Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 17

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I have such a hard time not breaking that game by abusing the job system haha

I think I can fairly say Quest 64 is objectively not good. Gamespot gave it like a 5.3 rating. It was one of the few RPGs on a system that barely had any RPGs, and it did nothing to stick out. It was simple, lacked any signs of a cohesive story, and felt incomplete (which I think it was, rushed out before it was truly done). Still, I had fun with it haha. But it's not considered a good game.

I've already said my piece on OB64, which got like a 9.2 or something with a Metacritic rating of around 82. I don't at all keep up with the gaming world and what's popular and whatnot but I would for sure call it a cult classic.

Patterns in Traffic likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

anyone have any JRPG resources they follow? Youtube channels or podcasts? I've been watching Erick Landon's channel and it's ok but kinda entertaining.

3. theagentcoma

Anyone played Stella Glow for 3DS or Cosmic Star Heroine?

4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I LOVE Stella Glow and think it completely slipped by everyone. It's just got some really great music and wonderful direction in its art and combat/maps. I think if you can get your hands on a copy that you should give it a shot.

5. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I played Cosmic Star Heroine when it was free at some time last year. Ummm, it's good, battle system and the general aesthetic was kinda weird but it was a pretty solid RPG. I would say look elsewhere tbh haha.

6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I think I remember your HP restored completely after every battle? Idk why but that bothered me.

7. theagentcoma

I've been listening to the Octopath soundtrack when I write and goddamn it makes me want to play it through again

8. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Anyone played the Lunar series before?

9. theagentcoma

I've played both of the PS1 games, the GBA port, and the DS game unfortunately. The PS1 entries are JRPG essentials imo

10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Dude 2 is so good, I have beaten 1 numerous times but never 2. I am approaching end game and just love absolutely everything about it. Game is pretty damn hard too.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. theagentcoma

I need to give them another try. My plan is to wait until the PS Classic hits $30 (it's at $40 now lol) and then buy it and put every PS1 RPG on there, both Lunar games obviously included.

12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

My man. Invest in a Homebrew PSP go or PS Vita you will save yourself a TON of money.

Also what is great with the Lunar series is that 2 is set hundreds of years after 1, so it's set in the same world and you visit some of the places you go in the first one. I'm not positive but I think some of the soundtrack like battle music and cavern music is the same too but I LIKE that about it. I can't think of many game sequels that are like that.

13. theagentcoma

Isn't a PSP or a Vita more expensive than $40? I also kinda prefer to play it on a screen and not on a handheld system. Hacking the Classic looks easy as hell, so I'd rather do that and get ROMs of all the games for free. Is that not easier? Genuine question.

14. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ohhhh I misunderstood with the PS classic. That's not a bad plan either. Ive read it's super easy to hack as well. I prefer handhelds with these type of deals personally. But yes they run around 100 dollars.

theagentcoma likes this.
  15. theagentcoma

Man, the PS1 had some of the very best JRPGs of all time. I'd put it behind only the SNES in terms of selection. Once I get the Classic, I plan on systematically going through all of the games I never played or finished. It looks a little like this:

Have played but didn't finish:

Final Fantasy 8
    Xenogears
    Lunar 2
    Chrono Cross
    SaGa Frontier 1 & 2
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Valkyrie Profile
    Threads of Fate
    Alundra
    Wild Arms 1 & 2
    Breath of Fire 3
    Azure Dreams
    Star Ocean 2

Have played and beat:

Grandia
    Lunar 1
    Final Fantasy 7 & 9
    Breath of Fire 4
    Suikoden 1

Have NEVER played:

Suikoden 2 (reason enough to get the Classic, game it worth like $200)
    Legend of Dragoon
    Persona 2
    Parasite Eve 1 & 2
    Vagrant Story
    Legend of Mana
    Arc the Lad
    Brave Fencer Musashi
    Rhapsody
    Brigandine
    Dragon Quest 7
    Thousand Arms
    Vanguard Bandits
    Tales of Destiny 1 & 2
    Alundra 2
    Kartia
    Vandal Hearts 1 & 2
    Saiyuki
    Legend of Legaia
    Front Mission 3
    Digimon World 1-3
    Jade Cocoon
    Blood Omen
    Beyond the Beyond

ugh, these lists make me sad.

