Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Jon Hill Project - Rebirth (January 11, 2019) Album • Page 2

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Dec 7, 2018.

1. JBoch

Trusted Supporter

I thought this was good but Nathan’s song is really the only standout

teebs41 likes this.
  2. azzy01

Regular

Jeez. Tanner's song is great. Would be really interesting hearing him over instrumentals like that.

teebs41, KidLightning and beachdude like this.
  3. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Hard disagree, that one’s good but I’d put several others above it. Aaron Marsh’s, Michael McGough’s, and Keith Goodwin’s tracks are all highlights for me.

KidLightning and anonimito like this.
  4. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

crap, forgot this came out. checking it out now.

5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

is Hail the Sun any good? His song is pretty cool actually.

beachdude likes this.
  6. Micah511

I can't get over how much he sounds like someone trying to sing like Anthony Green.

teebs41 and OotyPa like this.
  7. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

Yeah they are pretty tight.

beachdude likes this.
  8. Micah511

Whoa, I was never a Finch fan, but this song with Nate is fun.

9. irthesteve

Yeah, this is instantly what I thought when I heard the song on here.

teebs41 and OotyPa like this.
  10. Micah511

Tilian's song sounds like a song off his solo album, but one of the good ones.

It felt disjointed as an album, but it was all enjoyable. Some songs were not very memorable. Nathan Hussey track, Casey's track, along with the aforementioned Nate track, all stood out on first listen.

11. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It really didn't feel that disjointed to me actually. Surprisingly cohesive considering its a different singer on every track.

KidLightning and beachdude like this.
  12. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

anyone else have to check when the Hail the Sun song came on bc they thought it was Anthony Green?

13. irthesteve

beachdude, KidLightning and teebs41 like this.
  14. Colin Your Enthusiasm

beachdude and teebs41 like this.
  15. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

16. irthesteve

Wake up!

17. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

Is the lack of female vocalist because this is a personal autobiographical thing from his perspective (being male). Haven’t listened yet so I’m asking. Kinda curious to hear this album cycle because of the positive feedback and liked the song with Nate from All Get Out.

18. That’s definitely possible, but would still fail to justify the lack of inclusion IMO. Like, making the conscious decision to only include men on his project because he needed to remind the world 11 times in a row that he, himself, is a man would be silly at best. Everyone’s felt heartbreak and we’re all capable of conveying it.

Again though, I’m not trying to make any assumptions! I don’t know Jon Hill or what went on while making this record. Just wish there’d been some non-male representation on this project that seemed to aim for diversity

irthesteve likes this.
  19. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

I really don’t understand why though? I mean, if it was Jane Hill Project written from a women’s perspective I’d find it annoying if all of a sudden it was a man singing. The guy wrote 11 songs and has 11 different singers with different voices from a variety of sounding bands.

If the songs didn’t have that continuous theme from what I read I’d get it. For me, the diversity lies in the listener. Listen to to this album, and then go listen to something to something very different.

I will probably give this a listen today and see if my perspective changes.

teebs41 likes this.
  20. beachdude

I think it would be nice if there were female vocalists included, but I also don’t think it’s something I would necessarily criticize it for.

21. .K.

Trusted Prestigious

But the perspective is that of a man struggling with drug addiction and a broken relationship. If he’s telling a personal story, then I can see why he did it that way.

If he had wanted to include a female vocalist, maybe he could have wrote a part of a song where he’s exchanging words or parts of a song with his wife or ex wife. Maybe he felt it was wrong to give her a voice though. Just an idea though.

22. GBlades

Trusted

There are plenty albums out there that don't include the opposite gender but that could be any number of reasons, this doesn't need to be secluded from that for no obvious reasons .

beachdude likes this.
  23. beachdude

I’m still listening to this a ton. The Aaron Marsh, Brennan Taulbee, Michael McGough, and Tanner Merritt tracks are all standouts to me, but I honestly think the whole album is really consistent.

Colin Your Enthusiasm likes this.
  24. Philll

Trusted

After a couple of listens, this is pleasant in a letting it wash over me kind of a way, but there's not a lot that I find actively exciting. The Aaron Marsh track is maybe the only one that'll have a lasting impact. The vocal performances are really great across the board though.

Personally I think it's a shame there isn't some female representation on the album. Sure he's trying to tell his personal story, but if he's happy for 11 other people to tell it for him it's not like he's being so possessive of it in the first place. I feel it wouldn't have done any harm to the narrative at least, and at best could make a really positive point and give voice to some female talent.

25. I think that out of 11 guest singers, it’d have been really cool to even have even just 1 of them not be a man. The story he’s telling here has nothing to do with his gender, so this whole “he needs a man to tell a man’s story” thing feels entirely irrelevant. If he theoretically couldn’t include a female here because he was afraid people would forget he was a man for 3 and a half minutes, that’d be really sad and deeply insecure. If you’d really be annoyed that someone from a different gender was helping to convey feelings of heartbreak and struggles with addiction, then that’s on you. These are things that human beings from all walks of life deal with.

And yes, if there were hypothetically a second perspective being told in this story, it’d be most effective to have a distinctly different voice to tell it. But that doesn’t exist, so.

One more time, I’m not saying this album greatly suffers from a lack of women or trying to take some big grand stand against Jon Hill for not including any. This record is good and I’ve enjoyed listening to it. But yes, for a full length album that features a different singer for every song, I would criticize the decision to intentionally not include even one single female person. Considering we have zero context for how the result came to be, I’m fine just disagreeing here.

OotyPa likes this.