Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The King of Staten Island (Judd Apatow, June 12, 2020) Movie • Page 8

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jun 30, 2019.

1. soggytime

Trusted

Yeah the $20 rental doesn't bother me at all because here in NYC the price can range $18-25 depending on things like IMAX or Dolby. $20 seems fair for making a film's budget back at home after losing box office revenue from major cities. However, I can see how if you are used to $10 tickets it being high.

John Lopiano and imthesheriff like this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Tickets are pretty pricey in Jersey also unless you're going to a matinee (which I do whenever possible to take advantage of the reduced pricing). Still doesn't change the fact that I accept that the cost of a ticket to a theater is high because it includes a cut for the theater in addition to the money that the studio makes. Hence why I keep saying it's not a 1:1 comparison between paying $15-18 for a ticket to a theater and paying $20 for a temporary rental.

Just let us keep the movies now instead of asking us to pay $20 now and then $20 again later on. It's not an unreasonable thing to ask.

Furry Werthers likes this.
  3. This being 20 to rent is fine. Maybe you'll see it be less (or more) in the future as studios determine optimal pricing.

GrantCloud likes this.
  4. manoverboard365

Trusted

Watched this tonight and really enjoyed it. I was actually surprised it felt much more like a drama than it did a comedy. There were only a handful of laugh out loud moments. But I thought Pete and Burr killed it. Maude is a great actress but it was weird that they just kinda abandoned her storyline midway through.

5. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I wouldn't spend any kind of money for VOD of movies like Bond and Fast or Tenet.

6. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I would.

7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

most would

8. bobby_runs

where would i be if i was my brain Prestigious

I don't have a great TV or great sound system. Plus its easier for me to not use my phone or anything else when I'm in a theater.

9. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

Don't know if it's an unpopular decision, but I really don't want blockbusters coming on VOD that are meant to be seen on the big screen. Smaller comedies and indie films (as much as I would like to see in theaters with an audience), I'm fine paying the $20.

mike1885 likes this.
  10. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I’d prefer not to see a blockbuster at home either but I still would for certain movies.

11. dqwinny

THRILLHOUSE Supporter

was slightly underwhelmed by this. felt a bit scattered but I enjoyed the performances a ton.

i also despise watching new releases at home.

emojedi likes this.
  12. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Definitely a mess, but as someone with Crohn's and tattoos it gets some extra points, especially for the ballpark/hotdog bit.

Zilla likes this.
  13. Zilla

Trusted Supporter

The ballpark scene was one of best scenes of the movie. I could take a whole movie of that ensemble chopping it up, minus the Explosions in the Sky part.

14. manoverboard365

Trusted

The scene itself was kinda important to the character's arc, but the song placement just didnt fit. It felt too forced.

15. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Watching now

16. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Eh. This was okay. Some parts were pretty dumb. Apatow’s daughter can’t act. Overlong. Pete was good.

Dan Quinlan likes this.
  17. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Best part was very easily

the Bronson cameo. Killed me, one of the only times I laughed out loud.

imthesheriff likes this.
  18. phaynes12

she’s decent in euphoria iirc

irthesteve likes this.
  19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Yeah she was fine in that. Not in this

20. phaynes12

agreed

21. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

feel like her screentime could've been whittled down to 1-2 minutes and nothing would be worse off. what was she really there for beyond reiterating how much of an underachiever scott was

22. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

my vape blew up in my pocket

23. John Lopiano

aka Broken Parachute Moderator

I watched a behind the scenes bit that talked about that scene. One of the real life firefighters his dad knew who is playing a firefighter in the movie said it was like none of it was scripted when Pete did that scene. He said you almost felt like that was the first time he had ever vocalized any of that in his life and it was all just coming out.

Zilla and SmithBerryCrunch like this.
  24. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

25. tvck

Trusted

I enjoyed this. Definitely a little too long but Pete and Bill were great