Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. JaytotheGee Apr 16, 2020
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2020)
    JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Caught up on the last 2 yesterday and just finished the third one today. These have been great. Excited to revisit Ghost Stories and Broken Star with all these back stories now. Never got into either but maybe it will kind of click now

Time to go down a rabbit hole of all Broadways, Slapstick, Falcon, Wandering Birds, Sundowner and Larry Arms this weekend

KidLightning likes this.
  2. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

3. terps12

Regular

I've heard that ex-Slapstick Broadways story before but it always gets a chuckle.

I definitely wasn't around when the Broadways existed and doubt they ever came out to NJ in their brief stint, but it's hard to see how they didn't have more popularity. A few of Dan's songs are very Jawbreaker-esq and there was some familiarity with Brendan's vocals from Slapstick. The late-90s were definitely more ska focused so I can see it being an unpopular style but it's disappointing Broken Star was their only output.

I can only imagine what the Broadways would sound like today with the drastic changes in writing and attention to detail (all for the better) displayed on the more recent Lawrence Arms work.

4. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

5. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Very good episode. Real quick almost 3 hours.

6. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Didn't expect to get a Falcon episode next week but am stoked

8. Michael Schmidt

I wonder how many more episodes they will do. They can go in a few directions.

9. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

they have at least 4 more Larry Arms releases to cover (Guided Tours, Cocktails, Calcutta, Metropole), and maybe an episode about the new album after an official announcement. Who knows what else Brendan will wanna devote an episode to, but I don't mind hearing him talk for hours, haha.

10. Michael Schmidt

New Brendan podcast is great as per usual. Talking the first Wandering Birds record this week.

11. terps12

Regular

He seemed the most jazzed up about the Wandering Birds record out of all of the ones he's done thus far. Some really odd content in this episode, which I guess makes sense given the content on the record.

12. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, he definitely was the most into this record for sure. I think that stems from being in a good place with his family, touring less, and writing and recording his most different record. I also think the tax stuff was finishing up or winding down. I can see how he would be excited about the record and this time in general. I do find it interesting how many women dig the record compared to men. That was interesting to me.

terps12 likes this.
  13. terps12

Regular

I found that interesting along with the aspect that people have "come around to" the record in general. I'll be honest, I loved that record when it came out in 2012 -- to the point where I had it up there with Menzingers OTIP when I was thinking of my favorite material released that year. I'd say I'm less into it today than I was back then. I definitely remember folks being turned off at the time but haven't heard anyone like "man I really didn't like that but it's grown on me" recently.

On a weird, unrelated note. Merch Now's Instagram account liked a few of my posts from like 2015 with a #thelawrencearms hashtag. I hope that means they're announcing the record/pre-order today.

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  14. HalfHearted

Regular

They now have a Merchnow store and I think they are announcing pre-orders in the next week or 2 from what I read earlier.

15. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Lawrence Arms
    4 hrs ·
    Next week we’ll be announcing the new album and all that pre-sale jazz… BUT FIRST, we gotta tell you about the sorta-first-ever somewhat-legit TLA webstore. There’s shirts and stuff over there (and we’ll be adding more down the road), but you should take special note of the Flappy Flags we made. These will be limited to the store launch, so if you wanna show your, uhhh, Arms patriotism, you should get one now. A flag for all seasons!

Go here: http://thelawrencearms.merchnow.com/

[​IMG]

16. Darth Amory

Sith Lord.

Huzzah! Yeah I just... I dunno, I couldnt get in to Metrople.. I come for the catchy "Drunk Mouth Kitchen Smile" or "Boatless Booze Cruise" odd singalongs.

17. kupe

Regular

So stoked!

18. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

the recent episode is a stacked 3 hours about cocktails and dreams!

so excited for the new album pre-orders coming up.

KidLightning and Michael Schmidt like this.
  19. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

KidLightning and terps12 like this.
  20. Michael Schmidt

I pretty much just want the preorders to go up. If they release a new song in quarantine, I’m very likely to overplay it.

21. terps12

Regular

I feel like the whole album will be released in quarantine.

22. Michael Schmidt

Yeah, I’m sure with it being a summer release that’s going to be the case. My point is that with being stuck at home and one new Lawrence Arms song, it doesn’t bode well for me not overplaying haha.

23. Nick Jagger

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

New song is up! Sounds good (and very much like the Lawrence Arms).

JaytotheGee and TomG like this.
  24. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

Sounds like something that would have fit right in on the last The Falcon record.

25. Kylee

Regular

It's perfect! And the album is 14 songs! July 17!