Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 12

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. lightning

Ooof no it's nothing like 12. Haha. I find 13's battle system much smoother than 12's.

oldjersey likes this.
  2. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Is it funny that the first digital purchase I plan on making when I get the Switch is this game:

Like I'm sure I'm missing out on tons of amazing must-play games but I wanna play a basic retro feeling tactical RPG lol

zigbigwig and oldjersey like this.
  3. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Haha no I totally get that. You should see what I buy on there. There's a lot of hidden gems on the eShop. You'll also be able to play Octopath Traveler soon so that's really nice.

theagentcoma likes this.
  4. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

I played the demo version and the transitions were too slow for me. I know it's a weird thing to be bummed about but that was the same reason I stopped playing Diamond/Pearl. But I feel like if I picked it up again I'd enjoy it a lot.

I kinda miss the 3DS though. Lots of games I still want to get. I want to replay Strange Journey and Radiant Historia too. I think I remember there was an interesting JRPG that released recently on the system. I forgot the name but I remember thinking about picking it up.

5. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm playing the begin of .hack//G.U. and it's so fucking annoying. The story is absolutely awful so far. Gaspard is annoying as fuck.

6. theagentcoma

just pre-ordered Octopath on Amazon using the 20% discount for Prime members. Getting the Switch + Mario Kart tomorrow. It begins!

7. theagentcoma

I am in the final chapter of Breath of Fire 4. I estimate that there is about 3 hours left in the game. I've enjoyed it very much so far, and it has lived up to the hype that 12 year old me had when it first came out. There have been a couple of twists (one of them very sad) that caught me off guard, which has not happened to me when gaming in years. Should be able to finish it this week, which is good because when Octopath comes out next week I will disappear into it.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  8. theagentcoma

I've played about 1.5 hours of the Octopath demo (half of the allowed amount) since downloading it Saturday. I'm trying to go really slow so I can stretch it out until the release next Friday. I intentionally picked a character I don't plan on using for my main party. After such a small sample size, I have to say that this game is gorgeous. When I made it to a coastal area, I sat and just stared at the water for like 15 seconds lol. It's beautiful.

Also, hot damn is the OST good. I've been listening to it nonstop. Can't wait until the full thing is out.

zigbigwig likes this.
  9. PureBlueSF

Regular Supporter

I'm playing through Tales of Xillia again because my old PS3 decided to shit the bed right as I was getting close to the end and I didn't get around to replacing it until a few months ago. Game still fucking rules.

10. zigbigwig

I Miss Jake W Prestigious

I haven't played the demo, and it doesn't look like I'll be able to play Octopath on release day but based on everyone's reactions so far it looks like it's going to be amazing.

On another note, is Alliance Alive any good? That was the game I was talking about in my last post.

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. Pooch

Regular

OMG Ogre Battle 64 is one of my favorite games and my choice for most underrated ever. That series needs a new-gen or PC reboot.

theagentcoma likes this.
  12. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm posting this both in here and the video game thread so people don't miss it.

There's a 3DS sale of really great games right now on the eShop.

SMT IV- $11.99
    Persona Q: Shadow Of The Labyrinth - $14.99
    Stella Glow - $14.99
    The Alliance Alive - $29.99
    SMT: Strange Journey Redux - $31.99
    SMT: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker - $14.99
    SMT: Devil Survivor Overclocked - $14.99
    SMT: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers - $14.99
    The Legend Of Legacy - $14.99
    Etrian Mystery Dungeon - $14.99

The sale ends on Monday, 7/9 for all the games. Sorry for the late notice.

Stella Glow is a sleeper hit. Would recommend. I can vouch for nearly all of these games. If you have any questions please feel free ask.

theagentcoma likes this.
  13. Henry

Moderator Moderator

All of those SMT games are AWESOME.

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  14. theagentcoma

about to do the final dungeon/boss run in BoF4. Will report back.

15. theagentcoma

Done! Finished around the 28-hour mark, which is really short for those of us who are into JRPGs, which are typically at least 40ish hours long (in my experience). To be fair, there's a lot of stuff I didn't dig too deep into. I didn't put a lot of work into the Faerie Colony. I didn't find all of the Masters. I didn't fish that much (I'm not really a completionist in JRPGs). I still feel like I got the full experience without having to grind or do a bunch of dumb sidequests/busy work.

In typical JRPG fashion, there just happened to be another boss after the "final" boss. I knew how much HP it had and I was keeping a rough tally of it during the fight so I could know how close it was to death. Apparently my estimates were way off because I beat it with about 20,000 estimated HP left on my tally. Wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be.

This isn't really a review, but I really enjoyed the game. It lived up to the hype that my 7th grade self created all those years ago. It's the only other game in the series that I finished other than the first one.

Now to sit here and count down the hours until Octopath releases on Friday.

oldjersey likes this.
  16. GBlades

Trusted

I really envy you for getting to play this. This and FFX are 2 of my favourite jrpg games. Absolutely sucks that BoF5 was a good game, just not a good BoF game

theagentcoma likes this.
  17. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm playing Shining Resonance Refrain right now for the Switch and it's pretty meh so far, but I'm only like 30 minutes into it. The voice acting and faces are awful, but everything else seems to be decent.

The eShop hasn't updated yet so I can't download the Japanese voice pack yet, but I'm hoping the game will be a lot better once I switch out that audio.

18. Henry

Moderator Moderator

19. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

20. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Wait, is 84 supposed to be bad?

IGN's review is glowing and after XC2 I don't think I'll ever trust Jason Schreier to review a JRPG again. Not sure why he's even being tasked with the genre, to be honest. It really seems like he doesn't like it at this point since most of his issues are pretty standard JRPG fare, especially of the era that this game seems to be calling back to.

21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

84 is definitely not bad lol

slowheart and nomemorial like this.
  22. Henry

Moderator Moderator

Metacritic is aggregated so it combines all scores. Usually, anything above an 80 is great. 70+ is still good. When you dip into the 60's I start to question things.

I don't really trust the site for music, but movies and games are usually on point.

23. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Jason is an asshole, a hack and self-centered. I don't trust anything he says anyway.

IGN tends to run high. They're a site of extremes.

24. Jake W

oh my god, I'm back on my bullshit Prestigious

Apart from when there's too much water...

slowheart and Henry like this.
  25. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I do consider that an extreme...