Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Late Night Talk Show Thread TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by xkaylinh, Apr 2, 2016.

1. I don't know if we want separate threads for each host like we did before in addition to this one. Regardless, I guess we could use this thread for more general discussion, post clips of cool stuff that pops up, etc.

2. This past Thursday's Colbert was great. Sarah Paulson, Tatiana Maslany (who I think should've had more time, but whatever) and a surprise appearance from:

3. What are peoples feelings on Trevor Noah here?

4. I haven't watched the two new Comedy Central shows since Jon and Stephen left.

5. mouood

ever seen a guy say goodbye to a shoe? Prestigious

I spend far too much time watching old Conan clips.

6. I haven't watched any of Trevor's show, either--I don't have Comedy Central. I briefly saw some of Larry Whitmore; my friend described him as being mean without being funny, I can kind of see that.

Seth Meyers wasn't very good when he first started out, but now his A Closer Look segments are about as good as John Oliver's shorter ones. I'm sure Trevor will do fine in the long run.

7. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

So is it generally agreed that Seth Meyers is fantastic now? I really think he is. My new ranking is

Conan>Meyers>Colbert>Fallon>Kimmel>Corden

8. Personally, I'd rather not rank them, although I do tend to watch more full episodes of Colbert and Oliver than of anyone else. I think the election season (Trump) has helped Colbert and especially Meyers come up with some quality content.

9. drstrong

I'm Back.

Conan is still the best, hands down. Not to mention he's the only remaining talk show host out of the big 3 (Leno, Letterman and Conan).

10. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Are political shows on the table? I basically only watch The Daily Show, Last Week Tonight, and occasional Maher. Every now and again I will watch Kimmel clips, but that's about it.

11. I didn't really pay attention to late night until the Conan/Leno feud, so I didn't watch Conan when he was on NBC, and I don't have TBS, so I only watch clips on YouTube or his website. It's kind of like how, since I don't have Comedy Central, I didn't watch Colbert until he was on CBS.

I just watched the Conan in Korea episode. Topics were food, language, religion, video games, k-pop, k-dramas, and the border with North Korea. As much of a good time as it was, I didn't like this one as much as the Conan in Armenia episode. Steven Yeun is only in half of it (Conan travels with Sona for the entire Armenia episode). The episode (understandably) focused so much on the technological aspects of the culture, whereas the Armenia episode dealt more with tradition. The clip at the Armenian Genocide Memorial was much more poignant than the clip they filmed on the North and South Korean border, which was tense for sure, but mostly silly. I was definitely smiling the whole episode, though. The clip with Conan and his Korean language coach was super awkward.

I've also seen the one where Conan visits a military base, but I haven't seen Conan in Cuba. I think he's the only host that takes his show to different countries, whereas when other hosts travel, they tend to stay within the US.

12. Kimmel is having a bunch of Marvel people this week. Team Cap last night, Clark Gregg and Benedict Cumberbatch tonight, Team Iron Man tomorrow, Chris Hemsworth Thursday.

13. I do wonder, though, where's ScarJo and Lizzie Olsen in all this? Were they not even asked? I guess Emily VanCamp is on tonight, but she doesn't have as major of a role I don't think.

14. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

Yeah Conan and Colbert are kings of late night. When I catch Meyers, his segments are always really good and clever; I personally think he is weak on his monologue and off-the-cuff.

Trevor Noah is a bit of a wildcard. I try to catch at least recaps of the Daily Show and he is doing fair, but he laughs at his own jokes too much and I don't think he has developed a style. American politics need not a an American to comment on it (see John Oliver killing it), but he seems to lack some authority or expertise on the matter. In the case for Jon Stewart, he always led his correspondents in meaningful discussions on the minutia of topics, Noah seems to be led by his correspondents who are putting out most of the really good content then he adds in a sometimes pithy comment.

15. ForestOfAllusion

Old Aesthetic Prestigious

We can all agree James Cordon is awful.

16. aranea

Trusted Prestigious

I cannot agree, actually. I think he's funny, I like his carpool karaoke videos, and he doesn't come across like he's trying too hard. And a nice bonus, he actually can sing fairly well. I think he's refreshing and brings something new to the table. I like how, like Jimmy Fallon, he has a real love for music and puts emphasis on it in his show.

17. Just the fact that Corden has multiple guests on the couch at once, who often have nothing to do with each other, like Graham Norton does, makes him worth watching for the unexpected interactions between guests. I think Graham does it better, but Corden's still funny at times, especially when he's fake mad.

18. I don't think Corden is awful and having Reggie as his bandleader is certainly a plus.

I'm still not over the loss of Craig. I've watched the first handful of Join or Die and it's been enjoyable but it's just not the same without Geoff.

19. Meerkat

human junk drawer Prestigious

I really like James Corden. And I do love having multiple guests on the couch at once. The episode with Olivia Wilde, Melissa Benoist, and Saoirse Ronan was great

lightning13 likes this.
  20. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I don't necessarily dislike Corden but he's easily my least favorite. I don't find him very funny, and I find that a lot of his bits, including Carpool Karaoke (actually especially so) try to hard and I don't get much enjoyment out of them. I do like his panel style interviews though. I also feel that Reggie Watts is wasting his talent there, he barely gets to do anything.

21. joe727 Apr 16, 2016
    (Last edited: Apr 16, 2016)
    joe727

A DILAPIDATED BOAT! Prestigious

I was watching that Sixties doc series on Netflix and on the tv episode they were talking about the late night talk show scene of the 1960's and I realized that Jimmy Fallon is trying to be Johnny Carson and Stephen Colbert is trying to be Dick Cavett.

The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson was about creating a party atmosphere where you get to see his funny interactions with hollywood celebrities, alot of whom were his friends. It was almost like getting a sneak peak into a hollywood party where all your favorite celebrities were relaxed and having fun.

The Dick Cavett Show was about having interesting and insightful, yet funny conversations with not just celebrities but artists, politicians, writers, musicians, academics, ect. Cavett was like your charming and witty college professor bringing in interesting people to speak with the class.

clockwise and tdlyon like this.
  22. Last Week Tonight segment on Puerto Rico was really good.

23. Seth's A Closer Look is consistently very good. The one just posted about Detroit teachers was angering.

24. tdlyon

Most Dope Supporter

I just think Seth is consistently good in general now. He's probably my second favorite now after Conan

25. T.J.

music and baseball.

John Oliver's main topic tonight is so good and so spot on. He's really speaking out an a very important issue. It's something that I've wanted someone to point out for such a long time now. I can't get enough of this show.