Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Killers Band • Page 4

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by Barresi, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I think this Fall was the plan. I'd say a summer release is likely.

2. vidiviciveni

Trusted

I'm very hit or miss with this band, but their highs are just too damn high to ignore. This live version of When You Were Young makes me wonder how they aren't the biggest band in the world.

3. timcsheehan

Regular

Terminal West. Saturday Night. Tickets are like $100 per. check The Tabernacle's twitter for details and link to buy tickets, on sale friday.

airik625 likes this.
  4. Jeff

Regular Prestigious

I mean...as far as BANDS...they pretty much are one of the biggest in the world.

Is there another band that's surfaced since 2000 with their level of ticket sales, album sales, and name-recognition?

5. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Agreed, they're one of the biggest modern bands around. I feel they have a quiet popularity now if that makes sense. They're big, but they're not like a Coldplay or Muse level big (sales/touring wise), but they've probably sold more than The White Stripes and Black Keys have without having the critical reception that those two have.

Another darkhorse in popularity is 30 Seconds to Mars (something like 15 million in sales I think?).

6. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

IMG_0036.JPG

"The force was with us last night. But sometimes the force isn't enough. Sometimes you need James Bond."

7. inkwisitive

Regular

Excited for the next album because of how strong The Desired Effect was, plus their really good 2015 Christmas song. Interesting to see so many wildly varying opinions about Battle Born on here - IMO it's a decent, consistent album but not amazing, saved by the last two songs which I think are the two best, definitely the best ending to an album the Killers have ever done.

I really liked the soundscapey vibe they hit on Day & Age - great to listen to at night and might be my favourite album if it didn't end so weakly - The World We Live In is their worst single choice ever. The first 8 songs, then Carry Me Home for stylistic continuity, then Be Still and Battle Born, would be an amazing album. As it is, I think Sam's Town is the best overall and Hot Fuss is let down badly by the second half (apart from On Top).

airik625 likes this.
  8. goation

Regular

Sam's Town has to be one of the best rock records of the 21st century. The melodies on that record are perfect.

David87 and airik625 like this.
  9. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Got a big piece about Sam's Town coming up next week. We're at the 10th anniversary tomorrow, which is nuts.

ChiliTacos and goation like this.
  10. Craig Manning

11. airik625

So ready. I've got the 10 Year Anniversary Edition preordered. Can't wait for that to come in. The alternate artwork is perfect.
    Really looking forward to reading this. I own the 7" box set, which sounds great and is an awesome box; all around.

Craig Manning likes this.
  12. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

Great article Craig. Really interesting read. I didn't know any of that, and always wondered what was up with the different tack listings. Really looking to your Sam's Town article as well.

13. Craig Manning

I didn't order that Sam's Town pressing because I'd just had a bunch of big expenses in a row and couldn't really justify buying a $40 LP. I kind of regret it, though. It looks like it'll be a beautiful pressing.

I would love to have the 7" box set, but I'll settle for the repress. I just want to finally have this record on vinyl.

Thanks! It definitely has a weirder history than most modern albums, both in terms of vinyl and in terms of just how the tracklists worked out. I really wonder what the band's justification for having different songs on the US and UK versions was.

14. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

I'm in Vegas for the Sam's Town anniversary show tonight. They played a show last night too, heard it was incredible.

Can't wait for your Sam's Town retrospective, Craig. I've read a few already from some other sites, and it seems like the album has been enjoying a Pinkerton-esque total reversal.

Craig Manning, goation and airik625 like this.
  15. goation

Regular

You are so lucky! I was a kid when Sam's Town came out. Did it really have that much negative press when it came out? I've heard it got mixed reviews.

16. airik625

It definitely was not accepted as much as it has been revered in the last like 5 years

17. Craig Manning

Sam's Town got fucking eviscerated. I guess the reviews were technically "mixed," but the Rolling Stone review set the tone and that was two stars.

18. duritzfan13

all we have is time

Rolling Stone reviews are honestly the worst. It's really a shame their name is held in such high regard when it comes to people trusting their word.

That being said I kind of hate the idea of bad reviews in general. They too often prevent other people from having their own opinion IMO

19. Craig Manning

The should just cut their review section, honestly. Their cover stories and profile pieces are usually pretty good still, but their reviews rarely give the impression that the writer actually listened to the album.

20. goation Oct 1, 2016
    (Last edited: Oct 6, 2016)
    goation

Regular

I get Rolling Stone through a bonus from a concert ticket, and the reviews are pretty bad. Did/Do people really take it that seriously?

I don't know how it got blasted so much. The direction is so solid. Hot Fuss seems like a mess comparatively. It kinda reminds me of Stone Temple Pilots Core to Purple. I don't know if that makes sense to anyone else but it may just have to do with the fact that I'm a massive STP fan and tend to relate a lot of bands to them haha

21. Craig Manning

You have to understand how massive Hot Fuss was, though. It was one of the last rock records that was a genuine hit machine. A lot of people who don't like this band still like those singles, so when Sam's Town didn't sound anything like it, there was backlash. Flowers also shot himself in the foot by telling his audience that he'd just made on of the best albums of the last 20 years, instead of letting the music do the talking.

22. goation

Regular

I guess that makes sense. The singles on Hot Fuss still get ridiculous amounts of airplay.

I hadn't heard that Flowers quote. Dammit if it isn't a great album, though. I don't even blame him too much for saying that haha.

23. Craig Manning

Ha, I'd agree with it too, but I still wouldn't have said it if I were him.

goation likes this.
  24. goation

Regular

From a critical and commercial standpoint, maybe not the best move. From an artistic standpoint, I appreciate his confidence.

25. Craig Manning

Eh, I think just about every artist that gets that big needs an ego, but I would rather he just let the songs do the talking. Dude has a history of putting his foot in his mouth.