Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The JRPG Thread • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by theagentcoma, May 14, 2018.

1. Think we're on similar pages re: XV. I do think the actual ending is good in a vacuum, just not earned by the rest of the game we got. It's a not very good game that I had a mostly fine time playing for a billion hours that I'd rather kinda forget about.

Nier is soooooo much more rewarding

2. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

Been hardcore craving a PS1-2 era JRPG. Thinking about finally starting Shadow Hearts: Covenant.

theagentcoma likes this.
  3. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Yeah I enjoyed the ending and even teared up a bit at the campfire scene but it would've been so much better if any of these characters were fleshed out.

4. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I got halfway through XV then stopped. I think just the battle system didn't hook me so much. I am such a sucker for turn base. I did like the car soundtracks lol.

ChaseTx likes this.
  5. tucah

not champ Prestigious

about halfway through suikoden 1 and it's still good

theagentcoma and oldjersey like this.
  6. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yes! I blew through it. It isn't the hardest game but it's the perfect balance of story telling and fun gameplay.

Has anyone played ones past the second??

theagentcoma and tucah like this.
  7. ChaseTx

yeah the battle system got a lot of comparisons to Kingdom Hearts but I don't think it has a lot of depth or enough variety to the weapons/magic.

I've only got a couple more trophies and it should be pretty easy to platinum though

8. ChaseTx

The worst part was walking through that lab thing with no weapons while Ardyn taunted me over the intercom like the Joker in the Arkham games. That's where I really started getting critical of the game.

I know XIII gets a lot of shit but it was a much better game in every way I think

9. I thought the battle system "felt" good from like a weight/tactility sense but yeah ultimately there wasn't much to actually do or think about

ChaseTx likes this.
  10. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Crap I don't think I have ever even touched XIII before. Is the system close to XII?

11. ChaseTx

I've only played XII for a few hours and it was years ago, so I can't really remember.

But in XIII it's pretty deep. You set the roles for each party member (healing, buffs, black magic, attack, etc), you create paradigms to switch between those roles for the whole party, you choose the party leader you control directly and everyone else acts automatically. There's an auto-battle feature you can use which seems like it would make things boring, but it doesn't because you're constantly switching paradigms for the situation you're in

12. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Yeah that's exactly like XII. I like XII I just did not get good at mastering the system. I hit a wall like 65 percent into the game where I started getting my ASS kicked.

ChaseTx likes this.
  13. tucah

not champ Prestigious

yep, i've played them all.

3 is divisive because it's often kind of slow and there's a fair bit of backtracking and revisiting the same plot because of the structure but i still love it, especially as a conclusion to the 1-2-3 trilogy. the story and characters aren't as good as 2 but they're still great and it's well worth playing as the end of the trilogy.

4 is bad. the characters are unmemorable, the story isn't very good (it's a prequel taking place 100+ years earlier), the battle system doesn't even have the classic 6 member party (it's down to 4), the random battles are overwhelmingly common. it doesn't quite feel like a suikoden game and it was insanely disappointing at the time. suikoden tactics goes alone with 4, as it's a prequel and sequel to 4 with many of the same characters, but it's much better. very solid SRPG system, fleshes out the characters way more than 4 does and the story is pretty solid.

5 is wonderful. it feels like a more modern (well, PS2 modern) take on suikoden 2. it has the best battle system in the series, it's set close to the timeline of 1-2-3 (7 years before 1) so i found the story more intriguing. definitely recommended.

and let's not talk about suikoden tierkreis

14. ChaseTx

oh and XIII has an advancement system a lot like FFX's sphere grid, so it's really satisfying to clear an area and immediately go add new skills and stats.

lightning, ikanacanyon and oldjersey like this.
  15. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Ugh I have no idea how I could play 3 and 5. How are ps2 emulators these days?

16. tucah

not champ Prestigious

ps2 emulation is very good these days - pretty perfect for most games outside of occasionally minor graphics glitches. other than that, 3 is on PSN if you have a PS3.

oldjersey and nomemorial like this.
  17. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

This was me 6 years ago and there's still so much to catch up to.

tucah, oldjersey and nomemorial like this.
  18. nomemorial

you're in a cult, call your dad

I double endorse this. If you have a decent PC, PS2 emulation is honestly my preferred way to play PS2 games now. So many games actually look really amazing if you render at a higher resolution (FFXII was beautiful pre-remaster).

tucah likes this.
  19. theagentcoma

Do you guys use controllers for PS2 emulation? I'm clueless when it comes to anything past the SNES era of emulators lol. I'd hate to have to use my keyboard.

20. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I have a Mac but have a partition running Windows so I should be okay running PS2 games. @theagentcoma I have this Logitech usb controller that works for everything and is only like 25 bucks. It's great. Very long wire too.

theagentcoma likes this.
  21. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

theagentcoma likes this.
  22. Contender

Goodness is Nowhere Supporter

Thanks to E3, once I get my PS4 back from my partner tomorrow I'm going to finish where I left off with KH a few months ago.

23. theagentcoma

damn these diagonal controls on BOF4 are so obnoxious. Just had to go through one of those annoying rooms where a wrong step means you fall through the floor to an empty room below. Took me like 15 tries lol

Vase Full Of Rocks likes this.
  24. Just started Skies of Arcadia. Excited to finally play this one.

25. Vase Full Of Rocks

Trusted Supporter

Stuff like that always took me so long to get used to. Super Mario RPG kind of had a similar problem.

theagentcoma likes this.