Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 4

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. boing

Could anyone please recommend some well-written/informative articles on the science behind being born transgender?

2. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

Under the Rainbow

"This schism between the suffering Black queer and the liberated white one is calcified in the ongoing, still-deadly HIV/AIDS epidemic. AIDS and Blackness overlap in the cultural imaginary. Black gay men and women are dramatically overrepresented in terms of rates of HIV infection—one report posits that Blacks make up 44% of people living with HIV. According to the Center for Disease Control, Black gay men are “the racial/ethnic group most affected by HIV,” noting that in 2010 they accounted for “approximately 4,800 new HIV infections—more than twice as many estimated new infections as either young white or young Hispanic/Latino gay and bisexual men.” HIV/AIDS is one of the leading causes of death for young Black people no matter their sexual practices. But a Washington Postarticleof last year notes that nobody can explain “why black Americans, particularly black gay men, have such high rates of HIV infection compared to the rest of the population,” calling it a “public health mystery.”

3. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

My family is involved in a theater group that's very Christian and has done a tooooon of romance plays and gender normative shit, and i offhand mentioned how I thought it would be healthy for them to try a gay relationship because statistically a number of these kids, middle and high school, have gotta be queer and it has be to tough to spend all of your years, in a community that's like a second home, not having any representation for you, and they were like yeah it's never gonna happen, we don't believe it's good to encourage that lifestyle. And I want to throw up.

4. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Not The Onion.

6. BirdPerson May 9, 2016
    (Last edited: May 9, 2016)
    BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Pat's doubling down. Let's see how that works out for him.

Edit: just going to leave this here Donate

Call volume has doubled over this. Great job, NC. So glad I don't live there anymore.

7. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Wow, who was it?

8. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

Their Facebook page listed them as Nerds Want Equality, but she took the post down after the incident.

There's a follow up - someone who spoke to the panelist figured out she was young and not properly educated on trans issues, and the nerves of never running a panel before cause her to slip up when she meant to say "I don't think we'll see many trans characters in video games soon because of sexism in gaming."

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

10. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The trans people should be the ones allowed to carry pepper spray.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen May 13, 2016
    (Last edited: May 13, 2016)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

the Obama administration sent a letter to schools saying that students should be allowed to use bathrooms which correspond with their gender identity as well as offering a primer on being non binary

they also said that trans people can't be denied health care or insurance

12. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

Lot of people seeing this as government over reach rather than North Carolina choosing to discriminate against the Trans Community over accepting government funding.

13. clucky

Trusted Supporter

The irony being this whole thing started because the state of North Carolina didn't like what one of its cities did, so it passed a law to stop it.

incognitojones likes this.
  14. St. Nate

من النهر إلى البحر Prestigious

15. DarkHotline

Arguably an action that's more "punk" than the overwhelming majority of the scene itself.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  16. Malatesta

Yeah which is why when Ronald McDonald said TDB felt manufactured I was like tsk come on dude

17. DarkHotline

Why do people give that dude attention? Dude has such awful opinions about music in general.

18. Malatesta

LMAO WAIT WHY DOES FANT.ANO AUTOCORRECT TO RONALD MCDONALD I LOVE IT

muttley likes this.
  19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Are you talking about this guy? He lives not far from me.

20. Malatesta

yeah the dude from The Needle Drop. he's got a big /mu following i think. idk i never paid any attention to him really, i know he's got some strong detractors and supporters and that i disagree with him on TDB

21. Jake Gyllenhaal

Sorry but what's TDB?

22. Malatesta

sorry Transgender Dysphoria Blues. iirc he said it felt manufactured and it rubbed me wrong (he wasn't transphobic at all to be clear)

23. Jake Gyllenhaal

I just put that together after I posted that. I actually haven't been following the band's music after New Wave and was wondering if his critique was based on Grace's coming out/transitioning.

24. Malatesta

Nah he's as far as I can tell a lot less personally shitty than his fanbase. He's meme-y but he seems pretty decent about his ideas and perspectives. I'm more grossed out by his audience and their worship of him than of him himself

25. Malatesta

Also TDB one of my favorite albums of its year, so good