Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 24

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. armistice

Captain Vietnam: Bestower of Tumors

Couple other threads regarding that interview:

The article that Zoé links is particularly poignant. After realizing I was trans and having been raised in a white, evangelical christian environment where my inadequacy as a male role model was constantly interrogated, bullied, and assaulted, it took three years, a suicide attempt, and subsequent therapy just to shake the guilt I felt for performing the gender I was assigned at birth. I hate this line singularly above all others wrt trans issues because there is no trans person on earth who hasn't agonized over the fucked misogyny that society has imbued upon them. Listen...we know...fuck y'all for heaping more shit on us.

Yep, that's his point. Gender discrimination is independent from trans discrimination and the conflation of the two is the genesis of the TERF line of thought and corresponding ftm and gender queer masc discrimination.

2. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

Alright that makes sense to me. I think I was looking at it with a much more narcissistic eye than I'd like to admit. Thanks for clarifying and also thanks @BirdPerson

BirdPerson likes this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

4. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

damn that's a really disappointing answer. initially thought, and was hoping, she would take it in the direction of "feminist intersectionality needs to recognize the additional and unique challenges trans people face in how society approaches gendering people" but she like. went the other direction.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  5. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Asked this guy again. Tagged him this time in hopes for a response.
    and on a positive note, one of my cousin's other sisters has now jumped in as well to try to get an answer out of this asshole.

edit: i really just want him to admit he doesn't like gay people. that's what it is. he could try the procreation argument but his older brother adopted all his kids because of fertility issues, so it can't be that...

6. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

oooooh he admitted it!

clucky and skogsraet like this.
  7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Thread

skogsraet and gonz (Alex) like this.
  8. PandaBear! Mar 14, 2017
    (Last edited: Mar 14, 2017)
    PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

QUESTION - My work is currently creating a new computer system that is essentially a big database of our customers. When testing it out today I noticed that the only options people have for 'Gender' when creating an account is just 'male' or 'female' - what do you guys think a dropdown list of options should contain in this instance?

Edit: I work for a small local government btw

9. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

well, are you allowed to include non-binary options? what is the purpose of the form?

if you can, the least you could include is agender, genderqueer, intersex, trans*, trans female, trans male, and non-binary.

this has a list of terms and should help explain what they mean:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...glossary-of-facebook-s-51-gender-options.html

PandaBear! likes this.
  10. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you, this is great. The forms are essentially how customers interact with us - online they themselves will fill it in and would be choosing from the gender dropdown, if they come in and see me face-to-face I will be filling in the details - and they are used from anything from applying for help with housing (like if they are homeless, for example) to applying for licenses to open a bar. As my boss is kind-of building the system herself i think we can put whatever options we want on the dropdown, and I brought it up because I have met several customers who are trans* and non-binary who should be represented on our new system.

Several colleagues laughed when they heard that a customer indentified as non-binary :tear:

11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

Would def suggest you don't include an asterisk at the end of "trans," personally. It's fallen out of favor over the past couple years.

Also, I would include all of the following as well: "man", "woman", "cis man", "cis woman", "trans man", "trans woman." Some trans folks wanna disclose their trans status and others don't, and if you include the "trans" options but not the "cis" ones then it can be seen as kind of othering imo. I could maybe elaborate on that later, if need be, but rn I'm getting ready for work.

PandaBear! and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  12. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

Thank you for your response - why has Trans* fallen out of favor though? TBPH that post was the first time I'd ever seen/used it!

13. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

14. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I was just referring to social media/online account places such as FB, Tinder, and others that still use it (from what I'm reading)

15. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I have no idea what the original source of this is cause I just found it on tumblr but like...why are Straight People like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Well, *will* there be a drag show? This is important info

17. iCarly Rae Jepsen

the wedding should be a drag show

BirdPerson likes this.
  18. Just imagine, "The bride and bride of the wedding humbly request that every guest in attendance be dressed in drag and walk the runway."

19. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

mad and Contender like this.
  20. Gwen

11:11 // Resident Queen Prestigious

My dream wedding, hunty

Contender, mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

23. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

There's a trans guy name Chase Ross who's been having issues with that a while. Supposedly because of the reviews he does of packers, dildos etc. But cis ladies reviewing the same stuff is okay. Dumb shit.

Contender and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  24. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Ugh, dumb.

25. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Just wanted to share this incase anyone needed it.