Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Letter the Stanford Victim Read Aloud to Her Attacker • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Jacob Davidson

Regular

Proof that the justice system flat out does not care about rape victims. Why would anyone go to the police when, even if they get convicted, they get off after 6 or maybe Even just 3 months of jail time?

2. SmugPug

Why are they not showing this guys mugshot? Somehow this person was able to use their linkedin photo for the press? That says something right there about how out of wack this whole situation is..

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  3. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Using his mugshot would have a "severe impact on him" just like giving him the appropriate sentence of jail time. Getting 6 months when the max is 14 makes me feel physically ill.

4. theredline

Trusted Supporter

Gross.

5. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

It's so wild when parents defend their children who do horrible things cause I know like obviously they love them and everything but I'd be so horrified if my hypothetical child did something so cruel and terrible. I'd spend the rest of my life wondering how I went wrong. Men who screw up like this dude did always seem to have parents who excuse or downplay their actions and it's like hmmm I wonder why ur son grew to be so entitled???

6. TedSchmosby

Trusted

Wow, what a surprise - his father is a terrible person too.

Carmensaopaulo likes this.
  7. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

Blame the parents if they can't even see how fucked up what he did was.

8. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"20 minutes of action"? Jesus Christ, go jump off a bridge.

9. patrick_fantatrick

Apparently the judge in this case is up for reelection in California on June 7th. That's this Tuesday.

beachdude42 likes this.
  10. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Not surprised, I suppose there's no end to the hoops someone's mind can jump through if it means they don't have to face the truth in the end, especially parents. The level of delusion in the father's statement is pitiful, honestly. But I don't necessarily hold it against the father as much as against the judge. The father you can see siding with his son; the judge worrying about the kid's reputation and the effect a long jail sentence will have on him (even after the prosecution only asked for 6 years on a triple felony conviction) is the real travesty here. I'd say it was a sick joke if there wasn't literally nothing funny about it.

And if he's up for re-election on Tuesday, I hope an effort to get out the vote to oust him is successful, if one is taking place. I just hope this all didn't happen too close to the election to effectively organize one.

beachdude42 likes this.
  11. AelNire

@RiotGrlErin Supporter

Anthony_D'Elia likes this.
  12. Luroda

Consistently Lurking

Fuck that shit and fuck that judge! Fucking hell.

13. Anthony_ Jun 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2016)
    Anthony_

beachdude42 and AelNire like this.
  14. fowruok

Trusted Supporter

Jason, thanks for posting. Just a horrifying read. My prayers to the victim and those who care about her to eventually find some peace.

15. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

This girl is a hero.

coleslawed and Jason Tate like this.
  16. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Yep. Unfortunately I'm not in that district, but I hope my fellow Californians vote him out.

17. noKings

Regular

Fucked up.

18. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

This is horrifying, both in how this case was so badly mishandled, and how frequent this sort of mishandling almost certainly is. I don't have words right now.

19. Anthony_ Jun 5, 2016
    (Last edited: Jun 5, 2016)
    Anthony_

That's the thing though, when you think about it the actual case went about as well as it could have. Literal poster child of white male privilege has his bullshit seen through by a jury and is convicted unanimously on three felony counts. That's an incredible thing.

It was the sentencing that was so thoroughly screwed. That judge deserves to be removed from the bench and forced to retire in disgrace. And the probation office needs some kind of investigation conducted into who is working there and what they are on.

21. AgainstMe182

The statement of the dad is so profoundly wrong...

22. Liz

Ew, David

I wonder if he would still hold this opinion if he was the father of the girl in this case and not the boy. Disgusting.

Her statement made me cry; she is the bravest person

23. inagreendase

The language the defense is using post-trial in trying to paint this as "sexual promiscuity" is straight-up frightening. But it's also two-fold because of the weird slut-shaming inherent in trying to say there are even any "dangers" in that. Scary stuff.

I wouldn't read too much into this page, it's not real, it's parody.

24. coleslawed

Eat Pizza

I don't think that makes it much better.

25. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

I'm pretty glad to see unanimous rage on all corners of the Internet against this bullshit sentencing. Giving me hope that as we move forward this shit won't be tolerated. But doesn't lessen how fucked up this even happening is and I'm still so full of rage.

Luroda and AelNire like this.