Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 23

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

2. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

iCarly Rae Jepsen and Wharf Rat like this.
  3. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender likes this.
  4. iCarly Rae Jepsen

Contender likes this.
  5. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

6. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

7. iCarly Rae Jepsen

8. PearlWisdom

Pineapple goes on pizza

9. iCarly Rae Jepsen

mad likes this.
  10. iCarly Rae Jepsen

11. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  12. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

She is not my gay icon that's for sure...but I am an actual bisexual girl, so I took I Kissed a Girl pretty personal

Contender, mad and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  13. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I Kissed a Girl takes me back to when I used to tell stories about "straight girl" and "poor lesbian" in the apnet chat threads. Straight girl fell hard and fast into her first same sex relationship then treated poor lesbian like shit for 3 years because SG didn't actually like the sex part with PL, just the 'buying stuff for her' part, and PL was so in love she didn't leave when she should have. Nothing like involuntary celibacy!

In conclusion, screw Katy Perry

14. iCarly Rae Jepsen

yeah I don't get it either, I mean I get that Roar and Firework are anthemic but there's still that disconnect

15. iCarly Rae Jepsen

lol

16. mad

I was right. Prestigious

I side-eye the hell out of any organization that gives awards for lgbt+ advocacy to cishets

BirdPerson and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.
  17. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

I've been meaning to take the hrc sticker off my car for a while, but I think it's been on there so long that bumper paint will be coming with it lol

18. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

BirdPerson likes this.
  19. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

20. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

The best part about this is that the woman who originally posted the article has a brother who's gay and engaged and plans on having tons of babies with his future husband. I'm related to all of these people.

Attached Files:

21. iCarly Rae Jepsen

thread

22. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

thread

fame, nohandstoholdonto, mad and 2 others like this.
  23. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I thought this thread about Chimamanda was pretty great.

Here's where I get confused:

I don't think I understand what he means when he says "being treated like a woman because society is fucked up does not make me less of a man." What does it mean to be treated like a woman? Does it mean that we're supposed to be treating men and women a certain (different) way? I feel like I'm missing something here and I know we have trans people in this thread, I don't wanna @ anyone and put them on the spot but I do feel like I'm misunderstanding him here because I'm cis and I'm not confident another cis person can explain this (although I absolutely welcome being proven wrong by anyone who thinks they understand this better than I do).

24. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Despite being called "honey" and "sweetheart" or a mechanic assuming I don't know what he's talking about with my car, or having the guy next door tell me that I couldn't protect myself in my own apartment because I'm a woman (I had not disclosed that I'm a trans guy), etc ....I'm still a guy. Having people perceive me as a woman and treat me in the stereotypical ways women are treated (see above), whether intentional or not, doesn't make me any less of a man. It just means other people are clueless...or huge assholes.

25. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I understand that point, I think my confusion comes in where I feel like when he's saying "because society is fucked up," he's saying what's fucked up is society's treatment of trans people and not just the principle of treating anyone a certain way because of their perceived gender. On my second and third read of what he actually said though I might just be reading what he's trying to say differently from how he meant it.