Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Jon Hill Project - Rebirth (January 11, 2019) Album • Page 3

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Dec 7, 2018.

1. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

It’s his story and that’s just the way he chose to tell it. I’m offering an explaination as to why, based on an interview I read.

I personally didn’t feel like “where’s the male vocals on the Boy Genius EP”. I do duets and respect the point you are trying to make though. More album talk though. Having Nate of All Get Out on here made me discover this.

beachdude likes this.
  2. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

I agree with the overall sentiment that this would have benefited from female collaboration (for obvious reasons) but I’d even go as far to say the music suffers because of the lack. Like others have said, the album is easy to listen to and technically enjoyable, but doesn’t offer much in terms of variety or innovation. A female vocalist might have diversified the songs on this project a bit more imo.

Philll likes this.
  3. trevorshmevor Jan 19, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2019)
    Can you link the interview? I bet he doesn’t say “I chose all men to sing these songs because I am a man”.

And yeah, you shouldn’t feel like that about the Boygenius EP because Boygenius is a band. The Jon Hill Project is not a band. It’s Jon Hill choosing 11 different people to collab with on 11 different songs. You’re comparing apples to oranges.

4. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

The whole article he addresses the project as “I”, and being autobiographical. He is male, and probably can better relate to the words being from the view point of a male. Also, he chose male vocalist that are in his age and musical stylings.

There are no hip hop artists or males over 50 singing on that album either as far as I can tell. So it’s even less diverse than you have acknowledged.

Also, if he chose to have 1, or 11 females vocalists on there to tell his story too, that’d cool too. His art. It’s not like he posted a No Girls Allowed on his album cover.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bil...hill-project-rebirth-album-premiere-interview

Beyond this back an forth, maybe this concept should make us ask ourselves which 11 vocalists would you chose to sing your life story. I know mine are probably almost all from the punk/rock/folk genres. If it were 30, it’d be more diverse. If it were 100, then even more diverse (and so on).

beachdude likes this.
  5. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Boy Genius is a band with three female vocalists. You could say there is a lack of diversity having three female vocalists. I wouldn’t though, because I don’t care. It’s three friends who chose to form a band. It’s their art. They aren’t hurting anyone. You either like it or you don’t.

The diversity is in the listeners tastes sometimes. I don’t want all the bands I listen to sounding similar.

beachdude likes this.
  6. Philll

Trusted

I don't think anyone here is arguing that every musical act needs to have equal male and female representation. But it has been pointed out that boygenius is a different beast to the jon hill project.

I'm not necessarily saying that Hill was wrong in his approach, but it's a worthwhile discussion.

Also very conscious that at the moment this is a bunch of dudes discussing this and maybe our perspective on the whole thing is lacking in the first place.

trevorshmevor likes this.
  7. Again, no. The fact that you cannot see the very distinct difference between a collaborative project like this one and a pre-existing band making an album is astounding. Your argument would only make sense if I was out here criticizing a band of men (take your pick) for not having any female features on their record. That isn’t what’s happening here, this is not a band.

8. Wtf is with all these whatabout-isms? Stop trying to derail the point being made. This isn’t a hip hop record so why would he have any hip hop artists on it? Jon is 31 years old, it is reasonable that he wouldn’t have any friends over the age of 50 to call in to sing on his goddamn emo record. This is a super weird hill to die on and the more this conversation goes on the more apparent it’s becoming that you’ll say whatever you can to justify a glaring omission of female musicians on this project for a complete stranger, because representation is an issue you simply do not care about. And that’s FINE. Not every person has to care about every thing. I do, so I’m speaking up about it — we do not have to agree. Please stop acting like you’re a martyr for artistic freedom under the guise that this is something you’d otherwise give a shit about.

Not once did I imply that he did. I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt multiple times here, starting with my initial post saying that I don’t know what the selection process for this album was like. You’re blowing a very obvious and relatively small criticsm way out of proportion.

9. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Again, if you read that article, it is all implied as autobiographical. He probably picked people similar to himself. I don’t see
    A bunch of female artists out there saying why didn’t Jon pick me to sing 1/11th of his story. We are not talking about the right to equal opportunity to airplay on radio here.

If you picked 11 singers to sing the autobiography of your life, as a male, how many are female? My number is zero. That doesn’t say mean there aren’t amazing female vocalists. That doesn’t make me sexist. I just grabitate to a certain style of singer personally.

What’s your 11?

10. serotonin

who told you this room exists? Supporter

Man, I am just starting this album but stared at that tracklist and was blown away. I literally bought the vinyl as I got to the second song in. As someone who usually feels they have a pulse on the music community, I completely missed this release. Over half of the artists on this lists are ones I'd consider some of my favorite bands, Tides of Man included. Anyway, would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

supernovagirl and beachdude like this.
  11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I love the artwork and vinyl variant for this so i ended up buying it

beachdude likes this.