Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lawrence Arms - Skeleton Coast (July 17, 2020) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Drew Beringer, Jul 1, 2020.

1. the best goddamn band in the world is releasing their first album in six years - Skeleton Coast - on July 17th via Epitaph.

[​IMG]

1. Quiet Storm
    2. PTA
    3. Belly of the Whale
    4. Dead Man’s Coat
    5. Pigeons and Spies
    6. Last, Last Words
    7. (The) Demon
    8. Ghostwriter
    9. How To Rot
    10. Under Paris
    11. Goblin Foxhunt
    12. Lose Control
    13. Don’t Look At Me
    14. Coyote Crown

Chicago bred trio The Lawrence Arms will release Skeleton Coast, their first album in six years, on July 17.

Skeleton Coast was recorded 30 miles east of El Paso, TX at Sonic Ranch Studios with longtime producer Matt Allison. It was kind of like album camp in the sense that we were in this very remote setting for two weeks and really focusing on making the record. That was a very different experience for us because we’ve always made our records in Chicago which is home and all the things about home are in the way,” says vocalist and guitarist Chris McCaughan.

The album contains the elements of the band’s sound that fans have come to love for the past two decades but recontextualizes them in a way that somehow sounds perfectly aligned with this strange time in our collective history. Although it was written and recorded before the Coronavirus upended the world, the band’s seventh studio album sounds eerily prescient as it imagines an apocalyptic future where coyotes croon and wolf packs roam free. “For a band who has been around as long as us, this is about as urgent of a record as we could make,” vocalist and bassist Brendan Kelly explains. “It may be kind of dark but it’s really about searching for light in the darkness and finding it, as small as those moments may seem. That’s sort of where we’re at: Collecting the scraps of things that could make for a bearable existence in dark times.”

jpmalone4 and kupe like this.
  2. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

Very hyped

3. stijn_p

Regular Supporter

Most anticipated of the year

4. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Definitely one of my most anticipated of the year. I really love the progression of the last few records. They are all good but I like them for different reasons. This sounds like kind of a mix of metropole and GSET so far (which I’m really into if that’s right)

5. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

I didn’t get into this band until a year or two back and I deeply regret it. My hype is off the charts for this

6. The Lucky Moose

I'm Emotional, I Hug the Block Prestigious

I didn't know about them before their last album, which turned out to be one of my favorites of the decade

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  7. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

It'll definitely be between this and ETID for my aoty

Michael Schmidt likes this.
  8. this record is their best one yet - they just get better with each release

stijn_p and kupe like this.
  9. kupe

Regular

They truly are the best band ever. Stoked for this record

10. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Hype

11. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I wasn’t 100% on PTA the first time I heard it, but I like it on a relisten. Last, Last Words is great.

kupe likes this.
  12. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Why is shipping on the pre-order $16?

13. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

Here. We. Go!!!

TomG likes this.
  14. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Interesting, first song as a pre album track! Love the set up though hearing this alongside Brendan’s interviews on the themes of the album

15. Kylee

Regular

Drip drip. It's SO GOOD. It's a very "Lawrence Arms" sounding record. They take the signature stuff they're really good at and really deliver some catchy stuff on this album.

16. opener is great

17. JaytotheGee

Trusted Prestigious

Definitely going to wait for the song and hold off until the leak but glad it's finally release week!!!!

stijn_p likes this.
  18. kupe

Regular

Another banger. Can't wait to listen to the whole thing later.

19. Evolution Kid

I may be going broke, but I'm never broken down. Prestigious

Holy shit has it seriously been that long since
    Metropole?! That blows my mind, somehow it felt like it was more recent than that.

Loving each new song more
    and more than the last.

The Lucky Moose likes this.
  20. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

Can't wait to hear this. When Metropole came out, I had just lost my job, but it helped me get me through it. I feel like I owe this band something.

21. Gnarly Charlie

Good guy, but a bad dude

Already sounds like this will be even better than Metropole. What’s everyone’s favorites from them? Can’t get enough of Like a Record Player and Demons from the Buttsweat EP

22. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Pretty much the entirety of The Greatest Story Ever Told is top notch for me. Hit at the right time in my life to appreciate it and it still holds up!

Gnarly Charlie likes this.
  23. jpmalone4

Stay Lucky Supporter

24. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

If I'm going to do a shot of something, it might as well be Malort. It's not really as bad as people say, I actually kind of like it, and there is a whole subculture of Malort enthusiasts and Malort cocktail recipes.