Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Housekeeping, Decorating, and Furnishing Thread • Page 27

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChaseTx, Mar 13, 2016.

1. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

My walls are all bare, but all the outside walls are concrete/brick so I'm hesitant to hang anything. I should look into those command strip things. I love the neon though.

2. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

For the last 10 years i've pretty much only hung things via command strips. They are a great for even big things if you can figure out the right placement of them.

bigmike, colorlesscliche and Joe4th like this.
  3. Carmen SD

Trusted

This may be a long shot but I'm looking for input? The count down is coming until I move into my own place. A part of me is not ready, but I need it. For a long time I wanted to move back out, but my depression has been so bad for nearly a year that it partly feels "off" to be on my own. I have never felt this way before.

I thought I mad most things. My dad was going to let me take this old, but still in good condition couch, but now has to "think about it" because he thinks my cat will tear it up (my kitty does scratch furniture sometimes). I'm trying to look into a futon because its cheap, but I want an actual couch if my dad doesn't let me take the one we have. I have not seen the particular unit I will have and i hope it's more roomy than I think it is.

Anyone have any advice on budget saving? Saving on electric bills, etc? How to not feel lonely when you have no friends?

4. Iain

Regular

Just been furloughed for 3 weeks from work. So going to be trying to spend as much of it doing my neglected garden!!! #weeding

Cameron, bigmike and Serenity Now like this.
  5. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

Sounds like a positive use of your free time. I’m about to be in a similar situation. Bet I’ll be doing the same.

himynameisiain and bigmike like this.
  6. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Yep. I’m gonna be de-weeding the side of my house big time here pretty soon.

himynameisiain and Mr. Serotonin like this.
  7. Iain

Regular

Snap - that's my plan for tomorrow. I have a fair bit of moss about the place too. crappy clothes and good podcasts to get through it.

The only thing i dont like is i stay in a quite cul-de-sac (which is great), but full of oldies and people who work from home. So kind of feel doing anything in my front garden can be a spectator sport sometimes!!! [Probably in my head as i know nothin about gardening]

Serenity Now, bigmike and Cameron like this.
  8. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Lol

9. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

I know the feeling. Luckily my court are all about my age give 6-7 years, and they’re always out doing yard work too.

himynameisiain and bigmike like this.
  10. Carmen SD

Trusted

Anyone know where I can purchase a "floor couch" besides the internet. Im in search of a light weight sofa that I can possible carry upstairs myself

11. Joe4th

Memories are nice, but that's all they are. Prestigious

BA368A4F-A68A-4483-A738-9E58EFDE77D7.jpeg
    Set up my office/hangout area this past week

12. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

I used a drill for the first time. Unfort my first attempt was command strips and it peeled the paint

IMG_20200426_163121.jpg

coleslawed, mercury, Cameron and 3 others like this.
  13. Put in a new patio two weeks ago

MVIMG_20200419_163407.jpg

14. Cameron

FKA nowFace Prestigious

Ugh. Sprinkler repair is the bane of my existence. I swear I’m always fixing valves/pipes/sprinkler heads.

anyone else have issues?

15. Carmen SD

Trusted

Any good with small space organization?. I feel like I asked this a long time ago. My apt has this tiny ass closet that is very narrow that I use as a pantry. I’m trying to organize it better but can’t find any good ideas online. My main thing being all my spices. I also don’t have tall shelves in my kitchen so some oils and sauces have to be stored elsewhere.

16. Not sure how narrow you are talking but I have this in one of my cabinets

MVIMG_20200517_170857.jpg

coleslawed, RJ Knorr and bigmike like this.
  17. Carmen SD

Trusted

This is what I have. Most of my spices are in that top box
    DF37FEB4-0AB9-47F9-AEF5-EC7A14DFD716.jpeg

spiffa0 likes this.
  18. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

EDBC72B3-2D82-41AA-8512-6822A013CE8A.jpeg
    For spices, we use a few different things. To the left is a mini ‘step ladder’ for spices with three steps. You could easily fit 5–6 spices on each step - probably more.

on the right, you can fit another 18. Each drawer pulls out and extends down. you can fit 6 per drawer.

bigmike likes this.
  19. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

First, I would get rid of the wire shelf. If you're handy, I'd build a free-standing unit to fit your needs. Spices don't need that much head room so they can be smaller compartments than stuff like tall syrup bottles.

Ikea is another route. Just need to find one that fits in that space. These are great because they shelves are adjustable.

BILLY Bookcase, white, 15 3/4x11x79 1/2" - IKEA

[​IMG]

20. EddieDS

Regular Supporter

if you have a drawer available, i highly recommend storing spices with these ikea inserts. makes it so much easier to keep your spices organized and accessible!

21. Carmen SD

Trusted

I like the one on the right. It fits more of what I’m looking for and for the space that I have, but I’m currently on a SUPER tight budget (which doesn’t make things easier). I also like the wall mounted ones, but I can’t wall mount anything right now and the rack is on the pricier side.

As for the other comments above, the wire shelf is all that I have right now without having to go out and buy something new.

The drawer is a good idea, only I don’t have an extra drawer. I also don’t have a lot of counter space to get a counter organizer either.

22. Carmen SD

Trusted

Also how do people organize their apartment refrigerators/basic refrigerators. I've been trying to look for ideas online, but sometimes I think they have a different definition of what "small" is.

edit: sometimes I feel like these "organizers"/ideas don't really create any additional room, it's just making things look "tidy"

23. BlueEyesBrewing

Trusted Supporter

24. Carmen SD

Trusted

BlueEyesBrewing likes this.
  25. Carmen SD

Trusted

Best budget dish soap?

I’m currently using Ajax, but feel like I need to use more soap (compared to like dawn) and also feel like it leaves a residue.