Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The iMac Pro Begins Shipping This Week

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Melody Bot, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Melody Bot

Your friendly little forum bot. Staff Member

2. elroyo

i guess, not 5k impressive. definitely aimed at people editing a lot of video.

fenway89 likes this.
  3. Arry

it was all a dream Prestigious

such a beast. i just upgraded my mbp recently. minus the usb dongles and dumb touchbar, it runs like butter

4. 200%-300% faster than my 5K iMac in 2014. Yeah, that's impressive.

fenway89 likes this.
  5. elroyo

no, i get it the specs are nice and all that but the average consumer especially on your site isn't buying mac that starts at 5k.

6. I mean, this machine is not for the average consumer though ... that's the entire point of it existing. Haha.

fenway89 likes this.
  7. oneeightytwo

Regular

If only they’d release those black accessories.

Jason Tate, fenway89 and CMilliken like this.
  8. CMilliken

Trusted

Freaking love the darker look to the body. I have a 27” iMac and do a decent amount of video editing. Would love one of these one day.

9. I want to upgrade my late '13 imac so badly...if only

fenway89 likes this.
  10. CyberInferno

Line below my username Supporter

So basically, everything Apple did with this generation'a MacBook sucks aside from upgrading the internal hardware (which is automatic for a new device)?

11. Hunter Norman

Regular

I still don't understand how someone can pay 5k for this when you could build a PC even more powerful for less. I love my MBP, don't get me wrong, but for a desktop I got way more bang for my buck with a build and video editing, along with illustration and music production is a breeze

12. Arry

pretty much

CyberInferno likes this.
  13. CyberInferno

I appreciate that you can both like a device and be honest about it at the same time.

Kuri44 and Arry like this.
  14. Arry

definitely. i'm kinda forced to work with a mac for my goofy design job so i have to live with it. i do love macs but a lot of decisions made by apple are questionable. i'm just hoping it'll make sense later in the future.

15. Do you get macOS? That’s why.

(Also this is pretty competitive price wise.)

16. monkeytarget

Crazy specs. But would never use mac for editing.

17. elroyo

apple black is a "luxury" item. i bed they'd up charge like hell

18. CyberInferno

I'm curious what is superior in your eyes about OS X. To me, window management is an absolute nightmare. Why does an app need to be specially coded to be in fullscreen, and why does it have to move it to another desktop? You can't easily split-screen apps either.

I like the sandboxed applications as they're installed (though there are still support files elsewhere). The Windows taskbar in 10 is significantly better than the dock as far as switching applications or switching windows within applications is concerned.

Lack of OS viruses/exploits is nice, but Windows has made decent strides in that regard recently as well. Plus, a lot of malware is in the browsers at this point, so it's consequently cross-platform.

19. Literally everything. From the app ecosystem, to the look and feel, to the speed, to the underlying Unix.

I completely disagree, I think window management is incredible. I've got ... 23 windows open right now while I'm working on a project.

Because, unlike Windows, most of the times you should never have an app full screen anyway. Biggest misconception from Windows users moving to macOS is to just make a window fill the entire screen. Super inefficient. However, if there are a few apps that you want to take up the whole screen, then you can. On my laptop I usually have Reeder and email full screen so I can swipe on the trackpad over to them if I need them.

Yeah you can. Hold down on the full screen/green window button and there's a simple split screen. Or just let the windows snap together next to each other. Or use something like Moom (my favorite; because of the keyboard shortcuts), or Magnet (what a lot of people like).

God no. But I think if you're using a taskbar or dock to switch windows or apps you're already doing things inefficiently.

I think Safari's the best browser too.

20. Hunter Norman

Regular

Fair point. On my last build I just did what I've usually done in the past for desktops and installed a dual boot partition for windows 10 and macOS, so I have my choice whether I'm working or playing. That works great for coding, editing, photoshop/illustrator, music production, etc. I've been forced to use both over the last 15 years so I have my habits and preferences. This is one reason why I kept my MBP 2012 and upgraded the shit out of it, so I can just plug into my monitors and use it primarily, but I guess I've just gotten more attuned to the windows desktop.