Remove ads, unlock a dark mode theme, and get other perks by upgrading your account. Experience the website the way it's meant to be.

The Housekeeping, Decorating, and Furnishing Thread • Page 21

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ChaseTx, Mar 13, 2016.

1. thesoftskeleton Jan 29, 2018
    (Last edited: Jan 29, 2018)
    thesoftskeleton

Trusted

95C960D1-E3FA-464A-B471-32CF78FF1A4D.jpeg
    Here’s my gallery wall thing. Mostly stuff I acquired for free or from the thrift store. Only thing that isn’t is music banner which I purchased at target and it was in the Christmas $5 bins
    1FDF1F9E-A450-4C0A-8579-66AB68539316.jpeg
    The grid thing is something I really made loosely basing it off these organizational grids I saw for sale (below). Mine is a dog crate I purchased from thrift store for about $2. I took it a part. Used hooks and bins from ikea for plants to display various things. Pictures I am able to just slide behind into it. As someone who collects a lot of stuff, organizing and displaying it in this way more practical and also fun. I mean to have plants on it is really cool. Also use it to organize glasses and some jewelry which comes in handy too.
    DC11BDCE-BBCD-4B56-AC82-5C1178AEBDA8.jpeg

I thrifted this runner rug that is Magnolia brand originally and I believe currently being sold at Nebraska furniture mart! I got on a 50% off day at thrift so it was only $8 I believe.below is original price of 199
    D8DD8DDE-9FD3-4100-B8F4-00EFE250A492.jpeg
    C4CF8350-EF39-420D-9D31-A139E6705F13.png
    Here’s also an important pic my roommate got at an estate sale. It’s an original watercolor and signed so it was too cute to pass up. Both my roommate and I work in art and design (she’s an art restorer and I work for an online auction house for jewelry, art, furniture, antiques, vintage, etc so we know waaayyy too much about value and also how things are made. it’s good cause we know when we are getting a deal but we also have a hard time letting things go cause we know what things are too well and it’s be a shame to pass up)
    BC37FC06-522B-4B90-9158-D9F604DD1CFD.jpeg

Yasqueen4, ChaseTx, dylan and 2 others like this.
  2. Yasqueen4

Trusted

IMG_20180213_191505378_LL.jpg
    Favorite little place in my house right now

ChaseTx and Kiana like this.
  3. Yasqueen4

Trusted

IMG_20180210_142510977_LL.jpg
    And getting my guest room together finally.

ChaseTx and Kiana like this.
  4. Yasqueen4

Trusted

That dresser is everything.

5. thesoftskeleton

Trusted

Oh thanks! I didn’t bring it with me when I moved so now it resides with my parents. It was my grandmas and it’s really nice but it was really hard to put things in the drawers cause it was like wavy and things didn’t fit properly lol.

6. Kiana

Goddamn, man child Prestigious

QUEER EYE IS RUINING MY LIFE

Just bought a bunch of stuff to organize my apartment and my life, but at what cost?!?!?!

7. Kiana

Update: lugged everything up to my apartment and now I don't wanna do the actual organizing required of the things I bought whhhhhy am I this way it has just been sitting here for hours

awwgereee likes this.
  8. Kiana

Update again. I got off my butt and did some stuff. I didn't get it all done cause I need to buy more hangers and storage bins but my room actually kinda feels like a room now. Last year I bought this cube storage dresser thing and I broke it as I was putting it together cause I'm an idiot, but today I tried to fix it and it's actually passable and makes my room look so much better. Glad I was too stubborn to throw it out.

ChaseTx, awwgereee and MrCon like this.
  9. theagentcoma

yeah good okay Prestigious

I just cleaned our whole apartment (so much dog hair) so I feel kinda accomplished. I try to do it for my wife since she is literally working/going to school 7 days a week. She's coming back from Canada tonight so it should be a nice thing to come home to hopefully

10. Kiana

Every time I put together furniture I'm like okay I've put together a lot of things like I got this. No. I never have this. Experience means nothing. If never gets any easier!!

11. scroopy.noopers

: (

I'm moving in a few hrs so I'm subbing this thread for ideas/inspiration. Side note: moving is the fucking worst

12. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

True that. When my wife and I moved out of our apartment and into our house, I hired a moving company and it was THE best money I've ever spent in my entire life. They got everything done in like, 3 hours. Would have taken us two weeks to do everything they did.

awwgereee and MrCon like this.
  13. Kiana

To me the worst part about moving is having to throw out or sell so much junk. Like random clutter that people who don't know you well buy for you and old papers and just junk. I try to do better now and go thru my stuff periodically to see what's needed and what isn't because clutter is my enemy. I got so irritated and overwhelmed when i moved last year that i made my mom just take the rest of my stuff and sell it cause I couldn't deal

MrCon and awwgereee like this.
  14. scroopy.noopers

: (

Totally worth it. Me and my partner moved from a 1.5 bedroom apt to a .5 bedroom and still hired movers lol. The packing/unpacking process still sucks tho.

15. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

The movers got our washer and dryer out of a very narrow room and onto their moving truck in like, three minutes. That would have been an all-day job for me, haha. Then when they brought it to my house, they put it in our basement exactly where it needed to go (along with every other single item).

16. Max_123

Nope. Prestigious

Anyone have suggestions for a good home security company? We have ADT and have had nothing but problems with their hardware, and their customer service is by far the worst i've ever dealt with. A few of our neighbors have Vivint and on the surface it looks great (but pricey), but the consumer reviews are pretty bad for them too. We like the whole package that comes with Vivint, so something like that would be great. It just seems impossible to find a respectable home security company :/

17. Kiana

I always say I don't really believe in ghosts but when I'm looking around at apartments or houses I've never been in, the first thing I do is determine if it looks haunted.

Also garbage bags are amazing. I broke a plate and put the shards of glass in the trashbag and took it out later that week and it didn't even tear ITS LIKE THE COMMERCIALS.

18. Yardwork can be extremely satisfying. I spent the last two weeks ripping out 10 to 12 bushes, ripping out the edging pavers and installing new edging pavers in this large planter bed that wraps around my front and side yard. It will look great when I do the mulch.

I then plan on building my own planters to put in the bed instead of planting directly in the ground.

19. Kiana

Yardwork is like the #1 reason I never want to own and/or live in a home

20. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Bit the bullet this year and hired a landscaping company who will be doing quite a bit of work on my house this Saturday. Edging, weeding, mulching, trimming, pulling/planting bushes and removing my beds around my patio and instead planting grass. All for $400. Way cheaper than I would have imagined.

21. RJ Knorr

Trusted Supporter

Thats impressive! My house really needs all of that work done. I haven’t contacted anyone but I just assumed I would need at least $1000 to have someone else do it

22. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

Same. I thought it would have been well over $1,000. For me just to mulch would have cost a few hundred dollars alone.

RJ Knorr likes this.
  23. Serenity Now

deliver us from e-mail Supporter

I knew i was charging way too little for mulch! :cringe:

24. ncarrab

Prestigious Supporter

I do have to purchase new plants/bushes though (and landscaper will plant them for me 'free of charge'). I went to a local garden yesterday and bushes, trees and shrubs were 40% off so I bought 3 bushes and two trees all for $112. I think I'm going to go back tonight or tomorrow to get some more stuff because I didn't realize it was 40% off until I got to checkout and when I got home, I realized I could probably use some more stuff once he takes out a lot of other things.

25. colorlesscliche

Trusted Prestigious

Did he recommend stuff based on location (sun/shade) or size? Local flower place by me will come and do a survey of your yard, recommend stuff, show you pictures, etc. Made it a lot easier to narrow down what should go where.