Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Latest Greatest B-Sides Thread • Page 165

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by blistersoul61, Apr 11, 2016.

1. reaglebeagle

WWI Flying Ace

I got some acoustic stuff from a long time ago. Rockline, Boneyard Studios, The End Studios, WMMR Archives, and a few covers. Let me try and get that stuff together, if there's something specific you are looking for let me know and I can look through my stuff. I have crap ton of crap, so I might have it.

2. danacky

Cheers reaglebeagle. I'm looking for anything and everything related to the band mate so anything you can send my way will be appreciated. If I remember rightly wasn't there demos from the fragile sessions and earlier doing the rounds

3. Justin Brooks

anyone have the Adrianne Lenker ‎– Songs And Instrumentals Japan bonus track "Red Leaves, Falling"?

thanks!

4. reaglebeagle Oct 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 29, 2020)
    reaglebeagle

WWI Flying Ace

Here are some of the older demos (Saron Gas), covers (Rehab, River of Deceit, You Know You're Right), and acoustic songs (Boneyard, KISW, Rockline, WAAF) that use to be on the old Seether Online website: https://we.tl/t-Iz7yly4goT

These are the Karma & Effect Rough demos: https://we.tl/t-fkVZ29z60A

When I get a chance later, I will post a link to some of my stuff that's collected over the years that were not on these sites.

Sebejszczyn likes this.
  5. danacky

Cheers mate. These are fantastic and I can't wait for the next stuff

6. bananatossing Oct 29, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 29, 2020)
    bananatossing

As an audiophile, CD's and FLAC files are usually the way to go for me when I listen to music. With that said, I'm also a big sucker for digital remasters and deluxe editions. With Metallica being completely incompetent in bringing nice sounding CD's in recent years (so much that it gives my MV-60 Conrad-Johnson a run for its money), I have settled on the iTunes remastered versions to come up with a discography that makes sense sound-wise. I hope I can explain where I am going at here with each individual record. Some of these releases are no longer available on the iTunes library, but those I'd be happy to share:

1983 - Kill 'Em All
    1984 - Ride The Lightning
    1986 - Master of Puppets

So maybe there's a reason why remasters of classics exist; some of us like to revisit them with more modern and louder sound. That doesn't mean that the original versions aren't good or that louder means better (I'm looking at you Death Magnetic), but I guess it's nice to play these records on shuffle with newer ones without having to lower or increase volume constantly. As you'd expect, Metallica's earliest trinity has had a great number of treatments. For all three we got the 2008 "Digital Remaster" versions first, then we got a 2015 "Mastered for iTunes collection" which included the complete discography, and lastly for both Kill 'Em All and Ride the Lightning we got the "Deluxe/Remaster versions in 2016, and for Master of Puppets the "Deluxe Box Set" and the "Expanded/Remaster Edition" in 2017.

These attempts at fan service and cash grabs are certainly headache-inducing but I'll make it very simple; If you prefer the originals then that's cool, but if you're looking for an alternative I recommend the 2008 "Digital Remaster" versions since they sound almost identical to the original masters. The differences are basically a noticeable higher volume than the originals and they lack the god awful treble the newer remasters have. They even leveled the Master of Puppets volume equally to Ride the Lightning, and all for the better (imo). Since these versions aren't available on the iTunes library anymore I can add the links for download for anyone interested.

1988 - ...And Justice for All: As great as this record is you're in for a disappointment if you're looking for a version that has any audible bass. The original bass tape recordings, as you may know, were swallowed by Lars Ulrich butt crack and so that's not a possibility at this point. The 2008 remaster, in this particular case, is a complete travesty and you'd be better off with either the original version or the 2018 remaster. As far as I can tell the newer 2018 "Expanded Remastered Edition" has no audible difference from the 2018 standalone remaster so it depends if you're not interested in getting the early mixes and live versions.

