Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms Band

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Melody Bot, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

The Lawrence Arms are an American punk rock band from Chicago, formed in 1999. They have released six full-length albums and toured extensively.

2. I haven't spent nearly as much time with this band as I should, especially since "Seventeener" is such a great song.

3. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

Metropole was a great release. I recommend fans of the Lawrence Arms checkout Brendan's new album from the Falcon called, Gather Up the Chaps. It's really unique and Dave Hause joined Brendan and Dan from Alkaline Trio.

Jake Z and HueyLewis like this.
  4. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

I love both Oh! Calcutta! and Metropole but have been pretty lukewarm on the rest of their discography.

Gonna check this out, thanks!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  5. highfidelity203

Hailey, It Happens Prestigious

Oh! Calcutta! is a fantastic record. I listened to Ghost Stories for the first time recently and really enjoyed it. Metropole didn't impress me as much as their other releases but I need to revisit it.

6. Michael Schmidt

Apathy and Greates Story are my two favorite records from them. Calcutta and Metropole are next. I pretty much enjoy everything they do.

7. inwaves

the ships have all sailed to the sea

The Greatest Story Ever Told and Oh! Calcutta! are two of my favorite albums ever. Love all of their stuff though, except for the first two records, admittedly.

8. HueyLewis

Regular

Metropole slowly grew into my favorite Larry Arms record.

9. Augustus Jordal

The Greatest Story Ever Told is truly fantastic. Fireflies and Chapter 13 are great.

inwaves likes this.
  10. Michael Schmidt

I really want another Lawrence Arms record. I wouldn't mind the Falcon touring the midwest again, but I doubt it will happen with Dave doing a new solo record. I just want to see how they follow Metropole up.

11. inwaves

Fireflies is what hooked me on this band.

Augustus Jordal likes this.
  12. Augustus Jordal

Such a good song. The guitars on that album are great.

13. Jake Z

Regular

A band I really enjoy from what I've heard, but always forget to explore their catalog in detail. I need to get on it soon.

14. Michael Schmidt

They definitely don't rock the boat too much in terms of their sound imo. You either like their sound or you don't. I think there are mostly subtle differences and some better recordings along the way.

15. Olyphantastic

"See you in the car! Best wishes" -Milhouse Supporter

@Michael Schmidt I ended up listening to that The Falcon record a bunch, and really dig it. Thanks for the head's up!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  16. Michael Schmidt

Thanks man! Glad you like it! It's such a good record. And if you like thebLawrence Arms/Brendan Kelly than it's a must listen.

17. timorous_me

Jake Z and inwaves like this.
  18. junkmanserenade

Where are your friends tonight?

Forgot how fantastic a record Metropole was. Man, I love these guys.

19. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Only listened to Metropole, but I'll get around to the others someday. Too much music has come out this year, I don't have time for it all!

20. Michael Schmidt

You're in for a treat when you do get around to it. One of my favorite punk bands.

JRGComedy likes this.
  21. inwaves

Fuck all this ancient history

22. the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Metropole is such a grower of an album. Easily one of the best, most consistent punk bands around, and Brendan Kelly is a treasure.

23. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

So stoked to see them play Oh Calcutta in full this weekend

KidLightning likes this.
  24. Michael Schmidt

How have we not talked about this band since November? Bad job out of us.

25. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

I was just happy to at least find a thread haha