Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The iPhone Turns 10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

This article has been imported from chorus.fm for discussion. All of the forum rules still apply.

The iPhone turned 10 today. John Gruber over at Daring Fireball has a good piece:

There is no way to overstate it. The iPhone was the inflection point where “personal computing” truly became personal. Apple had amazing product introductions before the iPhone, and it’s had a few good ones after. But the iPhone was the only product introduction I’ve ever experienced that felt impossible. Apple couldn’t have shrunk Mac OS X — a Unix-based workstation OS — to a point where it could run on a cell phone. Scrolling couldn’t be that smooth and fluid. Touchscreen response couldn’t be so responsive. Apple couldn’t possibly have gotten a major carrier to cede them control over every aspect of the device, both hardware and software. I can recall sitting the hall at Moscone West, watching the keynote unfold, 90 percent excited as hell, 10 percent concerned that I was losing my goddamn mind. Literally mind-blowing.

AlwaysEvolving21 likes this.
  2. defmytones

Regular

Great piece there, I agree when he talked about re-watching the keynote and still getting hyped 10 years later. Damn product changed the world, absolutely no question about it.

js977 and AlwaysEvolving21 like this.
  3. AlwaysEvolving21

Trusted Supporter

Feels much longer than 10 years. Crazy.

Its interesting though.....I prefer my Apple Watch over my iPhone. Having the watch gives me so much more freedom from my phone. I was addicted to my iPhone. Constantly looking up shit, texting, emails, etc....Sounds stupid, but having the watch has helped me prioritize and feel less like an addict haha. When I get a notification on my watch I don't feel the need to immediately check it/respond like I would if my phone was near me. Takes me back to when texting wasn't really a thing. It would be SO sweet if the watch had a Nextel Direct Connect/walkie talkie feature though. Those things were sweet!

Jason Tate likes this.
  4. JamesMichael

Software Engineer Prestigious

I remember watching the conference Steve Jobs put on for the iPhone 1 and been immediately drawn in by the large screen, barely any buttons, elegant interface...but most of all the ability to sync my music and phone into one. I managed to get mine on launch and for the first year I was one of the only people with an iPhone at my collage. Most were blown away seeing it and by the time the 3G came out many had one themselves. I couldnt live without my iPhone today so I'm sure it's changed my life forever.

5. ConArdist

Subgenres Should Die

Yay! Make your Siri British, you'll feel like Pierce Brosnan. Happy birthday my lover and my source of unhappiness, love ya phone!

6. emeryk3

Wharf Mice

Historic moment, no doubt.

... Android > iOS anyday though.

Raku and Turkeylegz like this.
  7. chcougar1

Trusted

Haha troll.

Jason Tate likes this.