Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms - Skeleton Coast (July 17, 2020) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Jul 1, 2020.

1. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

It is horrible, quite possibly the worst tasting thing but I also love it

KidLightning likes this.
  2. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

I'd rather drink Malort than gin.

MexicanGuitars likes this.
  3. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Elder Lightning likes this.
  4. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

OK yeah it's always been pitched to me as a kind of joke, but I assumed it couldn't still be around if that was the case.

That said, I wasn't a fan lol

5. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

6. kupe

Regular

This album fucking rocks

spreadthehummus2321 likes this.
  7. rbsfeatures

Regular

initial (over)reaction is that this isn't as good as Metropole, at least on Brendan's side of it. Nothing as good as Seventeener, Acheron River, YMCA.

BUT I will keep listening.

8. myawrld

Regular

Always happy to see TLA , a long time favorite band of mine, releasing new music. Lots of great memories with this band.

This isn't my favorite album and the Chris songs feel significantly better than Brendan's. I definitely need some more time with it but overall a decent album. It doesn't come close to Greatest Story or Oh Calcutta for me but that was never expected.

9. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I agree with the above 2 comments. TLA albums always grow on me. I had the same reaction with Metropole and I love it now! The Chris songs stand out more on first listen

10. Michael Schmidt

Don't recreate the scene, or reinvent the meanings Supporter

On about my sixth listen and it’s probably going to be my album of the year. It’s so dang good.

kupe likes this.
  11. Gallhammer

Angry Lesbian / Music Lover

I have listened to this album far too many times and while it is probably too early to rank it, I am genuinely in love with it. It has a sense of urgency that, while I love the album, Metropole did not have. The lyrics are as clever and poignant as ever, as expected from these guys. Top stuff!

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  12. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

Somehow never listened to this band until now. This album is good!

13. Michael Schmidt

Hell yeah! Welcome. You have some really good records to dip into once you have played this one out some. Truly excited for you haha!

VanMastaIteHab likes this.
  14. Dog Fish

Mutt

As another new listener, which singer is which?

15. jols

Trusted Prestigious

Brendan has two styles he uses - the high rasp and the low rasp (lead on PTA)
    Chris is the smoother voice (lead on Last, Last Words)

TomG likes this.
  16. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Brendan is typically the gruffest/gravelly voice (PTA for example), Chris is the cleaner tone voice in the intro track.

17. spreadthehummus2321

wanna go for a ryyyde

1st listen loving it. i will be crushed if i miss out on their next tour whenever it is

18. Michael Schmidt

Welcome to any and all new Lawrence Arms listeners. You all have made very wise decisions. Hopefully once you all have played the hell out of skeleton coast you take the fun journey of going through their other records!

Just a heads up for anyone that does plan to go back through, their first two records were unmastered due to running out of money, so those are basically recorded demos. The songs still rock to be sure, but something to keep in mind for A Guided Tour and Ghost Stories.

Nick Jagger, JRGComedy and OhTheWater like this.
  19. thewmaynes

http://johnnymainstream.bandcamp.com

Chris songs are really strong on this. Metrople was good but didn’t click with me like Apathy, Greatest Story and Calcutta did. After 2 listens I am really enjoying this one!

Nick Jagger likes this.
  20. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I find myself enjoying the Chris lead vocal songs.

21. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Like this a lot

22. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Listening to the first two records tonight for the first time in forever. Man, how they've grown. Mostly Brendan songs, super raw, some straight up high school ass lyrics on some of them, lol.

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Present Day Memories definitely starts off more like a typical TLA record

24. TheBaroness

a burst and I'm awake now Supporter

This is the most immediately a TLA record has grabbed me since Greatest Story Ever Told

25. TomG

Trusted Supporter

I take this back. After a few more listens it’s starting to click. Switching to better headphones helped catch some of the subtleties I missed on the first listen.