Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Leftovers (HBO) TV Show • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 11, 2016.

1. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Yeah idk if I'm as "sad" as you guys are about Lori. To me I'm more shocked. It really came out of nowhere

2. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

I don't think it came out of nowhere. The opening to the episode showed that she had been suicidal for a while . Nora gave her an idea for the out to her grief and she ran with it. Throughout the episode she got to make peace with everyone in her family and that still wasn't enough to keep her going, but it gave her the peace she needed to move on. Absolutely beautiful and devastating ending.

alina and Matt like this.
  3. David87

Prestigious Prestigious

Yep...these and November for me. November is my favorite from the show.

Kyle is hk and dadbolt like this.
  4. Matt

Living with the land Supporter

Lots of great interviews with Amy Brenneman out today

dadbolt likes this.
  5. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

out of nowhere aka... before this episode.

6. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

It's really not that much of a stretch to imagine she was in that kind of place for years. Watched her baby depart, joined a cult that further tore her family apart, her kids hated her for a long time, she was sort of responsible for Jill almost dying...i think this show has done a good job of showing that in this show's world any peace you find is just a lie you keep telling yourself so you can push through another day. Everyone has already at least somewhat checked out.

7. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I cried through almost that whole episode. Still don't know how I feel about it honestly, I think it might have been too real for me.

dadbolt likes this.
  8. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

Laurie's always been one of my least favourite characters on this show but I think this episode did a fantastic job at building her character and providing some insight into why she's done the things she's done throughout. The ending was very well done.

dadbolt likes this.
  9. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I've never been huge on Laurie either but she's been the MVP of the past two episodes for me.

manoverboard365 and dadbolt like this.
  10. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Never really cared for Laurie, but that's probably been because up until now I didn't understand her motivations. Her need to simultaneously be the rational explainer as well as the one helping all these broken people find peace were conflicting impulses. There's no rationality here for people to accept, which was going to create a gulf between her and, say, John Murphy just like it did between Nora and Kevin. I think her suicide is her way of letting go of the fact that folks don't want their grief explained, they don't want closure nor could she give it to them. If she had stayed and watched this group of desperate people kill Kevin on some sort of faith that he'd come back, she would have eventually tried to thwart those efforts - she'd have become Judas, like she was talking about. So instead, she chose to kill herself. That she got to say gooodbye to her kids was a reward to her, as far as I'm concerned.

Complaints that this is out of character for her, or comes out of nowhere, ignore how many of the GR members from S1 have either knowingly / willingly gone to their deaths (Meg, Gladys) or killed themselves (Patti, now Laurie). She joined a cult and picked up chain smoking, ya know. The shelf life for folks involved in those activities isn't great.

dadbolt likes this.
  11. Nyquist

I must now go to the source Supporter

Lest we forget Susan, who, just last season, Laurie pulled out of the GR believing she could "rehabilitate" her:

alina and dadbolt like this.
  12. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

haha, Today's Special... I loved that show as a kid

13. tucah

not champ Prestigious

Okay never posted in here but I found myself in a Twin Peaks hole and didn't get around to this until last night. It seems like I generally liked Laurie more than a lot of you in here but she was really incredible these last two episodes. This episode was so heartbreaking, finally compounding all the underlying moments of pain and suffering as Laurie often tries to put on a strong face until she finally realizes that it was time to let go. I was an emotional mess starting with her conversation with Kevin but when she got the call from her kids...damn. As with so much of this show's cast, Amy Brenneman has done a phenomenal job throughout the show and these past two episodes were some of her finest work.

dadbolt likes this.
  14. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Was gone for a while and just caught up with the last 3 episodes in a row and WOW is all I can say, completely on the edge of my seat the entire time

dadbolt likes this.
  15. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

This show does not keep me on the edge of my seat haha, more like makes me want to sink into the abyss

dadbolt likes this.
  16. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

mentally on the edge, physically wrapped in a blanket

dadbolt likes this.
  17. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

yeah i laid in bed and cried after the last episode. the emotional beats in it were brutal for me.

alina and thedrudo like this.
  18. sawhney[rusted]2

I'll write you into all of my songs Supporter

I think that episode was the best depiction of suicide ever. Really made you emotionally connect with the character's struggles and emotional state, and (I think) the best episode this show has produced. It's tonally different than the rest of the season, and does not hand hold the viewer whatsoever. Absolutely beautiful episode.

tucah and dadbolt like this.
  19. Importer/Exporter

he’ll live forever in the sound of broken glass Supporter

Definitely the most at-peace depiction of suicide.

SpyKi and dadbolt like this.
  20. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

100% agree with all of this

21. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I don't know about you, but I love it when I'm so into a show that I can cry about what happens to the characters.

tucah, dadbolt and manoverboard365 like this.
  22. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious

oh totally, the reason i love this show so much is because it pulls so many different emotions out of me every time i watch it.

thedrudo likes this.
  23. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I just keep tuning in to see if the apocalypse happens

24. Ohhh boy. HBO sends out bits of the new episode's script to fans with a social media following for promotion every week, and this is the one for this week. Just posting the link in case it's slightly spoiler-y.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAwvXF0UwAAOYrJ.jpg:large

thedrudo and dadbolt like this.
  25. dadbolt

Prestigious Prestigious