The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 37

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Prestigious

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  3. Petit nain des Îles

Golden Hour Supporter

I don't know if it is because of my recently improved mental health, and the perspective of getting out of my awful family environment where I had to repress all my feelings for decades, but I'm starting to acknowledge my attraction to men more and more often. I have a lot of work and therapy to do before I can envision having a relationship with a man, but I think I'm getting there. Being reminded that gender and sexual identity based assaults happen on a daily basis by medias is terrifying though. I wish I didn't feel forced to hide my true self as to not get discriminated in any way.

4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

make my wish come true Prestigious

they were way too nice this is so scary

5. jkauf

Trusted Supporter

6. EASheartsVinyl

Trusted

That spoiler is absolutely horrifying.

7. Petit nain des Îles

Golden Hour Supporter

Yeah this sounds triggering and upsetting.

8. xkhiemster

You can't take the sky from me Supporter

mental health professionals: Don't show the suicide.
    13 Reasons Why: *does exactly that*

Trans people: Uhh, maybe consult us?
    Girl: NOPE.

9. nohandstoholdonto

A great poster/person with opinions I don’t hate. Prestigious

I wish I could go an entire day without being reminded how hated trans people are.

10. Petit nain des Îles

Golden Hour Supporter

The fetishization of trans bodies by cis people gets on my nerves.

11. EASheartsVinyl

Trusted

Also is anyone else concerned that the role is played by an actual 15/16 year old kid and there are apparently multiple extended scenes showing his genitals?

12. Mason

I might be in the minority, but I liked that 13 Reasons Why chose to show it. As someone who has been suicidal and self-harmed (mainly by cutting) for years, it was a scene that was definitely triggering, but in a much needed way. (for me that is) Really made me think of all those I could have truly hurt if I was to go through with it and moved me in a way that was extremely helpful, even if it was extremely difficult to watch.

As for Girls, I fully agree, this hate and fetishization of trans bodies/obsession with their genitalia needs to stop.