Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 15

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Shining Resonance Refrain?

theagentcoma likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

zigbigwig likes this.
  3. ikanacanyon

Free jake w

Finally have fully gotten back into XC2. I hadn’t gotten hooked but justness finished chapter 2 last night and now cant wait to play more

4. Henry

Moderator Moderator

nomemorial likes this.
  5. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  6. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I wasn't even aware it went live. I never got anything about being accepted into the beta.

nomemorial likes this.
  7. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Yeah, it's weird, one of the only games I didn't get a notification for when it went live even being pre-reg'd. It's fun, though! Great implementation of the SMT mechanics into a mobile title and not too gacha heavy.

8. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

Anyone else a Valkyria Chronicles fan? VC4 is my most anticipated release right now.

9. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

10. Fixed Glitch

AP Attitude Era Superstar Supporter

I really wanted to play 3. There was a way to translate it to English but I couldn't get it to work.

11. theagentcoma

I've never played any of the SMT or Persona games. What are they even about? High school?

12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Oooooo boy. This is...this is gonna be a trip...

...or rather it would be, but I simply don't have the time/don't want to take the time to explain all the differences between the 20+ SMT entries and such. But they all mainly involve one staple: demons.

You are some character that has to save the world, whether it be you're in high school or in Antarctica or a weird futuristic world above Tokyo where you're kind of like samurai and you fight demons and/or capture demons to use their powers to aid you in battle.

The Persona games spun off of the mainline SMT games and have developed their own kind of style and personality. They're usually about strengthening your bonds with your friends or people you meet along the way and use those bonds to make your personas more powerful. They also have romance options and a lot of nice little side stuff you can do like fishing, gardening, go to the batting cages, etc. The SMT games are generally more traditional and straightforward turn based RPGs without the frills of the social aspects.

I love both series for completely separate reasons, but I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Do you like turn based RPGs?

13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

SMT is Pokemon but some of the monster are made of dicks

14. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

In the wise words of Hot Fuzz, it’s just that one dick actually.

15. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

zigbigwig likes this.
  16. Henry

Moderator Moderator

zigbigwig likes this.
  17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

With games that release in America where you can behead people and chop off arms you'd think we'd be able to handle a nipple without crashing down society.

18. theagentcoma

Turn based RPGs are my bread and butter. Where would a newbie to the series start?

Well this sounds like my kind of series

19. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Like Persona, you can comfortably start anywhere. The core games and Devil Survivor games are very different and forgiving to new players at the start.

20. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

Can you guys recommend a good fun JRPG for iOS? I want something I can play in bed at night on my iPad. Thanks!

21. GBlades

Trusted

I am replaying Final Fantasy XII. Bought it when it came out, didn't get that far due to the new battle system but I'm gonna try it again since I'm not as picky now.

22. GBlades

Trusted

Maybe try Chaos Rings? It's a good fun RPG and the story is just mental.

23. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

Thanks I will check into that one.

24. GBlades

Trusted

Think there is 3 of them but i'm not sure of any other JRPG. I'm looking for some for myself on Android.

25. EarlyMorningRiser

Keep on the sunny side.

Not a JRPG, but Banner Saga looks pretty cool and gets good reviews for mobile.