Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 31

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen Jul 30, 2017
    (Last edited: Jul 30, 2017)
    iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

AelNire likes this.
  2. chris

Trusted Supporter

the breakfast club has been way overdue for a good boycott tbh

AelNire and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

That's the fuckin truth. Everyone on that show is trash.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

When the only breakfast club you know is from the 80s...

God damn this world sucks

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  6. chris

Trusted Supporter

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender likes this.
  8. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Shakriel and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  9. mad

I was right. Prestigious

10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender likes this.
  11. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

not my place to say but fraud..fake? in what way?

12. Philll

Trusted

I think it's basically using her wealth/privilege to distance herself from the plight of regular trans folk.

BirdPerson likes this.
  13. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

Probably that and sticking with the Republican Party

BirdPerson and Philll like this.
  14. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

And going on record as against same sex marriage

BirdPerson and Wharf Rat like this.
  15. Wharf Rat

I know a little something you won't ever know Prestigious

Yeah she sucks lol

16. domotime2

She sucks is fine....idk if the word fake or fraud is appropriate thougg. She seems like the person that has chosen not to make her entire existence based on her gender.

Just because she's trans doesn't mean she has to hate Trump.

17. Malatesta

i think it's completely reasonable to call her a fraud for using her wealth and race to protect herself and then throwing other marginalized people, particularly trans people, under the bus

BirdPerson and skogsraet like this.
  18. domotime2

But I'm still not seeing fraud. I'm seeing a person who has misguided views and opinions.

Did she ever claim to be for same sex marriage or a democrat?

19. Malatesta

i would say she's a fraud for representing the trans community and then pulling her weight in the opposite direction with regards to actually protecting and benefiting the lgb and particularly t community.

BirdPerson likes this.
  20. domotime2

I mean pardon my lack of knowledge but what has jenner done, other than being a Trump supporter, that has hurt the community. This confrontation was at a trans fundraiser no?

21. Malatesta

her support for Trump is implicitly loaded with contempt for the lgbtq community, which she's more or less displayed overtly; i mean, even the fucking Log Cabin Republicans couldn't support him. Trump received the least lgbtq support for a Republican presidential candidate ever recorded. as literally the most recognizable trans figure in America and arguably the world, she absolutely has failed to live up to the expectations the community rightly has had of her.

22. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Because she has the wealth and privilege to do so. Money makes a lot of things easier, and transitioning is one of them. Hormones, surgeries, blood work, doctor's appointments...all that stuff takes time and money. And generally time off from work as well. And I'm not even counting therapy in there.

I am a middle class white dude and even with decent insurance, PTO and a supportive workplace (and home life), it's still a huge PITA most of the time to get what I need just to live my life. Now imagine being poor, or POC, or without insurance, or a job that gives you no flexibility in schedule, or barely pays you enough to get by, or is unsafe for trans people, or your home life sucks...or all of those. Combined.

I haven't chosen to base my entire existence on my gender, but there is not a day that goes by where I forget I'm trans, because of all of these things.

And she should hate Trump, he certainly couldn't give two fucks about us, but I think she likes her money and tax breaks more. Contrast her with someone like Laverne Cox, who boosted Gavin Grimm's visibility and his fight to use the right bathroom.

23. domotime2

I'm sure Caitlyn doesn't forget she's trans either though. Obviously, her transition and her life might appear easier (although no one knows what a person is going through deep down) but I'm still not seeing where the word "fraud" comes into play. Had she ever claimed to have been a democrat or someone who was for social justice? And has Caitlyn not given moeny or done charity work for the trans community? (These aren't questions i know the answer to. Im sincerely asking)

I read that Slant link and that doesn't seem like the most awful thing for someone to say.

24. Philll

Trusted

I think at this point the word 'fraud' is just a red herring. She's clearly a problematic 'symbol' for the trans community and it's appropriate she's gets some calling out for that.

BirdPerson likes this.
  25. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Tell you what, replace "fraud" with "respectability posturing." No it's not okay that she is against same sex marriage. No it's not okay to act like it's no big deal if someone screws up your pronouns. She's not one of those sticklers, nope. No it's not okay for her to support Trump, not if she wants to be a real voice in our community. Donations to charity do not offset that support....because that support leads to the shit we see today, like with the military ban. Or the 18 (i think we're at 18) trans people who have been murdered this year. The 40% suicide attempt rate. She oozes "I'm not one of those scary SJW transgenders" (and yes I am purposely using transgender as a noun here to make a point). There are plenty of other people to look to that are not her.