Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 2

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. Henry

Moderator Moderator

@oldjersey its the same team that made the Tactics games though.

theagentcoma and oldjersey like this.
  2. Henry

Moderator Moderator

3. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I remember starting Vagrant Story years ago and the controls were weird as fuck and I was just like eh, not right now. All I hear are great things though.

4. Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah Valendia is in Ivalice.

oldjersey likes this.
  5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

fuck me

theagentcoma and oldjersey like this.
  7. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

We should all do a playthrough of Vagrant Story together

Joe4th likes this.
  8. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'll admit, it is one of the most frustrating games at the start. The weapons system, weaknesses and affinities are annoying as fuck. Once you get it down, you'll be chaining 100+ combos, doing no damage.

9. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Learning that the game is on Ivalice changes the game for me. lol. That means my three favorite RPG's all take place in the same world. lolol

10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

One of the best purchases I've made in the past few years was a hacked PSP GO that lets me play any game from nintendo through playstation. The guy even pre loaded it with tons of RPGS before he gave it to me. It's terrific. Cost me 100 bucks. So worth it.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

It gets a bad rap because of its lack of a story and was kinda rushed so there are parts of the game that seem incomplete. I still love the battle/element system. And the music had some gems, like the Normoon theme in particular. Here is a rendition of it:

And I cannot stress how great Ogre Battle 64 is. The in-mission maps may be a little rough on the eyes, but the sprites and spells in the battles are beautiful. The story and characters are amazing, and there are like 11 endings? Pretty crazy for an N64 cartridge. Here's a video with all the sick spells:

One of the few PS1 RPGs I've yet to play. Always seemed rather daunting. I plan to remedy this soon.

Probably watching my brother and his friend play FF3 (6) on the SNES when I was like 6. I was amazed that you could play multiplayer for that game, it was too much for my first grade mind.

Agreed, beautiful games. Amazing music. Never did beat the second one :(

Another one I started and didn't finish because I'm terrible. I will contest that this game has one of the best soundtracks in all of gaming, regardless of genre.

Shrek likes this.
  12. tucah

not champ Prestigious

all of this is true. i do a playthrough of vagrant story every couple years, probably about that point now. it’s gorgeous (and actually holds up unlike many 3D games of the era), the battle system is wonderfully complex and brilliant and the writing is top notch. i have a few games i juggle as my favorite jrpg and this is almost always what i end up choosing as my #1.

theagentcoma and Henry like this.
  13. Henry May 15, 2018
    (Last edited: May 15, 2018)
    Henry

Moderator Moderator

Alright, I'm going to make a list. I'll generalize some, because the series is either linear or deep. I'd say my top four are pretty much a lock, with the rest being somewhat interchangeable.

1. Vagrant Story
    2. The Legend of Dragoon
    3. Ni no Kuni
    4. Final Fantasy XII/IX/Tactics Advanced (though I like most of them)
    5. Xenosaga (mostly the first one)
    6. Shin Megami Tensei/Persona
    7. Pokemon (Emerald being my fave)
    8. Bravely Default
    9. Valkyrie Profile 2
    10. Chrono Trigger/Cross
    11. Shining Force

14. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

ugh a list would take me so, so long. i'mma try.
    1. Pokemon Crystal
    2. Golden Sun: The Lost Age
    3. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
    4. Radiant Historia
    5. Fire Emblem Awakening
    6. Dragon Quest Monsters
    7. Golden Sun
    8. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
    9. Ni No Kuni
    10. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
    and yes, no Final Fantasy titles... i've only ever actually beaten 1, 3, and watched someone beat 9. i am aware of my sins.

theagentcoma and Fucking Dustin like this.
  15. Henry

Moderator Moderator

OHHHH I FORGOT SHINING FORCE. Those games were fucking awesome.

theagentcoma likes this.
  16. Shrek

fuck i forgot Dragon Quest IX. updated, which means the only final fantasy has been pushed off. i need to play some of them.

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Shrek

Lord of the Rings: The Third Age was a great one-time play. linear as all hell, had like no depth, but was a fun companion piece.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. Shrek

triple post but w/e: Dragon Quest Monsters didn't get enough love on the Gameboy. for monster collecting being a new fad really only tried out by Pokemon Red/Blue, they went balls to the wall. a ton of monsters, complex breeding with a lot of variables and potential results. the sequels got 3DS remasters and they never got localized -_-

theagentcoma likes this.
  19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Yokai Watch was one of the worst JRPG's I've ever played, so there is also that. I have no idea how those games have the traction they do.

theagentcoma likes this.
  20. Shrek

they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth stateside. they still big in Japan?

21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

1. Earthbound
    2. FF 7
    3. FF 6
    4. Chrono Trigger
    5. FF 4
    6. Lunar Silver Star Story
    7. Suikoden (Still need to finish the second one which I always here is better)
    8. Super Mario RPG
    9. Secret of Mana
    10. FF 9

Suikoden was such a fun and original experience. I really need to get on the 2nd one. Im like half way through and forget the story, I hate when I do that.

nomemorial, theagentcoma and Shrek like this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

They put up Pokemon numbers over there. There is a forth game coming out for the Switch.

The second game released in November and was in the bargain bin of Target last I checked.

Shrek likes this.
  23. Fucking Dustin May 15, 2018
    (Last edited: May 15, 2018)
    Fucking Dustin

Please click "like" Supporter

I haven't played nearly enough JRPGs outside of my niche so my list is gonna be basic as hell and will probably change in 5 minutes (lots of recency bias as I read it back) but here we go:

1. NieR: Automata
    2. Final Fantasy VI
    3. Chrono Trigger
    4. Persona 5
    5. Pokemon Crystal
    6. Final Fantasy IX
    7. Final Fantasy X
    8. Golden Sun
    9. Persona 4 (currently playing so this is how I rank it so far)
    10. .hack//MUTATION

theagentcoma, Joe4th and Shrek like this.
  24. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Y'all got me JACKED UP on RPG's today. Love it.

theagentcoma and Shrek like this.
  25. Shrek

Dragon Quest XI has me some kind of hyped, probably the most excited i've been for an RPG since i got my first glimpse of Ni No Kuni