Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms - Skeleton Coast (July 17, 2020) Album • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Jul 1, 2020.

1. myawrld

Regular

This is going to fall into the top 3 for me right behind Greatest Story and Oh Calcutta, without question

Gallhammer likes this.
  2. terps12

Regular

Hard to even rank for me:

Apathy/Calcutta
    Greatest Story
    Metropole/Skeleton Coast
    Ghost Stories
    Guided Tour of Chicago

The top 5 genuinely will alternate depending on mood. Putting Metropole and Skeleton Coast at 4/5 seems low given how much I love Metropole and am loving Skeleton Coast thus far, but it's hard to replace any of the top 3.

If we're ranking side/solo stuff:

Unicornography
    Four Five One Two
    I'd Rather Die
    Gather Up The Chaps
    Keep Walkin' Pal
    We Chase the Waves
    Neon Fiction

Funny -- I'm more of a BK guy when it comes to side stuff but I think my top 10 TLA songs skew towards Chris 6/4.

3. AshlandATeam

Trusted

Not sure why anyone cares, but I’m trying to do this slowly so I don’t just have knee-jerk reactions:

“Oh! Calcutta!’ is totally fine, but not something that’s really resonating with me or sticking. I don’t dislike it, but if that had been my introduction to the band, I may not have ever listened again.

‘Metropole’ is a 10/10. It definitely reminds me of the Gaslight Anthem some, which is always a good things since they’re the greatest band in the world. But mainly, it just stands out as something that has a lot of elements of other stuff I like, but comes together as its own thing. I absolutely love it.

‘Skeleton Coast’ keeps getting better and better with each lesson and remains a contender for AOTY.

Discovering this band has been a really great, random thing this past week. I think at least those two records will be ones that are with me for years, and there’s more to check out!

jpmalone4 and Michael Schmidt like this.
  4. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Based on this you'll probably love Greatest Story as well

Oh Calcutta was my introduction to the band and definitely remains my favorite with Metropole and Greatest Story very close behind

5. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Did you get to Greatest Story Ever Told yet?

6. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

It's probably recency bias but I'm almost ready to put Skeleton Coast at #2 behind Apathy. I think it's that good right off the bat.

7. AshlandATeam

Trusted

The Greatest Story Ever Told is next! I’m trying to resist just plowing through the discography and then it blurring together.

8. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Very stoked for this

[​IMG]

Evolution Kid likes this.
  9. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

10. rbsfeatures

Regular

I feel like I should like Greatest Story, but I don't really. For me the last three albums (and the EP) are the best. They have just improved so much from O!C! onwards (IMO). Understand if people who were on the ride from the start have emotional attachments to the older albums though

11. TomG

Trusted Supporter

What was the first album you got into by them? I remember I got Apathy and Exhaustion and liked it and was loosely paying attention when Greatest Story was about to come out. When it did, it blew me away how much they grew and I’ve been hooked since. It separated them from some of the standard Fat Wreck sound at the time.

12. rbsfeatures

Regular

Was Metropole for me. A friend of mine who has been a big fan for a long time loves the older stuff but gave it a few listens and couldn't get into it bar the odd song or two (100 Resolutions, Are you there Margaret?) Then with Metropole I feel like they jumped forward light-years.

Metropole for me is lyrically fantastic (in this regard better than Skeleton Coast too), especially Brendan's songs. From there I went back and O!C! grew on me a fair bit, but compared to how good they sound now, the older stuff (Greatest Story, Apathy) feels way less complete and well-rounded like the newer songs do. Metropole sounds like them at their very, very best in every aspect. Also Chris's vocals are so more listenable now, so much crisper.

AshlandATeam and stijn_p like this.
  13. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I really like the vocal effect in How to Rot

JRGComedy likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I once got to see The Lawrence Arms, The Falcon, and Sundowner all perform in the same night and it was glorious.

kupe likes this.
  15. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

Very jealous.

16. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

You were at the Taco Bell tour!

17. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Forgot this came out and have finally worked my way around to it. It's good!

18. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

19. razorburn

Trusted

Well, this finally clicked with me.

It'd been the only Larry Arms album I'd had trouble getting into. Seems to rank pretty highly now, though.

alkalinexandy likes this.
  20. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Was listening to The Menzingers earlier and it made me revisit this album. It's still very good. I love Chris' take on vocal melodies a lot.

The Menzingers have always reminded me of these guys, Gaslight Anthem, and The Replacements. Much love to this style and genre.

Gnarly Charlie, .K. and alkalinexandy like this.