Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Jon Hill Project - Rebirth (January 11, 2019) Album

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by beachdude, Dec 7, 2018.

1. beachdude

I'm not brave Prestigious

Tracklist:
    1. Would You Save Me Now (feat. Aaron Marsh)
    2. Grey's Gift (feat. Brennan Taulbee)
    3. Lesson Learned in Seconds (feat. Donovan Melero)
    4. Take the Next Step (feat. Casey Crescenzo)
    5. Drifting Towards the Sun (feat. Kerry Courtney)
    6. Show You the Stars (feat. Keith Goodwin)
    7. Hang 'Em High (feat. Nate Barcalow)
    8. Take Me Up (feat. Michael McGough)
    9. Drinking and Cleaning (feat. Nathan Hussey)
    10. Flat Line (feat. Tanner Merritt)
    11. Same Old Song (feat. Tilian)

""Rebirth" is a monumental solo album for percussionist and songwriter, Jon Hill. In 2016, Jon joined forces with Spencer Bradham, in-demand producer & lead songwriter, as well as Spencer Gill, songwriter & guitarist from Tides of Man, to develop an album that talks about his struggle with addiction, the end of his 9 year marriage to Jaclyn Hill, and his hope for a new chance at life. This trio of songwriters handpicked 11 highly esteemed frontman legends who helped pave the way in post-rock, indie and alternative to lyrically and melodically communicate Jon's sentiments of both pain and hope: Aaron Marsh from Copeland, Brennan Taulbee from Polyenso, Nate Barcalow from Finch, Tilian Pearson from Dance Gavin Dance, Donovan Melero from Hail the Sun, Keith Goodwin from Good Old War, Kerry Courtney from Goodnight Neverland, Casey Crescenzo from The Dear Hunter, Michael McGough from Being as an Ocean, Tanner Merritt from O'Brother and Nathan Hussey from All Get Out. Pulling from his deeply seated struggle during the two years of writing this record, each song paints a new picture into Jon's soul that resonates with anyone who has ever come full circle in love and loss. In some songs, you can hear true anguish in his thunderous drumming sprinkled with the haunting melodies and pain driven vocals of guest singers. Yet, in others, you feel his sense of hope in his rhythmic brilliance intensified by endearing vocals and verses. Needless to say, the entire record is a playground of emotions that is full of powerful instrumentation, compelling but familiar voices and a look inside the mystery of Jon Hill's notorious, highly publicized life."

supernovagirl and trevorshmevor like this.
  2. beachdude

This is a shockingly great album. Every vocalist gets to shine in their own way, yet there's still a cohesive flow to the gorgeous and subtle instrumentation throughout. People are going to love this.

Quercus and trevorshmevor like this.
  3. Micah511

We reach for the longest shadow Supporter

It's interesting that Tilian wrote a song with an ex-Tides of Man bandmate. Really excited for this.

beachdude likes this.
  4. beachdude

Spencer’s always been the main composer of Tides of Man’s music too... not gonna lie, I was hoping Tilian’s track would feel like a reunion of his era of ToM. It isn’t that, but it’s definitely great in its own right.

Micah511 likes this.
  5. irthesteve

formerly irthesteve Prestigious

here for it

beachdude likes this.
  6. Shakriel

Cause I'm running low on these hours of mine Prestigious

Like the Marsh track, will definitely check out the whole album when it releases, fan of the few names I recognize on there.

7. GBlades

Trusted

So I just listened to this in full and there are a few names on there that lit me right up when I heard the songs. I'll be listening a few times to get a good feel of it but I think it's a good album so far.

beachdude likes this.
  8. OotyPa

fall away Supporter

Will take time to listen today.

beachdude likes this.
  9. irthesteve

oooo out today!

beachdude likes this.
  10. TriangularDuck

Regular Supporter

This album is right up my fucking alley, love it. Wouldn't be surprised to see it end up on my end year list.

beachdude likes this.
  11. This is a pretty impressive album. Every song feels specifically tailored to the singer he chose for it.

beachdude likes this.
  12. Theemoflamingo

Regular

Album is fantastic

beachdude likes this.
  13. beachdude

Hell yeah, glad to see people already digging this.

Exactly. I think they did a fantastic job with that. Spencer Gill is such a great guitarist/songwriter, I’m sure he had a big hand in why this album feels so consistent.

KidLightning likes this.
  14. Elder Lightning

A lightning bolt without a cloud in the sky Supporter

beachdude likes this.
  15. Colin Your Enthusiasm

It's nobody's battle but your own. Prestigious

I liked the record but wanted to love it. I will return to it tho and still tempted to pick up the vinyl.

KidLightning likes this.
  16. trevorshmevor Jan 11, 2019
    (Last edited: Jan 19, 2019)
    Loved this on the first pass. I don’t know what I expected from Nate Barcalow but that guy sounds better than ever. Love to hear from Brennan too since we’ve been waiting on that new Polyenso for what feels like forever now.

My only criticism I guess is that with such a cool concept, feels like it would’ve been pretty easy to get some women on this. I don’t know much about what was happening behind the scenes with this, maybe he tried. But it’s a bummer that there aren’t any present on such a big roster!

17. GBlades

Trusted

If anything, this has introduced me to a shit-load of bands I never even knew existed.

beachdude likes this.
  18. Lex

the horizon is my home

Yeah Nate's voice surprised me too. The songs do an excellent job for showcasing the singers' voices and/or showing different sides to their capabilities.

I falsely assumed that Kerry Courtney was a woman before listening to the track just because I expected there'd be one female voice included. (I never heard of his band before so ooops.) Oh, well. Hopefully next time we get some female voices.

19. Completely unrelated, that’s a great avatar!

Colin Your Enthusiasm and Lex like this.
  20. Lex

the horizon is my home

21. supernovagirl

Poetic and noble land mermaid

Goodnight Neverland is(/was) a pretty big local band, in the area as Jon Hill so it makes sense.
    I'm super excited for this exposure for him, since this project/album is getting more excitement than I thought.

I'm excited to check it out.

beachdude likes this.
  22. irthesteve

pretty fun first listen, definitely enjoyed the songs from the vocalists I know the most though (Aaaron, Casey, Keith, Nate, Nathan)

beachdude likes this.
  23. azzy01

Regular

This slaps, it's like a really great compilation / playlist.

beachdude likes this.
  24. Leftandleaving

I will be okay. everything Supporter

Seems like I’d be into this

beachdude likes this.
  25. teebs41

Prestigious Prestigious

I love Nathan's (AGO) song on here.