Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Letter the Stanford Victim Read Aloud to Her Attacker • Page 3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I wish the outrage would change things but, sadly, it most likely won't.

2. duermete

Long Lost Ceiling

I unfortunately have a family member that went through this situation almost to a t, and the father of the guy said something very similar. Reading or listening to someone say something like that after the pain their offspring inflicted is just as hurtful in its own way. I really hope the worst for this disgusting family.

incognitojones and AelNire like this.
  3. kpatrickwood

Give what you can.

Imagine the type of person that reads a statement like that and thinks "Oh I can get somethin funny and viral outta this!"

Probably similar to the type of person who pleads to a judge for leniency because his rapist son doesn't feel like eating steak any more.

coleslawed likes this.

5. I just can't even handle this shit anymore.

6. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

This whole situation is the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a very long time.

7. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

I can honestly say I have never seen anything about sexual assault that is this ridiculous. I can't wrap my brain around these statements the dad and his friends have made. I'm really grossed out by this whole thing.

8. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I didn't think I could be filled with more rage from this case but here we are

9. rxbandit89

probably over-caffeinated. Supporter

It is astounding that earlier posts touted proudly that we live in a land of laws, but the more recent ones only express a disdain for the law now that it didn't work in their favor. Just goes to show that these entitled assholes only care about their own self-preservation, no matter how much they try to dress it up as something else.

10. rxbandit89

The family's statements are as revolting as they are astounding, yet they also render this kid being a fucking rapist utterly unsurprising.

AelNire likes this.
  11. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

What the fuck was that letter? Yikes.

12. inagreendase

Yeah, it's the kind of cringeworthy parody that doesn't really make the statement good parody should be making, granted. But maybe not worth engaging for that reason.

13. PandaBear!

Trusted Prestigious

TheWater(s), Luroda, bd007h and 2 others like this.
  14. skogsraet

Trusted Supporter

I love seeing women supporting each other. I'm thinking it can't have been easy for Banfield to convince CNN to let her read it all start to finish.

I'm letting my lack of legal knowledge show through again, but is there NO procedure for a judge who decides to disregard a MINIMUM sentence? Or are minimum/maximum sentences just a suggestion? I feel like the judge should at least be required to have other judges sign off on anything exceeding maximum or below minimum sentencing. Even a judge shouldn't have the power to decide "well I personally don't think he's so bad, here's a slap on the wrist!"

15. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Minimum sentences have been used for decades to overly punish people for minor offenses, but apparently they don't matter at all I guess now cause fuck everything

16. Brandon339

Newbie Supporter

So I shared the link to the petition to remove the judge that gave this shithead the 6 month sentence, and someone commented with this video, and then when I described the kids actions and asked if he thought those weren't morally reprehensible, he responded "word for word". I've been struggling with how to approach responding to him appropriately.

17. bd007h Jun 7, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 7, 2016)
    bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

our country's legal system is so fucked up and back-asswards

[​IMG]

and then when they actually do convict someone on not one, not 2, but 3 felony counts of sexual assault/rape, he gets a mere six months?

I don't care how inebriated you are, if you see an unconscious woman and your first thoughts/actions is to take advantage of her instead of trying to get her medical help, you don't deserve to see the light of day for a long time.

TheWater(s), AelNire and Luroda like this.
  18. bd007h

chorus.fm's resident Meg Myers fan #GoSabres/Bills

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here, I fixed his letter (changes in bold)... <a href="Ali Ozeri on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/qsa8TZWsPJ</a></p>&mdash; Ali Ozeri (@alexandraozeri) <a href="
    ">June 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

20. rxbandit89

21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Late on this but I just read his friends/family's letters (had only read his dad's before) and I am just honestly so sick to my stomach. I can't even fathom people genuinely saying and believing the things they are, and that THAT being enough to lower his sentence. It's blowing my mind in an unbelievable way.

22. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It honestly just kills me that this guy will probably never see anything wrong with what he did and he will prob never learn. His friends and family will continue excusing his actions and people who believe he deserves a break will continuously give him chances. Dude will play victim his entire life and it's frustrating.

theredline and incognitojones like this.
  23. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

SmugPug and incognitojones like this.
  24. SmithBerryCrunch

Trusted Prestigious

Fuck yeah Joe. That is great.

incognitojones likes this.

25. So sickening.