Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 26

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

she had to take a twitter break because people were being awful and transphobic, it always feels like 1 step forward 40 steps back and it's so disheartening

2. mad

I was right. Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  3. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

mad likes this.
  4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

5. iCarly Rae Jepsen

6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

7. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

LGBQ discrimination against trans people is a fairly common occurrence particularly within the wealthy, white and the otherwise bourgeois LGBQ community. If the intention is to be inclusive of transgender, genderqueer, and genderfluid people I think the distinction is important. Speaking for myself the gender binary has a practical reality in the world. While I wish it wasn't so ingrained into our society and work ultimately to dismantle it as often as possible, I approach that task as a trans woman and will defend my womanhood and femininity to the death.

There is a balance between the reality that is the true fluid and multi-dimensional nature of gender and the reality that is existence as a woman and feminine person in the world today vs existence as a man and masculine person in the world today vs existence as a genderqueer person in the world today vs existence as a genderfluid person in the world today.

Especially given the fact that you specifically note details about physically transitioning I think the distinction is important. I don't personally know anyone who identifies as genderqueer or genderfluid that has had FFS/FMS or SRS or even HRT now that I think about it, but that may be bias due to sample size and doesn't really effect the fact that trans culture and history are unique and stand on their own.

Also keep in mind the availability of language or descriptive capacity to give form to one's identity. It's possible that trans (and cis) people throughout history would have identified differently if the terms "genderqueer" and "genderfluid" would have been common while they were alive and vice versa, or hell even now if they haven't been exposed to them. The point is people's identities are unique and no one should ever be allowed to discriminate against a person because of how they identify and if they try they should get punched in the face.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

9. dorfmac

Trusted

Thanks for the thorough and personal response. Unfortunately, it was a little late as I led the discussion on Monday night, but you will be happy to know that I did make the distinctions you mentioned. Overall, it went fine but of course the first thing everyone wanted to talk about was bathrooms and locker rooms. While I do think that those are important real-life applications of the topic, I did my best to point out that to boil it down to who uses what bathroom is a reductionist approach to the issue and attempted to keep it big picture.

mad likes this.
  10. mad

I was right. Prestigious

11. mad

I was right. Prestigious

12. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

13. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

armistice and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

16. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

It won't go anywhere. Now if they could just take care of redistricting because holy gerrymandering Batman

17. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

mad likes this.
  18. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

19. armistice

Good video and article to add to the repository of things to make ignorant people watch.

VIDEO: Issues of Power, Not Bathrooms

20. iCarly Rae Jepsen

21. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

This thread.

22. armistice

23. mad

I was right. Prestigious

(long post)
    From Bill Nye's new show. This makes me so happy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]