Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Last of Us Part II (PS4, June 19, 2020) Video Game • Page 29

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by johnnyferris, Jun 12, 2018.

1. prattsy

Regular

I'm late (really late) on this game but finished play through last night and honestly didn't have any spoilers or anything before playing.

I won't spoil anything, but I will read my mental state going in to initial play and by the end...

When I bought the game, it was because a forum I frequent for Video Game deals said it was down to 49.99 - I figured that's as low a price as any. However in the forum were HUNDREDS of threads saying the game should be free, it was trash, "they should have to pay me to play this". So many comments, I actually went to metacritic and had to see if the critics were as cruel - but no, it's a solid 90+ - however the User Ratings caught my eye again.... soooo low.

Whatever, I'm my own person and I loved the first game, bought it, and binged it as much as I could. I'll be honest - I stopped a few times just because of how emotionally exhausting it was at times. I think there's a segment where you descend a giant skyscraper and within 5 minutes you're entering an infected hospital. There's not much levity but man alive, the game is beautiful and dark. It gives an ambience and vibe that most games never even come close to.

I finished the game and knew I needed time to sit with the ending but for the most part, the game was incredible. Enthralling, graphically wonderful, gameplay was unlike anything I've played, and a game I would recommend as a must-play for any gamer.

With the game over, I wanted to go read why such hate and vitriol. I honestly assumed it was for a moment early in the game but holy smokes it's not. I think this site is pretty progressive so I know my thoughts will likely be shared here - but I cannot get over the rage people feel about this game. I would've never expected a character like Lev for example would cause such anger and venom. These people are so offended they're sinking reviews to get back at Naughty Dog. This is insane and pathetic.

2. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Torn if I should buy this on Black Friday for 30 bucks or wait for a potential remaster for PS5

3. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

I wish sinking reviews were the worst of it. These assholes went to the voice actors Twitter and said some horrible, horrible things. Like they hope their kids die type of bad. It blows my mind.

4. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

This is one of those games I can't imagine how a remaster would look. It's so damn impressive.

bodkins likes this.
  5. GBlades

Trusted

I'd say get it now whilst its cheaper rather than wait for an update. There's a PS5 update coming and I don't imagine just how much they could really remaster with it.

ghostedaway likes this.
  6. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

It may also just receive an update through PSN. Just go for it and the experience.

ghostedaway likes this.
  7. ghostedaway

bryan Prestigious

Yeah I think I’ll buy it next week for sure. Ty ty

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Probably my game of the year

Joe4th and bodkins like this.
  9. flask

Trusted Supporter

Need to erase this game from my brain so I can play it again.

10. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Seriously. Just want to experience the island segment at least

11. soggytime

Trusted

I'm confident with calling it my game of this gen

JimmyIymmiJ, Contender and bodkins like this.
  12. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

A+

bodkins likes this.
  13. clucky

Trusted Supporter

Yeah I think there are certainly some valid criticisms to the game. Video games for many people are supposed to be a way to relax, not be an exhausting experience. So its perfectly reasonable for people to go "This type of narrative isn't really my cup of tea". But that is a reason to just not play the game. To me, the game gave a lot of similar vibes to Six Feet Under in just how relentlessly dark and borderline cruel to its characters it was. Which some people really enjoy and for some people its understandably a bit much.

But if the game isn't for you, go play a game that is for you. Not every video game has to be an experience everyone enjoys. And if you actually look at what generated all the hatred and vitriol it has very little to do with the actual narrative.

mattfreaksmeout and Contender like this.
  14. bodkins

Trusted

15. flask

Trusted Supporter

16. shea

RIP Supporter

Hell yeah

17. flask

Trusted Supporter

bodkins and phaynes12 like this.
  18. jeremyxbolm

Touche Amore Verified

Interviewed Halley Gross on the latest episode of The First Ever Podcast

Writer on The Last of Us II, Westworld, Too Old to Die Young, and more!

[​IMG]

19. flask

Trusted Supporter

@jeremyxbolm what was your favorite section of the game ?

20. prattsy

Regular

You're not asking me but I'm answering because I played this game late and never got to relish in the conversation about it!

I truly loved the majority of the game but two parts in particular:

The building descension with Abby. That was the perfect thriller/fright mix I can get behind. The hospital "ground zero" part was actually TOO creepy for me and I felt like I was essentially shutting my eyes and moving forward haha

The second was trying to kill Ellie as Abby. It was such a cool spin where I've spent this whole game trying to kill her, then I see her perspective and how Ellie just destroyed her life. I felt really attached to that moment and truly conflicted

flask likes this.
  21. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Cameron, flask and bodkins like this.
  22. flask

Trusted Supporter

Gonna lose my shit when they drop the first trailer for that.

bodkins likes this.
  23. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Whoaaas

24. White

Cum for the Cum God. Prestigious

Now they should cast Hafthor Bjornsson to play a bloater.

25. I Am Mick

@gravebug Prestigious

I absolutely love Pedro, but I’m having a hard time picturing him as Joel. Excited to see though