1991 - "The Black Album": Without a shadow of doubt THE BEST Metallica album produced by Bob Rock. Either the original or the 2008 remaster are, by far, the best versions to own . iTunes removed these versions to include their "Mastered for iTunes" and it's no good; they buried the drums way too much in the mix, increased the overall treble and lowered the overall volume to match the earlier albums volume.

1996/1997 - Load/Reload: Both had the same exact treatment as the Black Album on the "Mastered for iTunes", but unlike the self-titled it works slightly better here since the original versions have the drums a bit too much on the front. With that said, even if the music isn't really my favorite from them at all, the sound of the original versions or the 2008 remasters are the ones I'd choose just because, again, the volume on the newer remasters are lowered to oblivion.

1999 - Garage, Inc.: Unlike Load/Reload and the Black Album they didn't lowered the overall volume with this one. Instead, they just leveled the drums with the bass and put the guitars and vocals on the front. On one side this shows how these "Mastered for iTunes" aren't always consistent, but on the other this is a case where it actually sounds like a proper remaster. Being released in the late 90's I believe this is actually the first Metallica that was affected by the loudness war (even though anyone rarely, if ever, mentions it) and I can't stand listening to the original mix anymore. No surprise the more Lars loved the smell of his own farts the louder his fucking drums sounded on record. *S&M pretty much got the same treatment that Garage Inc had and all for the better. Definitely get the "Mastered for iTunes" versions currently available.

2003 - St. Anger: While for some people it's hard to imagine anyone giving a shit about this the 2015 "Mastered for iTunes" is... well, useless. There's barely any audible difference and it sounds almost just as muddled. They didn't even bother with the snare drum.

2008 - Death Magnetic: Fans have always been hunting for the best remix of this record and it's no surprise why. iTunes attempted to upload a version with lower volume than the one on the CD but instead of fixing the problem they pretty much compressed the sound to death and failed miserably. That was the only version available up until the release of the "Mastered for iTunes" series in 2015. They tried giving it a proper remaster this time but ultimately sounds too low (imo) and muffled. It wasn't until 2018 when iTunes randomly uploaded a version of Death Magnetic re-remastered with decent success. It doesn't sound as low or muffled as the 2015 one and also doesn't sound as loud as the first compression they made. I don't know if it is still available on the library, but I can also share the link for anyone interested.

7. danacky

Any fans of The Beyond, Gorilla and Cable (Neil Cooper era) on here? I'm looking for some stuff in lossless if anyone can help. Cheers

8. reaglebeagle Oct 30, 2020
    (Last edited: Oct 30, 2020)
    reaglebeagle

WWI Flying Ace

Holding On To Strings Better Left To Fray Instrumentals: https://we.tl/t-Ypy77Z2rU5
    WalMart Soundcheck, Rhapsody Originals, SiriusXM Unleaded & Artist Confidential, VR Sessions, WGRD, WMMR archive acoustics: https://we.tl/t-Wh9r3fNzcG
    Locked & Live: Seether - Locked and Live 2020 - Google Drive

These are all better audio quality rips I've collected throughout the years and most are not on websites anymore. Enjoy!

Sebejszczyn likes this.
  9. code-bleu

Elvis Christ

blistersoul61 likes this.
  10. phantasmo33

SON OF CRADOSSK

Does anyone happen to have Stabbing Westward's cover of 'Burn' by The Cure? It's on a compilation called Cold Waves 2020.

Thanks!

11. danacky

Cheers mate ,these are fantastic. Never heard most of these before :) can't wait to see what else you've got

12. cultmetfan

Regular

13. powernoize

It's on their new EP Hallowed Hymns that was released yesterday via their bandcamp page. pm me your email.

14. phantasmo33

SON OF CRADOSSK

Oh, nice! I didn't know that was released, but I just downloaded it. Thanks for the offer, though! :)

15. 1984rocks

With most people, you either love the sound of this album...or you hate it. I love it for what it is, but always wondered what a version with bass would've sounded like. I've listened to a bunch of the "And Justice For Jason" bootlegs where bass has been inserted, but then I stumbled across a Reddit thread touting another Justice bass mix, and it actually blew me away. And most of it is the master bass tracks that Jason laid down. The others are from an anonymous source. He put up 5 different versions, 1 having the least audible bass guitar, 5 being the most audible.

