Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2018) Movie • Page 10

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Dec 21, 2016.

1. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

This was phenomenal, especially the last third or so. Everyone was so good, so compelling. I loved the way Scorsese wove in historical events.

The last 30 minutes or so are going to stay with me for a long time.

2. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

EASheartsVinyl and Anthony_ like this.
  3. jkauf

Prestigious Supporter

Can’t wait to watch this again, been thinking about it all the time.

oldjersey likes this.
  4. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

5. Jake Gyllenhaal

Wookie of the Year Supporter

All of this hype is crazy!! When I finally watch it I'll put on my cheap socks in case they get knocked the fuck off

6. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

Wear nice ones because it’s a long movie and you deserve to be comfy.

joe.boy.fresh. and oldjersey like this.
  7. phaynes12

https://expertfrowner.bandcamp.com/ Prestigious

zach baron is great

8. Full Effect Ed

...In F*cking Full Effect Prestigious

It’s seriously a modern masterpiece.

9. Signifire

Headphones blaring three stacks Prestigious

Can’t fucking wait for this. Haven’t heard a single bad thing.

10. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

c i n e m a

11. Morrissey

Trusted

This was very good.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  12. Morrissey

Trusted

As much of the focus was on the CGI, what really gives away the age of the actors is the way they move, especially DeNiro, who has the most physical scenes.

13. LightWithoutHeat

You're not a teammate on my team

The scene with the shop owner was especially telling. The impact in the moment was lessened somewhat for me.

14. Nathan

The structure of this film is a marvel. For about the first like, third of the movie, within a given minute or two of screentime you could have narrations and audio and visuals from like, six different times/places. But towards the end, Scorsese slows down, and the final hit/Frank's day to day life at the end hit so hard because of it.

The CGI de-aging looked fine from a technical standpoint, except that De Niro looks about 45 even in his youngest scenes, but yeah the physicality of the actors really stands out when they're trying to play younger. I forgave it, everyone was excellent otherwise, but I'm not sure how many other directors/actors could pull it off.

LightWithoutHeat likes this.
  15. Morrissey

Trusted

It is also one of Scorsese's funniest films. The particular timing of the Action Bronson cameo, given what just happened in the film, is a career highlight.

16. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

There were so many funny lines I’ve already found myself quoting.

17. Nathan

Some of Pacino's big rants had me worried about the kind of Pacino performance we'd get early on, but he was super funny the rest of the way

18. Morrissey

Trusted

The potential was definitely there for a Scent of a Woman rant. In many ways it is the hardest role since we all know where it is heading, while the other characters are much less famous.

19. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I am very excited to see this. I probably won’t get to a theater until after it’s already out on Netflix. Is it worth it to take the trip or will home viewing be okay

20. Morrissey

Trusted

It really doesn't matter.

Zilla and OhTheWater like this.
  21. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

I will say, I’m glad I saw this in the theater for no reason other than watching a movie this long at home makes it inevitable that I’ll at some point pause to use the bathroom or make a drink, or just peak at my phone twice throughout. It felt good letting this just wash over me for 3.5hrs

Zilla and OhTheWater like this.
  22. oldjersey

Pro Podcaster Supporter

Honestly it was a little tough sitting in the theater for basically 4 hours

23. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

I go back and forth between 100% having to go to the bathroom or getting uncomfortable in a theater vs. the phone situation at home

PepsiOne likes this.
  24. EASheartsVinyl

Prestigious Prestigious

I loved seeing it in the theater and the crowd was good, but I’ll also be rewatching at home immediately and I’m sure I’ll love it that way too.

PepsiOne likes this.
  25. PepsiOne

Formerly PepsiOne Supporter

Was very worried about getting uncomfortable for sure, this was playing at an indie theater 5min from my house but I drove an hour to see it at the Landmark so my back wouldn’t hurt after 30min. I’m blessed with great movie theater bladder control tho so I’ve got that going for me

OhTheWater likes this.