Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Lack of Diversity at Bled Fest • Page 4

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Apr 22, 2016.

1. doubledribble

Regular

Keep it to one post? What?

So if someone is ignoring you, what exactly is the benefit of enabling the person and continuing to address them?...

2. Viva Sonata

gooberplex.tumblr.com Prestigious

You made three consecutive posts that very easily could have been one.

Also you admit that Tate wasn't name calling and that he was just trying to have a discussion and present what is the more ethical answer, which should be an answer to your question.

3. doubledribble

Regular

Stop trolling, dude.

4. Viva Sonata

You're right. Please ban me for personal attacks and trolling since you have shown so clearly to be the authority on that.

5. As usual, Jason gets called out by users who aren't even interested in contributing to this thread's conversation, and always in a "gotcha" way. Frustrating. He's doing the best he can.

Luroda and Viva Sonata like this.
  6. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

lol what a microcosm of the struggle. This thread is of the same resistance being faced everywhere in our society. Irrelevant points posing as arguments.

A+B=C
    The need for change+the want for change= the change

7. SoundwaveUproar

Regular Prestigious

Is this something you can actually boil down to s simple math equation ? Fine. Since everyone else is under the impression that I made Jason repeat himself over and over again let's try this conversation with you

The need for change + the want for change= the change

We think these festivals need to change, the festival runners themselves don't

We want for these festivals to change, again the vast majority of them have little interest in this

So how do we get the change out of them? Since saying that today the direct approach will not work has somehow made me both an ignorant bad at reading comprehension and a bigot please help me solve your simple math equation. How do you make that change. That has been my point this whole time. I simply disagree with the approach being taken

8. Viva Sonata

[​IMG]

AndrewSoup, AelNire and Luroda like this.
  9. Stephen Young

Regular Prestigious

This "Julien Baker doesn't fit" argument is absolutely ridiculous.
    this year's headliner is The Black Dahlia Murder, a band who has pretty much zero clout in "the scene".

Ignoring that, we're talking about an artist who released a record on a tiny hardcore label, a record so well received that it propelled her to open for The National, and play shows in front of a couple hundred people in pretty much any city she plays. Her career is pretty much going no where but up, and at this point, Bled Fest needs Julien Baker more than Julien Baker needs Bled Fest or being an "affirmative action" pick.

10. nl5011

Trusted Supporter

You are putting words in my mouth, I never claimed anyone or anything did or did not want to change. Kind of besides the point when I make a general statement/simplified equation and you ask for specificity.

I don't understand exactly what you don't understand. I get what you are saying about the people who books these shows don't want to change.
    But that is the resistance meet with every civil rights challenge. That doesn't invalidate the movement, or the want for change. Sure it'll be a tough sell at first, but preserverance through persistence. The festivals won't change unless they realize there is profit and demand for that change.

But that's no need for negativity in regards to the outcome of trying. As long as this voice exists in our community, it will grow stronger. This may not be the immediate answer that you were hoping would arise from the argument, but this is an issue that will evolve with time. Your impatience with the process does not mean the "direct approach" of today will be unsuccessful.

If the goal is to have these neglected bands on the bill of these big festivals, then the answer definitely involves and starts with getting these bands on the bill.

11. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

Ehh, It's not like it's needed but it's a nice attempt. If they get enough push for it, they'll probably be more inclined to do it. However, atm the complaints aren't sizable for them to risk it.

On the other hand. if/when they decided to make the attempt. How would you think it would implemented?

12. Material Girl

If you think increasing diversity is risky I think you're an asshole. The biggest selling and drawing acts in the music world are women and POC. It's not a risk.

Luroda and Viva Sonata like this.
  13. Viva Sonata

We as a generation are in the midst of boycotting several major motion pictures for replacing POC with white actors. We just had an entire debate over Macklemore's "White Privelege" and stories seemingly coming out every day show that abuse against women is still not only happening but defended in our scene.

You should pay more attention.

14. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

I was speaking in their views, that's what they think.

15. Viva Sonata

Maybe I should have quoted with the part where you say it's not needed instead. You speaking for them there too?

16. ChicagoBowls

!!!!

i should be more clearer, I can see how it could misinterpreted. From but "it is nice attempt" is my opinion. I was putting myself in their shoes.

However,I'm more into how this plan will be implemented, proposed,etc.

17. incognitojones

Some Freak Supporter

This thread made my brain hurt. They could have gotten Julien Baker, she's blowing up lately, she'd have a really high slot or be headlining and could draw a hell of a crowd. Any argument that she doesn't belong boils down to "we don't want women at our festivals" and is pretty crazy, disgusting, etc.

Petit nain des Îles likes this.
  18. jellyfishfossil

Regular

I remember reading that Julien Baker tried too book shows around her school/class schedule. This was half a year ago and does anyone know if this was/is true?

19. TotesAndGoats

Bear

I'm late to the party, can someone do a tl;dr for me?

20. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Side note, the blog post quoted in the OP is not what the link goes to. It appears they updated the page.

21. Viva Sonata

Bled Fest official said that they don't wanna have to fill what they called "quotas" and "standards" for diversity among the acts that they book.

22. TotesAndGoats

Bear

Is there context outside of that? Seems like a kind of random thing for them to say without any provocation.

(I did some google searching and their response/this thread are the only things I could find related to the issue.)