Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Leftovers (HBO) TV Show • Page 31

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Kevin has what most people want -- yet continually runs away and this is about him fixing what's broken inside. So, so good. But is it too late???

And we're going to get our season two theme music back next week. We have to.

Serenity Now likes this.
  2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Agree.

Do you think this means that Kevin can't die and go back to that world anymore though?

3. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

god damn

4. Garrett

i tore a hole in the fabric of time Moderator

I think that world is gone.

Serenity Now likes this.
  5. Serenity Now

I have no idea where they're going to take this final episode and I love it.

6. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

Damon wasn't lying when he said this was a love story.

dadbolt likes this.
  7. Garrett

My guess based on the upcoming snippets we got is that Kevin tries to stop Nora, who with Matt's help somehow (guessing here) convinced them to let her use the machine. But I also think the show is heartbreaking enough that he'd get there and she'd disappear and it'd end.

dadbolt likes this.
  8. Serenity Now

I was thinking something along the same lines, but that would mean that, if she did use the machine, it sent her to a place where she is or somehow becomes the older women with the birds from the end of the first episode of this season. Right?

9. Garrett

Which, makes a lot of sense if it's the same place Kevin just nuclear holocausted.

10. Serenity Now

Interesting. That would make that scene then...the one with her and the birds...a flash forward into that world. Wow. If that's where this story goes, that would be beautiful and tragic. It would mean he just destroyed the place where they could have been together again.

stayillogical likes this.
  11. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

So far we haven't had any indication that that world is where the Departed are, only the dead. If Kevin was in another dimension or plane of existence from the living, it would seem the Departed are in yet another.

12. Garrett

But I also think the device to send people to the Departed probably is an actual scam and it's just a suicide with a different face on it. We don't know it works, and the Departure doesn't have explanations that we've been given outside the framework of how this device supposedly works with that type of radiation.

dadbolt and David87 like this.
  13. Serenity Now

I can get down with a multi-plane or multi-dimension theory. That would be epic!

David87 likes this.
  14. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

I am so impossibly happy with this show.

dadbolt likes this.
  15. Garrett

One of the secret service guards in this episode is the wrong cop Kevin drowned earlier in the season. Just saw that mentioned.

tucah, Serenity Now and ramomcferno like this.
  16. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

that was a great great episode, makes the whole first assassin episode much much better as well

they've sure hit lost realms of wacky now however

17. cwhit

still emperor emo Prestigious

also the dick scanner and the 6969 password...what a wacky episode

18. kbeef2

Trusted Supporter

That episode was fucking nuts! Best show.

dadbolt likes this.
  19. Dominick

Prestigious Prestigious

I honestly don't know what the end game is here. I think Nora is going to back out, Kevin might get zapped or something, which is why she says she doesn't know him. The show always creeps up close to the fantastical, then pulls away, e.g., the flood arc with Kevin's father.
    Either way, this series is so affecting. The pervasive despair and heartbreak is so totalizing, particularly because it is compounded by the inability of people to navigate a world in which absurdity has been made explicit by one global event.

Joe and dadbolt like this.
  20. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

What an episode. I'm not ready for this show to end

dadbolt likes this.
  21. Serenity Now

Very glad I had just re-watched the International Assassin episode right before this last episode.

dadbolt likes this.
  22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

That was a fun way of getting the former cast members involved too haha. It was clear that in season 3 Damon wanted to move on from a few characters but he still found a way to get them all involved.

23. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

I loved how much of the visit to the alternate world this time hinged on reflections and self identity. Reminded me a lot of the use of reflective surfaces in the sideways world on Lost and for a moment I wondered if someone like Ben or Michael might appear, lol. I know some folks might take issue with narrowing the scope of the show and its mysteries down to "all you need is love", because that was one of the many frustrations detractors of Lost took with it in the end (not me, I was satisfied with the end), but it's represented so beautifully here. Take Evie, for example. In the real world she was killed by a drone strike. The last we saw of her was a tear rolling down her cheek, a perceivable display of emotion uncharacteristic of the Guilty Remnant, as she closed her eyes and awaited her death. Here in the dream world/alt universe, she is vehemently protesting the Guilty Remnant, proclaiming the power of love while under the belief that it was her parents who were killed by a drone strike instead. Kevin wants to tell her that John wanted her to know she was loved, but here in this world Evie wishes she could tell them they were loved. It's a desire she never got to fulfill, a realization come to her too late in the last seconds of her life. For all the deafening silence, physicality, and murky messaging of the GR, she was left missing a greater truth. It stands out to me even more now thinking about how little of a presence the GR have even had this season. These people who have been left behind after the departure can make grand gestures of forced remembrance and suicidal cries for help all they want, but humanity has always needed each other to survive.

Matt likes this.
  24. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

How great was Kevin's Dong Thump?

michaelvalerijr, dadbolt and alina like this.
  25. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Made me feel jealous

dadbolt and thedrudo like this.