Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 11

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Camera is way better in Super Mario RPG then in BOF 4 though

2. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

To be fair, everything is better in SMRPG...

theagentcoma and oldjersey like this.
  3. Henry

Moderator Moderator

This has me fucking pumped.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-rpg-octopath-traveler-wont-have-dlc-bec-1826912412

Game will take between 50-60 hours to complete.

“It took about 80 to 100 hours in testing to play through the other elements, like sub-stories and dungeons that you don’t have to go to as well as get proficient as you like at using special skills as field commands.”

Dengeki Online asked if there were plans to offer DLC.

“We are not thinking about that at all,” said Takahashi. “The release version is a finished product.”

Octopath Traveler will be released on July 13.

theagentcoma, oldjersey and Joe4th like this.
  4. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I mean...yay? That doesn't do anything for me either way. It's also a weird way of slamming companies that do DLC. There's just so many different types of games and DLCs that I think it's a strange thing to say.

I'm glad to have a completion time estimate from them.

5. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm mostly excited for 150 hours of gameplay. I played the shit out of the first Bravely Default. More of that please.

slowheart, theagentcoma and Joe4th like this.
  6. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I couldn't get into that game. It also had a ridiculous name.

7. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

These games generally are ridiculous

8. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I don't know, man.

Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger Vs Darkdeath Evilman was pretty serious in my opinion.

9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

Hot damn, I don't even have a Switch but that game looks amazing, everything I want in a JRPG.

10. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I'm playing the first Rune Factory and for some reason the default name for your character cracks me up.

Attached Files:

theagentcoma likes this.
  11. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I was just complaining to a friend about how no matter how much I love them, JRPGs are so difficult for me to get through in 2018 for time purposes. Clocked 2-3 hours in XC2 this past Saturday and at least 30 minutes of that was 1 cutscene. It's way more manageable on a console like the Switch due to portability and sleep mode and such, but I'm so intimidated by games that are just relentlessly long.

That being said, Octopath Traveler looks incredible and I want to buy it day one solely to support the idea of games like it existing. I enjoyed the first demo reasonably, but I think it will be a blast to delve into.

oldjersey and theagentcoma like this.
  12. ikanacanyon

Free jake w

I played a bit of the first demo and it didn’t hook me but I really wanna give Octopath another shot. It seems like it really would be right up my alley

13. theagentcoma

hell I'm talking to my wife about buying a Switch just for this game. The last time I owned a console that was current generation? Gamecube, a year after it came out. I deserve this, right?

oldjersey, nomemorial and ikanacanyon like this.
  14. nomemorial

You definitely do. It's Switch season, friend!!

On that note, everyone should add my friend code. I don't have enough friends on this platform and I'm bad at Fortnite and need reasons to play Splatoon 2 again. SW-6334-0156-9520

15. theagentcoma

Well looks like I'm getting a Switch soon solely for Octopath. My wife will of course want Mario Kart as well. I don't even know what it will be like to own a console that has new games in stores currently. The last time I was purchasing games for a new system (not console) was with the original DS back in like 2006.

16. nomemorial

You will not be disappointed. Plus, MK on Switch is too good. I played through almost all of MK8 on Wii U and then rebought for Switch. It's the first game my wife has actively wanted to play in years so that was a ton of fun. It's the perfect level of casual and competitive with the whole CC-choices thing. Just a good time all-around.

Hoping we get some deep discussion on Octopath going in this thread!

oldjersey and theagentcoma like this.
  17. Henry

Moderator Moderator

I'm not sure I'll ever play this game again, but some of this stuff should have been there day 1.

18. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

At least they aren't charging for a hard mode like BOTW did...can't believe they got away with that.

19. drewinseries

Drew

Any got any good turn based JRPG games that are cheap with the steam sale?

20. theagentcoma

dammit now I'm legit obsessed with Octopath Traveler. I can't stop reading reviews, watching videos, etc. I told myself I'd wait until next paycheck to get a Switch but it's hard to wait until even then because I could play the demo if I had it today lol. Haven't been this stoked for a JRPG since Radiant Historia way back in like 2010

21. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

I wish people would talk about Valkyria Chronicles 4 just as much because that's one of my most anticipated...

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. Finished up Dragon Quest Heroes today. Pretty solid.

theagentcoma likes this.
  23. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

If anyone has a 3DS and hasn't played Stella Glow I personally think you're missing out on a gem. Great sound track.

theagentcoma likes this.
  24. theagentcoma

I've never played this franchise. Where would one start?

25. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Valkyria Chronicles Remastered for the PS4 is vvverrrryyyy good. I would start there.

theagentcoma likes this.