Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Laundromat (Steven Soderbergh, October 18,2019) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by iCarly Rae Jepsen, Aug 27, 2019.

1. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

A drama about the Panama Papers investigation that uncovered a massive scheme of tax evasion, bribery and illicit payoffs designed to protect the wealthiest of the wealthy.

It stars Meryl Streep, Gary Oldman, Antonio Banderas, Jeffrey Wright, Matthias Schoenaerts, James Cromwell and Sharon Stone.

Bummer that Oldman is in this otherwise yes please

2. Morrissey

Trusted

It's been a while since Soderbergh did something big. He is the rare director whose mainstream stuff can be better than his indie work.

3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

been waiting for this one, very hyped

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Meryl going for Lead and Supporting actress nominations this year huh

CarpetElf likes this.
  5. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I love Soderbergh so much. This sounds great. Agree that Oldman’s presence is a letdown though.

6. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

Two Soderberghs in one year again? Blessed

7. mad

I was right. Prestigious

Supporting for Little Women I assume?

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

9. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Really sucks Oldman is in this but it looks great otherwise

10. phaynes12

soderbergh a king

Brent likes this.
  11. iCarly Rae Jepsen

everyone out of Venice either seems to love it or hate it which makes sense given the tone and subject matter

Brent likes this.
  12. iCarly Rae Jepsen

it's amazing how little fanfare this has gotten considering the cast and creatives, Netflix killed the auteur theory star
    it took me a while to realize Gary Oldman isn't just doing a bad distracting German accent but I'm pretty sure a weird distracting Werner Herzog impression, and Meryl playing a Central American woman is also bizarre and Meryl and Soderbergh should know better
    the individual vignettes were interesting and even though I feel like we all know the basics of how rich people do tax evasion it's still infuriating, but it definitely made it feel like less of a movie

13. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I was pretty pumped for this but the recent stuff about it managed to turn me off pretty completely. Don’t know if I’ll give it a go at all.

Brent likes this.
  14. Morrissey

Trusted

This was fine. Soderbergh has been doing such minor work for so long, though. It has been a long time since he made something really impressive or challenging.

15. riotspray

Trusted Prestigious

I didn't even know this existed until today. Pretty strange it hasn't been marketed more considering the people involved.

16. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

fuuuuuuuck this was a letdown

17. phaynes12

yeah, pretty disappointing. at least we got HFB this year.