Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Irishman (Martin Scorsese, 2018) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by airik625, Dec 21, 2016.

1. airik625

we've seen the shadow of the axe before Supporter

2. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

3. Anthony_ Dec 21, 2016
    (Last edited: Dec 21, 2016)
    Anthony_

A (Cancelled) Dork Prestigious

Yeah not a fan of that news at all re: the CGI de-aging. Also just really disappointed that he's doing this one next. Was hoping like hell he'd go with The Devil In The White City instead. Maybe after this one he'll finally re-team with Leo for that.

iCarly Rae Jepsen likes this.
  4. airik625

I thought that was next on the schedule, too.

5. Anthony_

Yeah he was going back-and-forth between that and this. I didn't know he had definitely settled on this until the news about the digital de-aging came out yesterday or whenever it was. I just don't know how much more there is for him to say about organized crime, he's already made the greatest mob movie of all time. It can't get any better than that. But, he's the master so he does what he wants. And it's not like I won't be there opening weekend anyway.

6. airik625

All good points.

If he is going to be de-aging Robert De Niro, can he also de-age Pacino while he's at it? hah. If possible, lets have them look exactly like they did in Heat.

Ken likes this.
  7. Anthony_

The tech just isn't there for this to look good by any definition of the word. I mean, CGI Peter Cushing and CGI Carrie Fisher in Rogue One looked not-so-great and that is with the full might and budget of the Disney machine backing it. Making De Niro look like he did in 1974 for long stretches of this film is going to be rough.

8. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

Devil is still happening, he's still working on the script

9. airik625

Oh for sure. Every character I've seen that has been digitally enhanced in any kind of way to produce a radically different age, has been obvious.

10. Anthony_

I know, I know. (Veruca Salt voice) I just wanted it now.

It's ok though, gives me more time to read the book.

11. neo506

2001-2022 Prestigious

suicidesaints likes this.
  12. Anthony_

This is some pretty surprising news. And it's a huge play by Netflix. They're really making moves in the feature film game. Well, four-picture deal with Adam Sandler notwithstanding.

coleslawed and airik625 like this.
  13. Morrissey

Trusted

If Martin Scorsese can't get funding anymore, no one can. If it doesn't have superheroes, major studios will not fund it. There is going to be a lot of turbulence once the bottom falls out on those types of movies. By then Netflix/Amazon/Hulu will have taken over the marketplace.

14. Anthony_

I don't know if it's that he couldn't get funding or if Netflix just outbid everyone. It wouldn't be the first time they did that. They've already become a dominant force in television, moving on to film is a logical next step for them, especially with Amazon already making moves into film production (Manchester By The Sea). And financing/distributing a Scorsese film is a good way to take a big step forward on that front.

coleslawed and suicidesaints like this.
  15. I'm a big fan of Netflix and Amazon stepping in and producing films. These types of movies need to get made.

16. Morrissey

Trusted

I am referring to this quote from the article.

They would be willing to give him some sort of budget (he still is Martin Scorsese, after all) but they do not want to put in the kind of money he was originally expecting. As crazy as it sounds, 100 million is almost mid-budget nowadays, with so many blockbusters crossing the 300 million mark. It is especially surprising given that it sounds like a more stereotypical "Scorsese" film and those do well. The Wolf of Wall Street was essentially Goodfellas in the corporate world. Silence, and other projects he makes where he strays from that stereotype of him, struggle but something like The Irishman seems like a sure thing.

I have mixed feelings about it. Digital distribution is better because of the ease of access, but it is pretty tough to replicate that big-screen feeling. I have a large 4K television, but how many people are going to end up watching this on their phone or laptop? It is similar to how the conversion from CD's to mp3's made it much easier to access music but dramatically decreased the sound fidelity.

17. Anthony_

No, I know the quote, I just meant that I don't think Netflix was likely the only other party interested once Paramount made it clear they wouldn't give him what he needed. Could be wrong though, of course. It's just, given that this is Scorsese re-teaming with De Niro after many years for a new crime film, I'm a bit skeptical that nobody other than Netflix was angling for the rights to the film.

I really hate to sound traditionalist but I still love the theater experience when seeing films for the first time, especially big films that I'm looking forward to, like new films from my favorite directors. So on the one hand, yeah it's great I won't have to drop $10 to see the film in theaters, but it also sucks because I don't get to enjoy it the way I personally prefer to.

GrantCloud likes this.
  18. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'm not sure how the distribution works when Netflix has the rights, but I wouldn't be surprised if some theaters pick it up anyway.

19. Morrissey

Trusted

Probably, but not a lot. Ultimately the number of people who choose to stay home and watch it on Netflix would limit the number of theaters.

20. Anthony_

Also theater companies are petty and will refuse to screen films that release on demand and in theaters on the same day.

coleslawed likes this.
  21. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I mean, I'm not expecting a wide release or anything. Just hoping that it will be available for those of us who want to see it in a theater.

22. iCarly Rae Jepsen

run away with me Platinum

It said limited theater release to qualify for awards season, plus I imagine some older scorcese fans don't do Netflix

23. Anthony_

True. And it'll probably be very limited, like indie theaters in NYC and LA only limited.

24. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I could see Alamo Drafthouse screening it.

Zilla likes this.
  25. OhTheWater

Let it run Supporter

Baffled

fenway89 and iCarly Rae Jepsen like this.