Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Killers – Wonderful Wonderful • Page 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Sep 25, 2017.

1. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

I find myself going back to a few songs off of this album but overall I feel disappointed. It just doesn't have what the others album had to offer.

Battle Born just sounded BIG. Like a band hitting their stride. This is definitely a few steps in the wrong direction and sadly, this is most likely their last.

adleon18 likes this.
  2. knstadin

Regular Prestigious

In a perfect world "Tyson Vs. Douglas" would be the 1st single, lyrics about some girl, maybe unrequited love and topping charts like it's 2004 :clap: then followed by the Arctic Monkey-ish "The Calling" and the dreamy "Some Kind of Love"...

Serenity Now likes this.
  3. Craig Manning

@FurtherFromSky Moderator

Battle Born is my favorite too. I think both the band and the critics missed a lot of great songs by writing that one off.

They owe Island another album on their contract.

4. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Oh sweet, didn't know that!

Craig Manning likes this.
  5. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Amazing review, Craig. Couldn't agree more. "Rut" is the highlight for me.

6. SPine

Trusted

Hot Fuss will forever be one of my favorite albums. Sam's Town is too. Disliked Day & Age. Enjoyed Battle Born but that's my third favorite. I can not get into this one. I hate The Man, it reminds me of Human because of how bad the lyrics are. Really disappointed in this one and will most likely skip out on going to see them in Detroit. Saw them twice supporting Battle Born and these songs will not add anything for me for their live show. Loved Desired Effect and saw Brandon on that tour as well. Maybe it will grow on me, but definitely a miss for me.

7. dlemert

Trusted

Surprised at how many actively hate this album. It's a bit bland in places and feels a tad like Killers-lite, but the handful of strong tracks put it about on par with Battle Born for me. I mean, how can you not at least find Rut and Run For Cover pleasant?

smowashere likes this.
  8. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

Because it's rather forgetful in itself.

Still think Rut is pretty great though.

smowashere likes this.
  9. CMilliken

Trusted

Great review. Not the best Killers album but I don’t hate it and played it quite a few times this weekend.

10. mmhmm

Trusted Prestigious

Just came here to say I agree Battle Born is their best album. Also, the two extra songs on the deluxe version of BB are some of the Killers' best songs ever.

11. Phil507

Resident NYC snob Supporter

With two members sitting out this tour, I get the feeling that, since they have a big brand name, they are going to keep moving along even if it's mainly a Brandon Flowers solo project at this point. Saw them on Friday and they were a lot of fu though they only did 4 off the new album and saved 2 of those 4 for the encore. The Gaslight cover was a nice surprise.

As for this record, it's totally fine but not sure it warrants many repeats.

12. Loki

God of mischief

Day & Age is my favorite with Battle Born being my least. It is too early to say where this one will fall for me, but I did like it on the first two listens.

Serenity Now likes this.
  13. Helloelloallo

Trusted Supporter

This album just fell a bit flat especially considering the single. The majority of the album is nothing like that. For some that could be a good thing, but for me, it's disappointing as i liked The Man. Also the review comes across a bit condescending at parts. I think there will be plenty of people who just don't like this album, through no fault of not getting it.

14. Craig Manning

The "they won't get it" line was referring specifically to critics, most of whom still think this band should write another Hot Fuss. From reading their takes on this album, no, they definitely didn't "get it." I do not care if you like or dislike this album, and will not judge you either way.

Barresi and Helloelloallo like this.
  15. mationation

I think God's a painter

this is the most moving killers album by far for me. what it lacks in hooks it more than makes up for in sincerity and vulnerability.

Craig Manning and Barresi like this.
  16. Craig Manning

That's definitely the case for me. I fear a lot of listeners won't see that side of it, just because it's not what they want/expect from a Killers album.

17. fredwordsmith

Trusted Supporter

I think it gets better with every listen. Rut and Run for Cover are both amazing. It's different for a Killers record, but it's still quite good.

It also shoulders an unfair burden in following The Desired Effect which might be the best damn male vocal pop album of the last five years.

18. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

BB is their best.

I really love the back half of WW.

19. Tomar Re

Regular

Great review! Album is great. I don't know where it ranks for me, too soon to tell but they're one of my favorite bands and this just further solidifies that. For me this album continues to grow on me with each listen, which is a great sign. Tyson vs Douglas and Life to Come are probably my favorites, the hooks on those are just so great. Life to Come is the perfect mixture of a Sam's Town meets Battle Born sound.

thedrudo likes this.
  20. I'm really interested to listen to this considering I've never liked The Killers (Mr. Brightside drives me up the wall with its atonality) and most people here who seem to be big fans aren't digging the record. Maybe this will be the one that does it for me? The review got me interested, at least, and I wasn't planning on giving it a listen!

21. SEANoftheDEAD

Trusted

Let us know your thoughts.

It's actually been growing on me too!

22. thedrudo

Trusted Prestigious

I'm still stunned that the band -- and some fans -- are so negative on BB. That one rules so much.

mmhmm likes this.
  23. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I'm very glad that I didn't preorder this vinyl.

Into maybe 2 tracks...tops. Oh well.

Still have LPs 1-3.

fenway89 likes this.
  24. Connor

we're all a bunch of weirdos on a quest to belong Prestigious

Yeah...plus the cover art is terrible. Just a really terrible effort all around. Which is too bad

Serenity Now likes this.
  25. Craig Manning

I'm baffled that Day & Age has been canonized into the era of "good" Killers, while these two are considered their bad records. That one is so drastically inferior to the other four.