Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Invitation (2015, Karyn Kusama) Movie

Discussion in 'Entertainment Forum' started by suicidesaints, Apr 13, 2016.

1. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

Watched this last night. Was pretty good, but I'd like to talk about a few things. Anyone else see this yet? It's out on VOD now.

2. Night Channels

Trusted

A few of us talked about it in the Horror thread

3. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

I'll go check out that thread.

One question though. Probably something dumb that I just missed, but... how did they finally get out of the house at the end? Seemed like all the doors/windows were locked and they had no way out, then suddenly after they are no longer in imminent danger, they are just outside. [/spoilers]

4. Night Channels

Trusted

David had the keys on him

5. suicidesaints

Trusted Prestigious

That makes sense. Like I said, I was probably just not paying attention.

6. Joel

Trusted Prestigious

Would have been great if it didn't succumb to all those weepy sappy cliches but it was enjoyable enough.

I love that when the girl shot main guy at the end he instantly grew so sympathetic to her. He was basically "oh you just attempted to murder me, let's cry together and I'll just exert all this effort to drag you outside for your benefit" c'mon lol

7. Nathan

Always do the right thing. Supporter

This was pretty excellent. A fantastic journey through grief in the fallout of tragedy for Will and Eden, Eden's moment at the end was heartbreaking and cathartic in a wonderful way. The house they used to share was a very effective structural metaphor for their past, and how we rely on what we remember to confront problems (to escape, Will goes to where he remembers a door to be), but things change and we can't rely or revel in the past and have to find new ways to cope and move on (the door is no longer there).

ChaseTx likes this.
  8. drstrong

I'm Back.

While I dug the movie, I didn't enjoy the final scene mainly because of the questionable scope. If you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.

Am I alone in thinking that Will's freak out toward the end was going to lead to some sort of intervention for him? I felt that the movie would only go in a couple of ways - mass suicide or that the entire thing was a set up for an intervention for Will.

9. Night Channels

Trusted

That was the intention.

10. DarkHotline

Proud To Bathe With A Rag On A Stick Prestigious

Posted this in the horror thread but I got to meet Karyn Kusama at a screening in STL last Saturday.
    [​IMG]
    Super nice lady too. About the film, loved it. Probably one of the most intense movies I've seen in a long time, was sweating and shaking in my seat.

11. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Just watched it and loved it. Maybe more than The Witch, i think.

Also it kicks ass that i was able to but this for the same price as i could see it in the theatre. (I'd like to go see it while it's still playing, but there are a few other movies i want to see and i doubt I'll end up doing it)

Night Channels likes this.
  12. Night Channels

Trusted

Had the same thought.

13. drstrong

I'm Back.

How can you even compare The Witch and The Invitation?

14. ChaseTx

Big hat enthusiast Prestigious

Just in that they're the two best horror films I've seen so far this year. Things don't need to be similar to weigh them against each other.

15. drstrong

I'm Back.

True.

I watched the original Mother's Day last night....and I really don't get the hype. I mean seriously, what about the film made it so great?

Even though not technically a Troma product, it was still made in within the Kaufman family, which is bad enough. After finally making it though this 90 minute mess, I couldn't find one single redeeming fucking quality.

I still have to watch the remake, which seems like it would be more in my wheelhouse, so I'm looking forward to that at least.