16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I beat Suikoden 1 and 2 a year or two ago. Loved them so muchGotta find a way to play 3 now though. After I beat Lunar 2 I think I'm gonna go for Xenogears

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

I beat Suikoden 1, I really need to get around to 2. Xenogears is also on my list to play.

theagentcoma likes this.
  18. theagentcoma

I posted this in the Video Game thread, but I'll post it here too:

So I modded my PS Classic and put the following games on it:

Arc The Lad
    Star Ocean 2
    Lunar Silver Star
    Tactics Ogre
    Vandal Hearts
    Kartia
    Suikoden 2
    Legend of Dragoon
    Breath of Fire 3
    Valkyrie Profile
    Legend of Mana
    Tales of Destiny 1 & 2
    Dragon Warrior 7
    Persona 2

Trying to decide what to start with. I haven't played Legend of Dragoon, Arc The Lad, Lunar Silver Star (played the GBA port), Vandal Hearts, Kartia, Legend of Mana, Persona, either Tales games, Dragon Warrior 7, or Suikoden 2. I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

Legend of Dragoon
    Lunar Silver Star
    Suikoden 2
    Tales of Destiny

Also Arc The Lad looks cool but I don't know a thing about it. Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Threats?

19. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Legend of Mana is fucking WEIRD. Not bad but very VERY open ended game without a linear story as far as I can tell.

I'd do Lunar dude, then add Lunar 2, great back to back experience.

ChaseTx and theagentcoma like this.
  20. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

Suikoden 2 or Legend of Dragoon

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. theagentcoma

I started Lunar 1. What a charming game, just what I needed.

22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

It's definitely way harder than the GBA version

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. theagentcoma

Just finished Lunar 1 on the PSX. Took about 26 hours. Much better than the GBA port, which honestly feels like a different game. The voice acting is good for what it is and there's plenty of cutscenes and cheesy dialogue, but it's a JRPG so that's to be expected. At a certain point, most of the strategies for boss fights were repetitive, but it's only a minor gripe. Pretty fun game, glad I finally saw it to the end.

I know it's not great, but I'm thinking of playing Rhapsody on the PSX next for something short, lighthearted, and easy. Then I'll jump into Arc the Lad. Or Suikoden 2. Or Legend of Mana. Or Legend of Dragoon. Or Tales of Destiny...

oldjersey likes this.
  24. theagentcoma

So I gave Rhapsody, Kartia, Vandal Hearts, and Arc the Lad 2 each a trial run. Played each for about an hour. Rhapsody is exactly as advertised, lighthearted and vibrant. Basically a bright bit of fluff with no real challenge or length, which I'm ok with every so often.

Kartia is intense. There's no tutorial and very few guides out there. I played a few battles and it seems like there's a lot going on that I'm missing. It also seems like one of those games that is very easy to abuse/break, if that makes sense.

Vandal Hearts was pretty fun. I only played one battle. I'm not the biggest fan of the art style, graphics, or even the font...but it seems like it has a pretty good story and the battle was pretty smooth.

I think I'm gonna go with Arc the Lad 2 tho. I skipped the first one since it's basically a prologue to the second one and can be finished in under 10 hours, and 2 apparently improves on all the worst aspects of the first one. I like it so far. I'm intrigued by the story and the battles seems fast-paced.

25. Shrek

can't be made fun of Prestigious

are there any good JRPGs for mobile? ones with no gacha, MTX, energy systems. just well made RPGs i can pay for and play. excluding stuff like FF/DQ ports.