on the new york times page but it just says "Live video will be back shortly"

23. Already over. Basically just acknowledged that it is an act of terror and the fbi is investigating. Also reiterated how easy it is for someone to obtain a weapon and kill people in a school, a place of worship, a movie theater etc and we as a nation need to decide if that's the type of country we want to be.

24. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

My reference to Christianity wasn't to compare the religions as such, but to note how heteropatriarchy and white supremacy creates the conditions for both expressions of violence in the American context; it makes invisible their own radicals, then instigates violence against those who are racialized as "Muslim" that then radicalizes populations. Saying "most Muslims" share the beliefs of this individual plays into this, in my opinion, so I don't see that posters view as correct. Regardless, I already see people who are saying this is why we need to ban Muslims from the country.

25. clucky

Trusted Supporter

yeah I caught the later half. I can already see the right losing their shit that he didn't mention the words "Radical Islam"