Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Last VCR Will Be Manufactured This Month

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jul 22, 2016.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

QZ:

Surprising fact: there’s a company still making video-cassette recorders, or VCRs. But that will change at the end of this month.

Japan’s Funai Electronics, which makes its own electronics, in addition to supplying companies like Sanyo, will produce the last batch of VCR units by July 30, Nikkei reported (link in Japanese). The company cites difficulty in obtaining the necessary parts as one of the reasons for halting production.

2. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Not ashamed to say that I still use mine and prefer it. Had the same one since 2006 and it shows no signs of being unreliable. Even if it does, I'll just buy a second hand one from some goodwill/slavation army/online/etc.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  3. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

What do you like about it?

4. shogunTORTOISE

Regular

Not really sure how to describe it. Perhaps it's just an aesthetic thing or I'm just blinded by nostalgia? Who knows? But I still find myself using this to record my shows as opposed to getting DVR.

bradsonemanband likes this.
  5. JRGComedy

Trusted Supporter

Ah, just curious! Thanks for the reply, haha

6. Ryan

Might be Spider-Man...

My grandpa got a dvd/vcr combo awhile ago and actually abandoned his vhs tapes. Him of all people

7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Makes sense, right as people are starting VHS collections

CMilliken, Raku and Essie like this.
  8. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

I seriously thought these would have faded out of existence after the combo vhs/dvd players went out of style. I honestly might by one at some point. I still have most of the disney movies on vhs and can eventually teach my kid what miserable and patient people we were back in the day.

9. Bayside 182

Wolverine Supporter

Some indie movie production company is likely now going to plan to release a movie soley on vhs in ten years

10. cybele

set our hearts ablaze Supporter

My household (aka my mother and I) had a combo DVD/VHS player up until December this year. We used the VHS purely to record stuff on TV but have since upgraded to a DVR system and honestly haven't looked back. I feel like I clung onto the idea of owning a VHS for a while but honestly it's been such a great upgrade that it's difficult to imagine life with basic recording.

As for filmmaking abilities I definitely have different thoughts. But for my very personal use? I can see why and how it has become obsolete.

11. DesolateEarth

Birb

My grandmother still has one and we actually watched a movie on it last time we visited her. It was such a pleasant blast from the past to hear it rewind the tape after the movie ended.

12. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

I feel like I had an interesting upbringing that for me and my family I saw the rise and fall of VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, then all digital all in my youth.

RIP, may hipsters allow you to be remembered fondly and resuscitated often.

JRGComedy likes this.
  13. CMilliken

Trusted

When my niece and nephews come over to my parents house they always pick a VHS To watch. Still have most of the old Disney ones. They think they are the coolest things. Mind you they are 1-8 years of age.

ChaseTx likes this.
  14. atlastitsok

Regular

Don't forget hddvd on that list!

15. Anticitizen7

Please be kind. Like actually kind though.

Nah man, I got a PlayStation for 599 U.S. Dollars so I went straight to Blu Ray!

ChaseTx and Dirty Sanchez like this.
  16. AP_Punk

achin' to be Prestigious

17. Dirty Sanchez

Prestigious Prestigious

This fall, you can get a PS4 Neo version for prob $499 with UHD Blu-Ray. Not quite the same, but close haha.

18. K0ta

wrap yourself in petals for armor.

I save all my Disney VCR's so that one day I'll make millions! Just like my mom and her Beanie Babies.

No but really, I still have them.

19. doubledribble

Regular

@Jason Tate we all know you have a VCR haha tell us!

20. doubledribble

Regular

Do you use it? I can't remember he last time I used my DVD player, which is a little sad.