Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Last of Us Part II (PS4, June 19, 2020) Video Game • Page 27

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by johnnyferris, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I think the representation part is definitely needed. Lev was by far my favorite part of the game (including the island bit), but as a whole I think the story doesn't hit as hard for me because it just was brutal for brutality's sake and moments of the game that felt like they went against the grounded elements of the first game and the world they had established. I didn't care for Dina at all and felt a lot of the characters were just objectives rather than people.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about this game, but I think the first one is stronger overall. Maybe because it's less ambitious so it doesn't crack under trying to do too much. There's a lot more moments in this game where I rolled my eyes at decisions being made or story beats because they felt much less realistic.

DickyCullz likes this.
  2. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

*shrug* completely disagree with you yet again

also, rarely did I ever feel the game was brutal just for brutality’s sake or that’s even a fair criticism to levy against a mature video game in the year 2020

3. TomG

Trusted Supporter

Just finished this. I managed to avoid all spoilers. I’m blown away and finally just blasted through the last few pages of this thread I’ve been avoiding for weeks. I had to stop a few points in this game and just look around at the landscape. I don’t get where some hate for this game came from based on early review perusing.

4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

That's fair. I found most of the characters unlikable and decisions made to be completely unrealistic.

5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I do however think the gameplay mechanics, set pieces, graphics and acting are all stellar. So probably around an 8/10 for me? I don't know. Scores are stupid. Just had some real weird parts. Especially the hospital.

6. Cameron Aug 1, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2020)
    Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

The hospital part will stick with me a long time. Just to be clear your referring the part in the hospital when Abby is by herself? Cuz I played that unknowingly when I was by myself with the lights off.

Absolutely terrifying. Reminded me of Condemned

7. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I thought the Rat King was ridiculous and pulled me out of the world. It made me feel like I was play Resident Evil.

8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

First of all Vase......RE is amazing do I need to explain this? I thought for sure you would be a fan of the series no? Secondly I agree The Rat King was just ok. Though the whole section leading up to it, and it’s overall presentation was real interesting.

SpyKi likes this.
  9. SpyKi

You must fix your heart Supporter

That whole section was amazing.

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

It felt completely out of place

11. SpyKi

I don't think so. I think it was a great way to have a moment that was a bit more focused on the infected and more traditionally horror-esque.

nohandstoholdonto likes this.
  12. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

It’s the world’s idea of ground zero for the outbreak. What could possibly happen with absolute earliest infected and in the Rat King’s case, they grew onto one another. Having the Rat King was an easy way for the game to showcase Abby’s arc and her dedication to Lev/Yara. Even with all the warnings from Nora, she still trekked down there.

In terms of gameplay, the Rat King boss battle gave me stress I haven’t felt since Alien: Isolation.

Zilla, nohandstoholdonto and SpyKi like this.
  13. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

It's a very campy video game moment in a game that is very much not very traditional in it's video gameness. It was very strange.

14. SpyKi

Idk I feel like this is still very much a video game, and still a zombie game at that and I dont see how that moment is campy at all. The infected aren't the focus of this game but its still very much a part of this world and these games.

15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

campy is not the word i’d use for any of this game lol

16. williek311 Aug 2, 2020
    (Last edited: Aug 2, 2020)
    williek311

@wearthicksocks Prestigious

The rat king reminded me of something from The Thing. That part was frustrating because it was so dark I couldn’t see where I was going in my frantic state. so I just turned the brightness all the way up in settings and it was a breeze lol.

flask likes this.
  17. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

That part was straight out of a newer Resident Evil, felt a little out of place but was fun.

18. DickyCullz

I create content for some of your favorite artists

agree The Rat King felt off, but the whole hospital exploring section was great. Just could have done without the boss fight.

Same with the burning of Haven, sequence had a bit of a Resi 4 vibe, which I love don't get me wrong, but I did roll my eyes when having to fight the guy at the very end who seemed to be super human.

SteveLikesMusic and Cameron like this.
  19. johnnyferris

Sic Parvis Magna Prestigious

Neil speaks of the RE love/influence on The Rat King on the podcast

20. nohandstoholdonto

problem addict Prestigious

my favorite game series’ growing up were always Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, and Crash Bandicoot so it’s no wonder this is my favorite game ever made

johnnyferris and bodkins like this.
  21. bodkins

Trusted

Told my wife they did Crash and she flipped haha.

22. flask

Trusted Supporter

PandaBear! likes this.
  23. fyebes

Regular Prestigious

24. flask

Trusted Supporter

Never played grounded on the first game but I’m gonna give it a go here.

25. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Its cool they added both modes but I can't imagine having the patience to try either of them lol

mattfreaksmeout and PandaBear! like this.