Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms Band • Page 6

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

I don’t think any of us realized how in depth, meticulous, and methodical that record was at the time. Truly some impressive stuff.

2. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

i never caught that melody/lyrical vibe of a nod to Gaslight/Brian Fallon in "Paradise Shitty" - that's fucking awesome. (also, i cracked up about the second half of the song being from the perspective of mitt romney's dog, lol).

funny thing about the Fallon thing, i remember hearing a story about him having a conversation with Brendan in the Sink or Swim era (somewhere in that era) and Brendan gave him the advice of "good artists copy; great artists steal." not sure if that exchange ever really happened, but it instantly came to mind during this podcast.

another great episode.

.K. and alkalinexandy like this.
  3. alkalinexandy

Trusted Supporter

Oh man, now I really need to get caught up on this podcast! *Turns on "Paradise Shitty" to pick up on it*

4. kupe

Regular

Wait, can someone fill me in on the Gaslight nod in Paradise Shitty? Can't listen to the podcast at the moment and now I'm really interested haha

5. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

In the first verse, Brendan is writing in the style of Brian Fallon. And the vocal melody for the chorus is ripped right from "National Anthem" - kinda mindblowing revelation.

Just as mindblowing as the vocal melody in the bridge being ripped from Coldplay's "The Scientist," haha

.K. and kupe like this.
  6. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Chances of getting a second song before release? I’ve been listening to the podcast recently so I’m in a Lawrence arms state of mind

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I think we'll get a Chris song before release maybe next week or two weeks from now

Epitaph also usually always does a third or fourth track the week of release too

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

New song is up and is very good!!

9. Nick Jagger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

Yep this songs rocks. Going to be surprised if this isn’t my favorite record of the year.

11. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Both of the new singles are great, can’t wait for the new album. So glad this band is still out there doing their thing.

12. kupe

Regular

Wow this song is great. I'm always in love with Chris's lyrics and this is no exception.

13. Kylee

Regular

Wanted to hold off until the album drops but I couldn't resist. Last Last Words sounds just like a Sundowner song and it's so perfect. Love it.

14. rbsfeatures

Regular

I'm the opposite, love Brendan's lyrics but often find Chris's more abstract and less relatable

15. kupe

Regular

That's actually the exact reason I like them haha. I dig Brendan's too though. Love how their albums kinda bounce back and forth between the anger and cynicism of Brendan's songs to the sincerity of Chris's songs

16. kupe

Regular

Also, I love the production on this song

17. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, Matt Allison in a world class studio is truly pretty special to hear.

18. jols

Trusted Prestigious

Brendan having a feud with the capn jazz crew and still hating them is funny to think about, Tim Kinsella is only 2 years older than him, despite the impression that they were an older established band

19. I’m speaking with Brendan today about the album - If anyone has any specific ?’s you want me to ask fire them off

20. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Is there any consistent theme or pattern that drove the writing on this album (a la metropole or greatest story ever told)?

21. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

They just put more white up in their store if you haven’t gotten it yet

22. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

anyone been keeping up with Brendan's other podcast, They Come to America with Matt Marti? it's pretty damn entertaining.

Also, it's been really cool hearing the Skeleton Coast demos on the Skeleton Coast podcast patreon!

23. Kylee

Regular

Absolutely. I listen to them religiously haha! I hope we eventually get all of the Skeleton Coast demos.

24. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

They Come To America is so funny, this weeks especially

Also truly shocking that Breathe Now didn’t make the album, I get what they’re saying about it not really fitting but I think it would be the 2nd or 3rd best Brendan song on here