Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Killers - Wonderful Wonderful (September 30, 2017) Album • Page 15

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by pablowashere, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Barresi

Spooky Space Kook Supporter

Yeah, it's the only one I'm just lukewarm about. Really enjoyed the rest, so I think they made the right call.

2. crunchprank

crunchprank.net Prestigious

When I first started playing the album today, I did not like Wonderful, Wonderful at all. So I was pretty disappointed with the opener (maybe it will grow on me). Next track is The Man which I absolutely cannot stand as well. Third track in I was basically saying if it doesn't get any better, then this album just isn't for me, despite the fact I pre-ordered the deluxe vinyl. Thankfully Rut was an excellent song, and every song after that was as well. So I think for now on when I listen to this, I'm just going to skip the first two tracks. I might give Wonderful, Wonderful a couple more shots to see if it grows on me, but wow I cannot even listen to The Man.

3. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

I still hate The Man. I don't care for that or The Calling but everything else is tolerable.

But, I really didn't "tolerable" to be the way I feel about a new Killer's album.

airik625 likes this.
  4. Barresi

So yeah, they fucking covered Gaslight Anthem tonight. My two favorite bands. I need to see this now.

[​IMG]

5. smowashere

Trusted Supporter

"Rut" is so good!!

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  6. Barresi Sep 22, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2017)
    Barresi

Edit: Apparently Brian was in attendance, as well.

7. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

i keep thinking "The Man" is gonna be my favorite song of the year, but then I get to "Tyson vs Douglas" and my opinion changes back to that.

8. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I've listened a handful of times now and Money On Straight is still a huge standout for me, possibly my favorite song. In general I feel like the slower songs are weaker here. I appreciate the emotion and the sentiment of Some Kind of Love more than I like the actual song, and Have All The Songs Been Written? is just kind of alright. I think I may have gotten too excited about The Killers & Mark Knopfler teaming up and gotten a tad too hyped up...

Not to play into any of the behind-the-scenes drama too too much, but I definitely feel like the album is lacking those distinctive lead guitar parts. To me, a lot of these songs don't sound like Dave Keuning was that involved in their writing / recording.

beachdude42, Barresi and Collin Rohr like this.
  9. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Run for cover into Tyson vs Douglas is a hell of a twofer.

10. Donnie Ruth

Trusted Supporter

If I went to a Killer's show and heard Gaslight I would release so much boy juice everywhere and probably pass out before the end. Ugh. I need them back.

Barresi likes this.
  11. Tomar Re

Regular

the three song stretch from "Life to Come" to "Tyson vs. Douglas" is my favorite part of the album.

12. Barresi

The Killers’ "Wonderful Wonderful" Pacing For #1 With 105-110K Sales, 113-118K Total Units

Probably gonna be a huge drop, but happy for them.

13. mike1885

Trusted Supporter

First #1. Good for them.

14. CoffeeEyes17

Reclusive-aggressive Prestigious

ive been going back through Killers records and i guess its a hot take to say Day & Age is great and super underrated. Battle Born is also quite good. This band is just such a good singles band although they do have some sweet deep cuts and bonus tracks here and there.

im shocked how much i like this album

teebs41 and goation like this.
  15. bodkins

Trusted

I had the benefit of not being too into the band until about 5 years ago, so I had zero expectation going into Day and Age. I loved and still love that record.

CoffeeEyes17 likes this.
  16. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

really not that into this unfortunately.

I could see it growing on me more over time, and loved @Barresi's writeup of the lyrical themes which definitely improved my initial opinion of the album, but I just find most of it uneven.

Sad as I love Battle Born and thought "Run for Cover" was a great sign of things to come

Oh well, The Desired Effect is still the best Killers related thing imo so you can choose to ignore everything I just said lol

Collin Rohr, Jason Tate and Barresi like this.
  17. Craig Manning Sep 23, 2017
    (Last edited: Sep 23, 2017)
    Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

I was a huge fan of the first two records, so I had high expectations going into Day & Age. Probably one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had as a music listener. It just seemed like such a mess to me back then. It's grown on me a lot since, but I still think it's their worst by a mile, and the only one that doesn't really feel like a cohesive album.

I loved about half of it right away. I also strongly disliked about half of it right away. There are still two or three songs that I think are right at the bottom of their discography.

Barresi and Aregala like this.
  18. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I'm curious where do you rate "Spaceman"

19. Brother Beck

Trusted Supporter

I can shamelessly say that I am a huge fan of Day & Age even though I can also say that it is their worst album by a country mile. I think a Day & Age that had Tidal Wave, A White Demon Love Song, A Crippling Blow & Forget About What I Said on it - in some cases instead of a few album tracks - would have been infinitely better, if not any more cohesive of an album.

Also, I know you weren't talking to me, but Spaceman kicks ass.

Barresi and Aregala like this.
  20. Aregala

Blistering Guitar Lead

I'm also kinda asking anyone, but god what a great song

I know it was like a big-ish hit and a single and everything so it's by no means "underrated" in the traditional sense but I feel like it doesn't get the same shine as some of their other "classics"

21. Barresi

I agree 100%. I feel like if those tracks were included, and some of the weaker cuts were left as bonus tracks, it would be a really strong album. But there’s a handful of songs on there that are just... ugh.

As for Spaceman: it’s okay. Definitely don’t love it, or seek it out. But it’s hard not to sing along to.

22. clockwise

GREEN DUDES BEST GREEN DAY PODCAST Prestigious

Hmm I like Day & Age way more than this.

goation likes this.
  23. marsupial jones

make a bagel without the hole

Day & Age felt like it came way the fuck out of nowhere and knowing it follows Sam's Town it still seems like a huge shift in tone for the band, but i've always enjoyed the record - but have learned to enjoy it more as the years have gone on. "This is Your Life" is super underrated and the line "the cops, they'll steal your dreams and they'll kill your prayers" seems more prescient with each passing day.

Barresi likes this.
  24. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

"Spaceman" has always fallen on the "love" side of the spectrum for me.

Aregala likes this.
  25. Barresi

"This Is Your Life" is one of the all-time great songs from this band.

Dirty Sanchez, Jeff and Craig Manning like this.