Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The LGBTIQ Rights and Discussion Thread Social • Page 2

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by Melody Bot, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bliss_forever

Haha it was dtrzcin but I figured now was the time to get a better name. Honestly don't even know if there was a way to transfer post count and all that... Oh well.

2. Malatesta

i may get better but we won't ever get well Prestigious

are you the one that had glass something in your location?
    there was a brief beta period but nah for the most part a lot of users went through username changes, etc. i kept all my old creds because i've got too many goddamn accounts as it is so i keep it simple when given the opportunity haha

3. bliss_forever

Yeah Glass City! Oh well, I was a drifter and a lurker so my post count meant little to me, though I'd been on since early 07. I'd like to stick around but basically in the shadows like before. O:-)

4. Malatesta

Yah okay I've got you pegged now. Well, welcome aboard!

5. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

PayPal is backing out of a deal it made for 400 jobs in Charlotte.

Good, good.

6. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

7. BirdPerson

fuck tammy! Prestigious

Is this where I make a joke about how no one wants to go to Mississippi anyway? Hehe

Seriously though. All of these are going to be ruled unconstitutional. What a waste of time but hey go down with your ship I guess!

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  8. Malatesta

the fact that there's even a desire to push for these laws bums (heh) the hell out of me. like, get fucked yall, why you gotta do this

9. Hey silly/uninformed question but the "I" in the LGBTQIA+ acronym stands for "intersex," right?

10. Malatesta

believe so. lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer (i've also heard and am fine with "questioning" but i prefer using the q for queer personally), intersex, asexual (i've heard "ally" but i'm lowkey of the opinion that as much as i value and appreciate allies they exist kinda outside of the acronym, and we erase asexual individuals enough as is)

Nick and lightning13 like this.
  11. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

[​IMG]

LOL

Trans erasure at its finest.

12. thethingis

Meet me in Montauk. Prestigious

Springsteen cancelled his North Carolina show in protest. Love that man.

13. Old Fuck

Regular

After a couple days with this post, I'm still not sure I'm getting it. Am I missing something? What's wrong with her quote?

14. nohandstoholdonto

It misrepresents the issue at hand pretty greatly. These bills effect transgender people far more than any other member of the LGBTQIA community (other than possibly intersex people who are already p much invisible to the public eye), they were literally designed to impact the trans community. Her quote makes no allusion to trans people whatsoever. These bills are not targeting people based on "who they love," it is dishonest to frame the issue in that way.

Nick likes this.
  15. Old Fuck

Regular

I was going to say something about not losing sight of the meaning behind her message and not picking it apart based on it not specifically saying 'trans', but it's really not my place to tell anyone how they should feel about anything.

16. nohandstoholdonto

You're right, it isn't, especially if you're not trans and are trying to tell that to someone who is. We experience erasure constantly in society as a whole and in the LGBT community. It's not a matter of "picking it apart," she's literally not addressing (maybe blatantly ignoring?) the crux of the issue. I'm also less bothered by her statement than HRC using it as some inspirational fucking quote when they already have a terrible, well-documented history with the trans community.

Nick likes this.
  17. Malatesta

i understand that her heart is in the right place - and the message isn't wholly inappropriate given the religious liberty bill does allow for LGB discrimination specifically - but it was a pretty severe oversight not to speak to trans groups at all, given that they're targeted through the bathroom bill (which i think is part of the bills going through NC and MI?) and given HRC has a history of trans-exclusion - or at least trans-ignoring - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth :/

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  18. nohandstoholdonto

exactly.

19. Malatesta

Did you have a different username on AP, or do I just not recognize you? (hi btw haha!)

20. nohandstoholdonto

I was mka12992 on AP, I just didn't wanna keep it since the letters are the initials of my deadname. (Hi to you too!)

21. Malatesta

okay i had a feeling that's who you were but i wasn't sure if you'd switched names. always liked your perspective, glad to see you here :D

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  22. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

23. TheWater(s)

Kiss The Sky Prestigious

Tyler Glenn of Neon Trees came out a few years ago and recently did a long interview on Mormon Stories since he used to be a Mormon until recently because of the LDS Church policy change. Listening to him cry in this is heartbreaking but worth the watch or listen if you just download the podcast.

24. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

This type of statement reminds me of the one Sam Smith made at the Oscars in February when he presumed he was the first openly gay man to win an Oscar when, in fact, a good number of gay men and some openly gay like Elton John had won Oscars. It just reeks of narcissism and the desire to "fight the good fight" but only as it pertains to oneself. I think Ellen's oversight was owed more to her focus on her own struggles as a lesbian, no shade to trans people -- just narcissism.

25. Malatesta

It's why, I think, it's so important to surround yourself with a range of people of all beliefs and identities - the expectation isn't that a person will become perfectly all-inclusive, just that they'll get better at realizing when they're being exclusionary, and having lots of friends to say "actually that assumption excludes people like me" is, at least in my mind, invaluable.

awwgereee and Carmensaopaulo like this.