Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The King of Staten Island (Judd Apatow, June 12, 2020) Movie • Page 6

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by Serh, Jun 30, 2019.

1. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

this movie was enjoyable enough but could have really benefitted from having about 30 minutes trimmed from its middle third

Anthony_ likes this.
  2. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

ayyyyyy love the callback

3. Serh

Prestigious Prestigious

haha nah i really enjoyed this. felt a lot more fluid than most past apatows. it’s one good edit away from being something real special but as it is it’s real solid. might be his best since knocked up

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Why? He’s amazing

5. Anthony_

he’s unfortunately joined the “wahhh I can’t say whatever I want anymore, even though Netflix is paying me tons of money to say whatever I want in a standup special” crowd

y2jayjk, riotspray and Matthewconte like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Uuuuugh. Didn’t know that

7. Anthony_

he does it in his most recent standup special

8. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

I actually really enjoyed this. I agree it needs about 10-15 minutes trimmed though.

9. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

this was fine. echoing the length comments. pete and burr were better than expected

10. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

Nice heartwarming movie, enjoyable with plenty of great moments

11. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

oh god, I shouldn't have scrolled up. People are trashing Funny People? Get the fuck out, lordy

12. NJPunkMusic

Die rad.

Really enjoyed this movie after looking forward to it for months. I was ok with the length, no complaints

13. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I enjoyed this a lot more than expected, but yeah could have done without like the long firefighting montage scenes for example.

14. Luke Nelson

This has a murderer’s row of NY stand-up cameos.

John Lopiano and riotspray like this.
  15. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

i actually like funny people a lot but it’s a pretty unpopular movie lol

NJPunkMusic likes this.
  16. Are people really renting this for $20

17. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

Why not? Just curious. It’s a first-run theatrical release being pushed to VOD due to a pandemic. Personally I think $20 is a very fair price point, I’ll even argue that if bigger films were to open this route (ie Bond 25 or Fast 9) that a bigger $40/$50 price per rental would be fair.

NJPunkMusic, riotspray and phaynes12 like this.
  18. manoverboard365

Trusted

$20 hurts for me because I live alone and will probably watch this alone. But if like a family of 4 is renting a brand new movie for $20 that's a steal. Going to the theater would've cost almost 4x as much.

coleslawed and riotspray like this.
  19. imthegrimace

the poster formally known as thesheriff Supporter

It would have been about $24 for my girlfriend and I to see it in the theater plus drinks and snacks so why not pay $20 at home?

Cameron likes this.
  20. Night Channels

Trusted

Less expensive than going to the movies. Plus I have unlimited snacks here, although the "in-house" popcorn is ...far worse.

21. This is where I'm at. I would have seen this alone at the theater at a matinee, probably wouldn't spend more than $10 on a ticket for myself. I'm pretty frugal.

22. I'd pay 50 for no time to die

23. VanMastaIteHab

Trusted Prestigious

I think the difference is definitely a) if you live in a city and a single movie ticket usually costs $15 anyway and b) if you’re watching alone vs with friends. $20 is a lot personally, because I would have normally seen this on $6 Monday at the theater near me.

24. Yeah if I had some friends over, I would probably do it.

25. Matthewconte

Trusted Supporter

I think that shagginess is usually my main criticism of an Apatow movie, but this really didn't drag at all..I never once checked to see how much time was left. I'm fine with the 136 minutes.

NJPunkMusic and irthesteve like this.