I'd recommend at least giving version 3 a listen.
    6.45 GB folder on MEGA

Sample via YouTube:

Description:
    "I fixed the frequencies of the bass guitar as not to clash with the frequencies of the other guitars. By this I mean that James is playing in the bass guitar frequency already, and to make Jason fit, his sound can't fit where James is occupying the same space. By cutting the low end and boosting the mids, I made Jason fit in the area where the guitars are scooped. The result is a much less muddy version than ANY of the other remasterings out there, which all sound to my ear as if someone just layed their own bass track on top of the original recording and called it a day. The result is that you end up with a sound that isn't as flat or thin, but still retains the feel of what both Kirk and James were going for with their tone.

I used a rip of the original vinyl for the base of the tracks and EQed them in several passes to bring out the thud on the bass drum as opposed to the much maligned clicking.

Jason's bass masters were used for Blackened, And Justice For All, One, The Shortest Straw & Dyer's Eve. My original remixes were well received over the last couple years but I kept getting messages that for some people they thought the bass was mixed perfectly, but too loud, or too quiet for some, (a few even noticed I let them get out of tempo... dammit) and I've been asked many times about the missing tracks... So here is my response. I re-remixed all of it.

The "other" tracks are from an anonymous source who simply told me to "Use these." I do not know where they originated... but I am sure they are not Jason's tracks, rather, studio quality covers, most likely played to tab. If the actual players can be found I will give them the credit for their playing. The "cover" bass tracks had to be heavily edited for tempo and tone and in many cases I had to go in between many notes to cut them out and paste them where they should go. Some tracks were clean and others used distortion, which was also a clue... I am guessing it was at least two different bass players who recorded these... SO, If I used your work, please let me know so others may know you helped me perfect this album."

alphab0t likes this.
  16. mrpants

Since it's been almost a month, does anyone possibly have these? Thanks!

17. Yellowcard2006

Trusted

Been digging into Finch lately

Anyone have the Say Hello To Sunshine bonus tracks in decent quality?

Or any other rarities?

18. cyanfire

Regular

I'll take all the ones that are no longer available if possible please, would love to compare them with the ones i have.

19. Daedalus84

What are the odds anyone has the Bonus disc for Circa Waves album “what’s it like to be you”?

Bonus Disc
    1 Something More 3:05
    2 Two Of A Kind 3:12
    3 Hunters 2:55
    4 Ordinary Life 4:08
    5 Movies (Alternate Version)

and while I’m here, also the bonus disc to their album “sad happy”?

1. Gun In My hand
    2. The Only One Who Let's Me In
    3. Sugar Side
    4. Anti Social Anxiety

20. silverjetz

The Dude Abides

Hi - any Arkells fans that might be able to share their '12, '14 & '16 Daytrotter sessions by chance? Thx

21. silverjetz

The Dude Abides

Congrats my American friends - reason prevailed, albeit by a very narrow margin..

alphab0t, blistersoul61 and Skinkie like this.
  22. blistersoul61

It's a space station!

Hey all, looking for lossless of the bonus disc of Wilco Summerteeth and Sum Aren't. Looking for just the bonus disc. Have in 320, wanna grab lossless. Thanks in advanc.

23. Justin Brooks

you may already know this, but that disc is composed of tracks from AM and Being There and all of the rarities are contained on the 4-disc rarities set Alpha Mike Foxtrot, so if you get that, you don't need that disc. it's the All Over The Place EP that someone needs to rip because it contains two live tracks not duplicated elsewhere!

julz likes this.
  24. code-bleu

Elvis Christ

Thanks for your well-wishes. A lot of happy, relieved people in America right now. Unfortunately, yes, there are plenty who are not. Tough challenges ahead.

TaraCynara likes this.
  25. blistersoul61

It's a space station!

Justin, I did not know that! I have that set in 320, but getting it from the library in lossless, so I will be good.