Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2018) Movie • Page 16

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Also did I miss what happened to his wife? Obviously she died of natural causes, but towards the end they were at a funeral for who I assumed was Russ. I had my volume kinda low during that part so I couldn’t make out what Frank was saying.

2. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

She died of lung cancer. That was her funeral

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  3. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

definitely assumed it was Russ too since the line right before it was “he went to church. then he went to the hospital. then he went in the ground.”

4. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Exactly! I thought oh is this Russ’s funeral or his wife cuz she’s gone all of a sudden lol.

5. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I doubt that Peggy would go to Russ’s funeral, though

jorbjorb likes this.
  6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

His daughters would not have gone to Russ’s funeral.

jorbjorb and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  7. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

The voiceover and lines from the priest also make it clear that it’s for his wife.

jorbjorb and OhTheWater like this.
  8. Morrissey

Trusted

They mention that she died of lung cancer.

jorbjorb and OhTheWater like this.
  9. flask

Trusted Supporter

I got the impression he was supposed to be ~early 30s~ at the gas station but Pesci calls him “son” and they practically look the same age which I thought was funny. I’m also not sure if I buy Scorsese’s reasoning for using the same actors instead of casting younger but it works for the most part so whatever.

jorbjorb likes this.
  10. Morrissey

Trusted

It wouldn't work with multiple actors.

They didn't have a Boyhood-style plan to film over a long period of time so they had to use what they could. This isn't the first film to portray one actor over a long period of time, but instead of makeup and prosthetics they used computers. At times it is unconvincing because you are actively looking for it but it is a small part of a great film.

Zilla, jorbjorb, SpyKi and 3 others like this.
  11. Sean Murphy

Prestigious Supporter

the scenes with the priest were great as well

jorbjorb and phaynes12 like this.
  12. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Man the last half hour of this was so depressing

good movie.

jorbjorb likes this.
  13. Dinosaurs Dish

Prestigious Prestigious

I liked it didn’t love it. Also agree that the CGI looked totally fine for the most part, store owner fight obviously being the scene where it did look awful. When he kicks him and stomps his hand, it literally looks like a GTA character with how it doesn’t fully connect and the sound is laughably fake sounding.

Felt it drag about an hour or so in but the last 30-45 was really great and made up for it.

jorbjorb and joe.boy.fresh. like this.
  14. the rural juror Dec 1, 2019
    (Last edited: Dec 1, 2019)
    the rural juror

carried in the arms of cheerleaders

I loved this and haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. Thought it earned every minute of its runtime. Brilliant performances from DeNiro, Pacino, and Pesci.

jorbjorb likes this.
  15. BackyardHero11

Trusted

thought this was really great. overall the cgi worked. took a little getting used to and were certainly times it was still clear it was a 70 year old body with a deaged face in how they moved. but for the most part I was very enthralled, performances were top notch. DeNiro, Pesci, Pacino, and shout out to Ray Romano, he was great. I personally didn't feel the length and I'm not sure I saw anyone in the packed theatre get up during the film.

jorbjorb likes this.
  16. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

I feel like Ray Romano hasn't got much love in here.

Here's some love Ray Romano you were great.

17. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

ray’s my dad

jorbjorb likes this.
  18. jorbjorb

7 rings

I still have 1.5hrs left but I'm really liking it. I don't know if I could watch it all in one sitting though. Some might disagree but I think it could have been a cool TV series (split over 4 or 5 episodes).

19. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

I wish Scorsese let Ray slip in his catchphrase "Oh, Debra!" into one of his scenes

Brother Beck and imthesheriff like this.
  20. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

The flashback to his time in WWII, he was only 25 by the time the war ended.

EASheartsVinyl likes this.
  21. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

That scene was maybe the most noticeable, but they were smart to not focus on the face or his movement as much.

22. domotime2

Great Googly Moogly Supporter

Hes one of those directors where I hear "3 hours" and I get more excited.

This was fantastic.

23. Steve_JustAGuy

Trusted

The individual performances were great. I'll second the Romano love, thought he was real good. Obviously the big three did a great job. The CGI was whatever, only noticed it a few times with De Niro, although the grocer scene was pretty unforgivable. If Pesci and Pitt square off for an Oscar I'll be sad for whoever doesn't win.

Maybe a top five Scorsese film for me, but maybe not. Have to muster up another viewing before I can crystallize an opinion on that.

24. SteveLikesMusic

approx. 3rd coolest Steve on here Supporter

Loved a couple of the funny conversations , the big ears guy, the how long counts as being late stuff, etc

Mrplum5089 and imthesheriff like this.
  25. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

I grew up with family members dipping bread in wine, that was nice to see.

jorbjorb likes this.